A Sobering Service

• 8 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
A Sobering Service
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:36 PM »
The good folks at TESall have started a new service that deserves a look. They're seeking general public help looking for English teachers that have gone missing while abroad. Pretty chilling stuff.

http://www.tesall.com/international/viewtopic.php?t=956
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

Re: A Sobering Service
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:21 AM »
This is Creepy, Scary!!  And I notice that (so far) all the missing teachers are young MEN!!  What gives?!?  It's not like a Westerner can just melt into the woodwork, is it?
Moderation....in most things...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:17:04 AM »
I've often wondered what the statistics on this sort of thing were.Hats off to TESALL for providing this much needed and  long overdue service.

Vegemite

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:22:33 AM »
It's not like a Westerner can just melt into the woodwork, is it?

One young woman melted into the woodwork up here...

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
It's not like a Westerner can just melt into the woodwork, is it?

One young woman melted into the woodwork up here...

Maybe her family/friends should post info of her "melting into the woodwork."

Vegemite

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »
She was teaching further north and just disappeared. It happened a few months prior to our arrival. Apparently there was a big hunt for her but she was never found.

It was actually in the town I first applied for a job, but they wouldn't have me as they said it wasn't safe for a sole-mum with a child.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
That's another great thing about the Saloon: youcan let dozens of people know where you are, and whether you're safe.  You're never too old to leave a trail of breadcrumbs.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 05:58:46 AM »
A very sobering reality. I often tell people how safe I feel in China. So safe that I find myself letting my guard down quite a lot. After reading this, I think I'll start paying more attention to my own safety.

Thanks for posting this Raoul.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Mimi

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
A friend of mine joined the Peace Corps and is now teaching in South America.  In her classes with adult males, they all hold up cameras and take pictures of her, all while saying very disgusting things in Spanish (which she majored in and can unfortunately understand).  China seems very safe by comparison, but I think everyone has to remember that they are the outsiders, and have to act accordingly.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 04:10:40 AM »
I do feel much safer here than I would have at home, doing some of the things I do.  I figure I am clearly noticeable, and anyone trying to kidnap me etc would be noticed pretty soon.

I have walked back from the centre of the city at 2:00am, stopping to chat with workers etc on the way, walked through small alleyways hone by myself at 4:00am.

At home - no way would I do this stuff. I am very aware of where my purse, camera etc is all the time, and I walk confidently and I do chat to people - so plenty of people will be able to say where I last was.