Global web tightens around accused pedophile

• 36 replies
Re: Global web tightens around accused pedophile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 05:28:23 AM »
My info said he would be charged in Thailand for offences allegedly carried out in 2003.

So he might not get to Canada.
TV news (BBC or CNN,  don't recall which) said that too, and mentioned a possible 20 year sentence.

Canada wants to extradite him. What about Vietnam and Cambodia? Presumably if the Thais have charges pending, those get dealt with first. But then what? How would they decide who gets to extradite first?

I guess it's a question of which country can make the most compelling case to get the next crack at him. It's also possible that the Thais and the Canadians could cut a deal whereby he might be tried in Canada for crimes committed in Thailand, since this is a possibility under Canadian law.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »
Speaking of paedophiles, the fear of them is so great that a bunch of ignorant people attacked a paediatrician, since they couldn't tell the difference. Strange but true.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »
That one would NOT surprise me.  This is why it is grossly unjust to name people, toss their totally indistinct photos into public forums etc. 

People are way too keen on lynch mobs even in this day and age.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 08:23:59 AM »
Even?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 12:15:42 PM »
When we are supposedly more civilised and recognise justice truth and ....

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 03:33:52 PM »
Speaking of paedophiles, the fear of them is so great that a bunch of ignorant people attacked a paediatrician, since they couldn't tell the difference. Strange but true.

Are you SURE that's a true story? I recall hearing something similar a few years ago while I was in the UK. Maybe it's one of those "urban myths".

Mr Nobody

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »
Fairly sure. Read it in the God Delusion by Dawkins, where it came with references. Don't think he would report an urban myth as truth.

I think it took place in the UK, yes.