0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: February 26, 2013, 12:35:05 AM

Best Picture Winner

• 61 replies

A-Train

Re: Best Picture Winner
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

The trouble with those 'worthy' films like Argo/ZeroDark30 etc is it that when you do some research it always turns out that the 'history' is totally wrong
I am so tired of this argument. It surfaces EVERY time a movie is released that contains a historical character or event. It's a drama, not a documentary. If you want the facts, read a book. Do you really expect an historical lesson in 90 minutes about anything of importance? Let's just all agree that every movie every made or about to be made, based on actual events, is highly flawed. That would eliminate three-fourths of the useless discussion and get us back to what was actually on the screen.

Besides, as you said yourself, it got you to do some research. If a movie can get us to do that much I'd call it a huge success compared to its errors of fact.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »

The trouble with those 'worthy' films like Argo/ZeroDark30 etc is it that when you do some research it always turns out that the 'history' is totally wrong
I am so tired of this argument. It surfaces EVERY time a movie is released that contains a historical character or event. It's a drama, not a documentary. If you want the facts, read a book. Do you really expect an historical lesson in 90 minutes about anything of importance? Let's just all agree that every movie every made or about to be made, based on actual events, is highly flawed. That would eliminate three-fourths of the useless discussion and get us back to what was actually on the screen.

Besides, as you said yourself, it got you to do some research. If a movie can get us to do that much I'd call it a huge success compared to its errors of fact.

Of course it depends on the subject and so on, but I would argue that film makers do have a responsibility to tell the truth when it is assumed that they are. ZD30 is the perfect of example of the dangers of taking 'artistic liberties'.
In the film they find out where Bin Laden is hiding using information that they gained using torture, this makes a very strong statement about something in real life that has affected people all over the world and it frames this question of whether torture is justified in extreme situations and so on. But the information that helped find OBL didn't come from torture in real life like the film implies, it's getting it's 'kudos' from real crimes that America and Al Qaieda committed against innocent people and then making up a bunch of stuff about it

A-Train

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »
I understand the dangers, but they of viewers' naivete, laziness and/or stupidity not of the movie. It's like believing every post you see on the internet. Yes, if the movie's producers sell it as fact, they have a responsibility to be true to their word, but it seems to be always "based on actual events". It's up to us to suss out the truth.

I used to get upset about factual errors too, but I think I can trace my change of heart to the movie "JFK". It was filled with errors of fact and intent, (and the passage of time has proved it to be even more inaccurate), yet it remains one of my favorite movies of all time and I highly recommend it.

On the other hand, the movie "United 95" purports to be factual and lives up to that as far as it can. But even there it depicts moments on the plane that no one could know happened, but these moments fit in with the facts that we do have and the viewer believe them, not believe them or just watch and react. Directors are artists not historians.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »
Film producers have absolutely no duty or responsibility to tell the truth, which is why movies like "Argo" begins with the phrase "Based on real events", not the phrase "A trtuhful, factually correct movie version of real events". If people want to learn the real facts, they can read the book the movie is based on but for movies it is all about one thing...bums in seats and for that one has to play to what the audience wants.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:01 AM »
It is kind of sad that Argo Americanized the real story.  llllllllll llllllllll The Canadian Ambassador who was in Iran is quite upset about the movie and how it changed what really happened.  asasasasas asasasasas llllllllll 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »
Reading history written by the winners to get the truth eh?

A-Train

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 03:21:22 AM »
Reading history written by the winners to get the truth eh?

Definition of History: "A lie, agreed upon".

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »

"A lie, agreed upon".

That may just be the definition of the truth.

xwarrior

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
It is kind of sad that Argo Americanized the real story.  llllllllll llllllllll The Canadian Ambassador who was in Iran is quite upset about the movie and how it changed what really happened.  asasasasas asasasasas llllllllll 

New Zealand is so angry about the misrepresentation of its role in the saga that it is considering taking legal action. 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

A-Train

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
The hair care company, "Just For Men" has also filed suit.

Pearl S. Buck

NATO

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
I've heard of 3 of those and seen none.  agagagagag

A-Train

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
I've heard of 3 of those and seen none.  agagagagag

Any books you haven't read?

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »
Argo HAHAHA

Just another reason why some people have trouble with (REAL) history. They learn it from television and movies.   bibibibibi

As a side note, I went to parochial school. When the hit "Jesus Christ: Superstar" came out, we asked one priest what he thought of it. He replied that it was an excellent musical and he loved it. Too bad it wasn't true. Based on a real story, but missed the mark. Argo does the same

The g/f loved Les Miz. She was also shocked when I gave her a rundown on who the principals were. Also about half the 30-odd spectators vacated the theatre in the first half hour
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »
I just heard this on Q107 (a Toronto Rock Station)

Ben Afflict (sp?) is going to make 2 more movies; the first will be a recreation ot the 1972 Summit Series where the United States beats Russia 8-0 in all eight games. The other movie is the Miracle on Ice where the United States beats Canada 10-0 for the Stanley Cup  

mmmmmmmmmm
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 03:56:25 AM »
I just heard this on Q107 (a Toronto Rock Station)

Ben Afflict (sp?) is going to make 2 more movies; the first will be a recreation ot the 1972 Summit Series where the United States beats Russia 8-0 in all eight games. The other movie is the Miracle on Ice where the United States beats Canada 10-0 for the Stanley Cup 

mmmmmmmmmm

What crap! Everybody knows Russia beat the U.S. by a field goal in game seven of the world series that year.

Pearl S. Buck