Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1605 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
I saw Prometheus last year in Hong Kong when it came out and it wasn't until I read this movie review of it that I could feel satisfied. I mean this in all serious, the following is the greatest movie review that I have ever read. It's not so much a review as a cliff's notes. Meant only for people who've already seen the film.

Prometheus in Fifteen Minutes
http://m15m.livejournal.com/23209.html?nojs=1

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1606 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
I enjoyed Evil Dead 2013.  My wife didn't appreciate that I spent the rest of the evening occasionally getting possessed and threatening to eat her soul. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #1607 on: July 28, 2013, 06:09:52 AM »
I enjoyed Evil Dead 2013.  My wife didn't appreciate that I spent the rest of the evening occasionally getting possessed and threatening to eat her soul. ahahahahah

And this was different ... how?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1608 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »

And this was different ... how?

Post-movie wife annoyance is usually particular to the movie or genre.  For Alien movies, I've usually got a problem with one trying to hatch out of my chest.  For zombie movies, I typically try to eat her brains.  If it's a Twilight flick, I either sit there like a gay, sparkly vampire aaaaaaaaaa, or, if Jake is in it, there's always the infinitely better werewolf option.

We really need one more Twilight movie - a crossover with Blade.

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1609 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
I saw Prometheus last year in Hong Kong when it came out and it wasn't until I read this movie review of it that I could feel satisfied. I mean this in all serious, the following is the greatest movie review that I have ever read. It's not so much a review as a cliff's notes. Meant only for people who've already seen the film.

Prometheus in Fifteen Minutes
http://m15m.livejournal.com/23209.html?nojs=1

My husband and I agree: Prometheus was basically Lovecraft.

« Reply #1610 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »
Prometheus would have been so much better of Lovecraft had written it.  agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1611 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
Prometheus would have been so much better of Lovecraft had written it.  agagagagag

*gasp*  Holy Snot!  ETR and I agree on a point involving both a modern movie AND classic literature.

I can feel the fabric of the universe itself crying out in pain over the strain this is causing. aoaoaoaoao

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1612 on: July 31, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
The Colony

Great CGI. Otherwise, meh. More like a pilot for a fairly boring scifi serial than a movie with a story.

And actually, for a Canadian scifi serial that isn't boring: Continuum.

It's well into the second season now and is a cop drama verging on the dystopic. A revolutionary anarchist group from the future is marooned in the present and believes they can destroy the oppressive society they escaped by undermining the existence of corporations in the present. (Perhaps a tad over-acted sometimes, but still likable.)

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1613 on: July 31, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
continuum, the one with amanda tapping trying to be british? cant watch it due to that, but love sg1. how about evolution? sci fi where technology has gone, quite good in the absence of a good star trek dvd...

« Reply #1614 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Nope, not Stargate. This is the one with Rachel Nicols' frown:

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1615 on: August 01, 2013, 02:12:13 AM »
continuum, the one with amanda tapping trying to be british? cant watch it due to that, but love sg1. how about evolution? sci fi where technology has gone, quite good in the absence of a good star trek dvd...

I feel as though I should like 'Continuum' and 'Revolution'. I feel as though I'm a geek.

However, my actual favourite programmes of recent times.

'Orange is the New Black'. There's a thing called The Bechdel Test which asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. (Very few films or Tv programmes do, and those that do it's usually just in isolated scene or two. Even Continuum whose main character is female, almost never has a conversation with another woman.

But OitNB is all Bechdel. It's about inmates at a female prison. Written by the writer of 'Weeds', and just as you don't have to be a black drug dealer to appreciate 'The Wire', you don't have to be a woman to appreciate writing and characterisation this good.

'The Returned'. As long as you're prepared to be one of the roughly 50% (including me) who hated the final episode of season 1, this French drama is interesting.

'Under the dome' An adaptation of Stephen King's novel. The novel was an interesting concept with a crap ending, (for many people a common criticism of King) but the TV series has taken the good, ejected the bad, and is excellent. The characters are much more complex, and the story is significantly different, including apparently the reason for the dome.

'The Fall'. Maybe i'm not really a geek, because at heart I like a good police drama. Broadchurch was pretty good, but this drama set in northern Ireland is my pick, and Gillian Anderson is amazing. The actress always comes across as snooty, arrogant and rude with a British accent. Luckily, that's exactly the character she had to play here (most of the series was basically written for her) and she is correspondingly mesmerising.

After writing this, I've read a guardian article
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/28/returned-game-thrones-best-tv-2013
 which has all these programmes (except dome) and even mentions the Bechdel test. I'm clearly just an archetypal Guardian reader. A bit depressing frankly that I'm incapable of forming an opinion that hasn't already appeared in The Guardian.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1616 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
God bless the Grauniad  ababababab
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1617 on: August 03, 2013, 04:37:52 AM »
Saw "Only God Forgives". It's basically a remake of The Shining by people with a minimalism fetish and an abhorrence for originality. I don't think there was a single frame of this film that I haven't seen in other films in my lifetime.

On the plus side, not quite as stupid as "Drive" made by the same ripoff artist and starring the same Gosling.

My sincere apologies to Mr. Kubrick for mentioning you in the same post, but they tried to rip you off. As if.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1618 on: August 03, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »
Saw "Only God Forgives". It's basically a remake of The Shining by people with a minimalism fetish and an abhorrence for originality. I don't think there was a single frame of this film that I haven't seen in other films in my lifetime.

On the plus side, not quite as stupid as "Drive" made by the same ripoff artist and starring the same Gosling.

My sincere apologies to Mr. Kubrick for mentioning you in the same post, but they tried to rip you off. As if.

I quite liked some of the bits in that 'Valhalla Rising' that he did. It wasn't really a film but it had some nice bits in it

« Reply #1619 on: August 03, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
"Much Ado About Nothing" Joss Whedon's  version of Shakespeare's breezy comedy, is getting good reviews here. I must confess to not having read Shakespeare's play, but I kept wondering why Don John wanted to stop a marriage and why Shakespeare bothered to write about it. Perhaps it is just me, but I really found it strange to hear men going on about romance in such detail. I'd really love to hear the views of anyone else who has seen it, particularly from a male point of view.

"Behind the Candelabra". As one review said, "If Liberace hadn't been a real person, no one would have had the nerve to invent him". I thought that Michael Douglas, as Liberace, played a really great part and I was surprised to see Matt Damon playing his young lover. Again, I don't know what the guys will think of this movie, but I heard my female neighbour gasp a few times at the kissing and the sex scenes. ahahahahah  To be honest, all I could really see was the  sadness behind all the glitter of a really great entertainer.