Marriage, moving and the VISA

• 22 replies
Re: Marriage, moving and the VISA
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 02:16:03 AM »
Well you don't have to get a marriage RP just because you're married. If you have a job and a work RP just keep it. If you're unemployed for awhile the marriage RP can be a way to stay in the country with your spouse, but then once you find work again you can cancel the marriage RP and get your job to sponsor you for a work RP (this may or may not involve trips out of the country, coming back in on a Z, the whole rigamaroll). It is a hassle, no doubt, so only get the marriage RP if you're really stuck.

The only nice thing about your marriage RP really is that it is always there as an option. You will never be faced with having to leave the country because you don't have a visa, no matter what your job status is, and if you have a family here that's a huge relief.

old34

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »
Well you don't have to get a marriage RP just because you're married. If you have a job and a work RP just keep it. If you're unemployed for awhile the marriage RP can be a way to stay in the country with your spouse, but then once you find work again you can cancel the marriage RP and get your job to sponsor you for a work RP (this may or may not involve trips out of the country, coming back in on a Z, the whole rigamaroll). It is a hassle, no doubt, so only get the marriage RP if you're really stuck.

The only nice thing about your marriage RP really is that it is always there as an option. You will never be faced with having to leave the country because you don't have a visa, no matter what your job status is, and if you have a family here that's a huge relief.

Thanks for confirming it. That should answer WY's questions.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 05:37:44 AM »
I've done this, when a job/change of res permit fell through at the last minute. Waited a few years (may even have indulged in a bit of under the table work, but shhhh) but when real work beckoned, I went back to Canada for the Z and started the whole process over again. Being clean and legal is so much nicer than looking over your shoulder.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
I can also reconfirm most of the above.  I kept my work RP when I got married.

Currently, I'm counting the days weeks months years until I'm qualified to apply for a green card.  If I had a huge pile of cash, I could shave a couple years off that.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »
I can also reconfirm most of the above.  I kept my work RP when I got married.

Currently, I'm counting the days weeks months years until I'm qualified to apply for a green card.  If I had a huge pile of cash, I could shave a couple years off that.

interesting EL - do you fancy your chances of getting the mysterious green card?

it's 5 years with no more than a certain level of non-residency right?

I would be interested in knowing more about that...
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
Allegedly, all I need is 5 years of harmonious marriage and I've got a good chance of acceptance (under current standards in my city - yours will very likely be different, and 3 years and 8 months from now, mine may be different).  Renewals are supposed to be mostly automatic.

Supposedly, under a green card, buying property is simpler, and I believe that it's possible to be legally employed.

I keep hoping some other Saloon person will get one before me so that all these rumors and suppositions can be given a real world test.  If not, I'll report on my success or failure shortly after April 1st, 2016.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
here's the links that I'm familiar with

http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/184128.htm

http://www.planetchina.org/how-to-get-chinese-green-card.html

http://shanghaiist.com/2010/06/30/interview_how_to_get_a_china_green.php

I get the feeling however that the application process is very open to local interpretation
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 04:44:24 AM »
We applied for the red card. we qualified in all respects, no worries, except for one little thing

Need a document showing ownership of property.

Now, we own one, but so far, still waiting for the document, 7 years later. While getting my forms stamped at the security bureau just recently, a guy walked in saying he hadn't got his property doc in 3 years and his was private, so this is faster than mine. Mine is govt, and they ain't budging. Been saying next year for 5 years now.

What you need seems to be , from memory, wife, chinese, one of. proof thereof. married for some time, think it's 5 years.
docs saying no criminal record home or china
continuously employed, for 5 years
resident, 5 years continuously. This is defined as at least 9 month here in every year, continuously. This was the first thing checked. One guy applied while we were there, had 4 months off in one year, the year before, although having been here for 8 years or some such. Wasn't going to bother.

I forget if there is anything else, except for med checks etc.

For some astronomical cost, you get 10 years before applying for another one, not permanently. After you get one, you can leave the country for 9 months a year and keep it, but there are conditions to staying. Running a business here may not be one of them, but running a business outside the country is not their concern. In fact, I was told running a business outside the district was not their concern, so maybe could base it in another city, but I am not sure about this last bit. ALso unsure of exact nature of employment responsiblity AFTER the card, since I planned to quit and live of my income from Oz ASAP. I understand can still work as a teacher etc. It seemed to me to be a full residency thing including the same as locals, job, business, etc.

This info we got off the officer who signs the things here, and he was this affable guy new to the job, but sticking precisely to the regs. Really liked talking to the foreigners and doing as little work as possible. Possibly seeing lots of hongbao in his future. No one had been doing this job in the city for some time, so it was all spanking new stuff.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.