Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: February 26, 2013, 12:35:05 AM

Best Picture Winner

• 61 replies

A-Train

Best Picture Winner
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
Not that easy a choice this year.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Best Picture Winner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:30 AM »
I always wonder - Les Miserable than who? mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:14 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:16:35 AM »
Hardy ha, ha, EL!

I have no idea why Silver Linings Playbook is on this list...what were they thinking? Les Mis HAS to win- I can go get hit by a truck now, I have seen the BEST movie ever made!

Life of Pi was pretty damn good too!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
Don't frighten me like that! Do you know that I have seen them all (and MANY others) and I can't recall a couple of those listed there. bibibibibi NO! I don't go to sleep in the movies, I just put them out of my mind. Les Mis is also my choice.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Granny, how was Silver Linings if you've seen it then? Any particular reason it would be right up there to be Oscar material?

I like rom-coms like the rest of us, but seriously??!!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
Argo is going to win. It's the type of movie academy members like. It reminds them of the type of movies Hollywood used to make all the time before teenagers became their target market. An entertaining, well-done, thriller along the lines of All the President's Men, The Insider, etc. Silver Linings Playbook could sneak in. It's another type of movie that academy members typically like. A romantic comedy with a feel good ending that's just different enough (mental illness, sports, great acting) to set it apart from the usual romantic comedies. Think Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan. If it was up to me Django Unchained would win. It was the best movie I've seen this year by a wide margin. Nothing else came close.

I thought Les Mis was terrible. I had to stop the movie once I realized that every line was going to be sung, about 5 minutes in. I don't mind musicals. I just don't like one's where every line of dialogue is sung.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
How are people voting Argo? That movie was mere hair and cigarettes compared to Zero Dark Thirty. Life of Pi is too Indian. Amour, I haven't seem, but it's French and scary because old people are old. The Miserable by contrast were jolly and you could sing along. Django was too black, Linings too crazy, and the others I haven't seen. So, toss up between which affects the American Psyche most: presidents, current military hegemony, or fantasy?

Beasts or Zero. Can't decide until I've seem the former, which may be never.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
Granny, how was Silver Linings if you've seen it then? Any particular reason it would be right up there to be Oscar material?

I like rom-coms like the rest of us, but seriously??!!

I thought that Bradley Cooper played his part very well indeed. Jennifer Lawrence was also good. In my opinion, anyone could have played the parts of Robert De Niro and Jackie weaver. I wasn't bored with it, and ultimately, I believe it came down to Bradley Cooper's acting because he had plenty of scope with his character.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
I also enjoyed Argo and I thought that Pi was lousy compared to the book.I also don't get the whole 3D thing  think it is a gimmick which added nothing to the overall feel of the movie.In Avatar it was ok in Pi it was "de trop" and just gave me a headache
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

A-Train

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »

How are people voting Argo?

Well, it's about Hollywood coming to the rescue and saving lives. Like voting yourself a Nobel Peace Prize. As opposed to "Zero Dark Thirty" which some think condones torture. Probably an easy decision for many members of the Academy. 

I too would vote for "Zero Dark Thirty" followed by "Beasts of the Southern Wild". I thought "Argo" had a great premise, but was a cookie-cutter film.

"Silver Linings Playbook" does not belong on this list, I agree. Yes, Bradley Cooper showed something as an actor that I've never seen from him before.  He shed that "pretty boy" demeanor for a convincing, troubled adult. But the movie completely wastes Jacki Weaver and De Niro makes the most out of a pretty silly character.

"Django Unchained" was the most fun to watch and Tarantino should get a Best Screenplay Oscar for just about everything he writes. Chrisoph Waltz is as entertaining as anything on screen, but unfortunately for him, any time D. Day Lewis finishes a project, the other actors might as well just sit back in their chairs, open up a box of JuJu Beans and watch him collect the statue.

Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"
Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"
Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"
Directors: "Spielberg", "Lincoln".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
Well, we got it right.  "Argo" it is, for better or worse.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
I thought Argo was good..well..actually, I thought the last fifteen minutes were good, the remainder of the movie was blah...Lincoln was good too, though primarily due to the performance by Daniel Day-Lewis, I thought very little of Tarantino's blood'n'gore fest and the feel-good flick with Cooper and Lawrence is just not something I want to watch.
Best Picture...I don't even understand the criteria for choosing it.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
As they said in the movie "Argo F**k yourself"! To be quite honest, it just confirms the fact that I see things differently from most folk and I would be no good at all on that type of selection panel. Don't get me wrong though, I liked the movie.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
I'd only seen Life of Pi from that lot, Argo and Django are the only ones I'm interested in seeing
The trouble with those 'worthy' films like Argo/ZeroDark30 etc is it that when you do some research it always turns out that the 'history' is totally wrong