Tasked-based Learning

• 5 replies

CWL

Tasked-based Learning
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:56:52 AM »
I read through the previous thread discussing Project-based Learning:  http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=4857.msg93531#msg93531
Interesting but protracted.

I have been requested to do a short demo lesson using task-based learning for a freshman conversation English class (university in Korea). 
I dislike demos of this nature, but would like to complete if possible.  Any suggestions for topics / activities focusing on oral English that are practical for a short demo lesson?

old34

Re: Tasked-based Learning
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »
I read through the previous thread discussing Project-based Learning:  http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=4857.msg93531#msg93531
Interesting but protracted.

I have been requested to do a short demo lesson using task-based learning for a freshman conversation English class (university in Korea). 
I dislike demos of this nature, but would like to complete if possible.  Any suggestions for topics / activities focusing on oral English that are practical for a short demo lesson?

Sorry you found it protracted. But that's pretty much the nature of Project-based Learning. TBL on a larger scale. For your expected demo lesson, what's the topic/target language/gist the school/TC wants you to cover? Knowing those will help a lot in suggesting structuring a TBL lesson.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

CWL

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
I apologize.  I was not intent on criticizing.  The demo lesson is short.  Hence, no need for an extended PBL.  10 minutes.  No topic given.  Freshman conversation English.

I liked what was discussed about PBL and would look towards that as a strategy should I transition to teaching English at the university level.  I can see a link between TBL and PBL and can vision PBL as a netting for multiple lessons utilizing TBL.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:51:23 AM »
Do...

Opinion    Reason    Example

Give them some vocab for each one   (Opinion: I think, IMO, in my view....        Reason: because....   therefore.....       Example: For example, such as etc etc)

and then give them short role plays to use those

Demo classes are so annoying, totally different skill to working with a class, but I suppose it's good to have some stuff for show

CWL

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:12:56 AM »
I like.  Thanks.

I will develop something using this in the future.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
I like.  Thanks.

I will develop something using this in the future.

I sneak that into everything I use, it's the same as

Verb Adjective Noun

It is really easy, but they don't seem to do it at school.