Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
just to say that I've started watching Californication on the advice of TLD - man that's a hell of a show!

have gobbled a season and a half in less than a week.

I kinda wish those people were my friends.  :wtf:
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »
I've been watching Man Vs Wild dubbed in Chinese on video.baidu.com. I don't understand much, but it's still awesome.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
I hope this happens

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
Oh yes, please yes... agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »
Watched both seasons of Game of Thrones in a week. Might have to read the books cos I don't think I can wait for them to film the rest to find out what happens next

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »
Time for a compilation? Put almost all of the shows mentioned here, and attempted some sort of categorization. Maybe it will spur some memories out there :)

Drama
-Lie To Me
-Leverage
-Hustle
-House
-Bones
-Sherlock
-Downton Abbey
-Call the Midwife
-Spooks
-The Middle
-Day of the Triffids
-Castle
    Drama, cable
-The Borgias
-Boardwalk Empire
-In Treatment
-Mad Men
-The Hour (UK)
-House of Cards
   Drama - Lawyers
-The Defenders
-Harry's Law
-The Good Wife
    Violent or gritty Drama
-Game of Thrones
-Breaking Bad
-Deadwood
-Dexter
-The Walking Dead
-Luther
-Rome
-American Horror Story
-The Following
    Cops and Crime
-The Wire
-Sons of Anarchy
-Southland
-Criminal Minds
-Forbrydelsen (aka The Killing)
-The Killing (US)
-Wallander (UK)
-Life on Mars
-Awake
-The Shield
-Alcatraz
-The Blue Rose
-Justified
-Foyle's War
-The Americans
-Longmire

Sci-fi
-Firefly
-Battlestar Galactica
-Doctor Who
-Stargate Universe
-Continuum
-Revolution
-Orphan Black
-The Twilight Zone
-The Prisoner (1967)
    Fantasy
-The Secret Circle
-Vampire Diaries
-Once Upon a Time
-Heroes
-Fringe
-Grimm

Comedy
-Outsourced
-How I Met Your Mother
-The Big Bang
-30 Rock
-Glee
-Better off Ted
-The Office (US)
-3rd Rock from the Sun
-Shameless (US)
-Seven Periods with Mr. Gormsby
-WKRP in Cincinati
-Freaks and Geeks
-Mystery Science Theater 3000, Early seasons
    Comedy, cable
-True Blood
-Bored to Death
-Weeds
-The Big C
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-The Sarah Silverman Program
-Eastbound and Down
-Trailer Park Boys
-It's Always Sunny in
Philadelphia.
-Californication
   Comedy (UK)
-Shameless (UK)
-Black Adder
-Absolutely Fabulous
-Skins (UK)
-Coupling
-The Thick of It
-Joking Apart
-Traffic Light
-Doc Martin
-The IT Crowd
-Misfits
-Peep Show
-Big Train
-The Office (UK)
-Black Books
   Animated Comedy
-Drawn Together
-Harvey Birdman
-Aqua Teen Hunger Force
-Family Guy
-Futurama
-American Dad
-Venture Bros.
-Frisky Dingo
-Archer

Documentaries
-Wild China (BBC)
-China Rises
-Mekong: Soul Of A River
-China Triumph and Turmoil
    Infotainment
-Top Gear (If you're
 unfamiliar, I'd suggest
 watching the 1st Africa special.)
-Mythbusters
-Bang Goes the Theory
-How TV Ruined Your Life
-Locked Up Abroad
-The Dog Whisperer
    Kid stuff
-Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Desperate?
-Terra Nova
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Camelot
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:36:40 AM by Subtitle »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »

Watched both seasons of Game of Thrones in a week. Might have to read the books cos I don't think I can wait for them to film the rest to find out what happens next

The next book is probably the best and apparently will be split into 2 seasons.

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2012, 01:44:19 AM »

The next book is probably the best and apparently will be split into 2 seasons.

good, cos the last season felt a bit rushed in places...
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

old34

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
Time for a compilation? Put almost all of the shows mentioned here, and attempted some sort of categorization. Maybe it will spur some memories out there :)

Whoa! Good work Subtitle on the categorizations but even better work on the ASCII/tablisation (?) of your post which shows up nicely in my browser (Safari).  bfbfbfbfbf
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
Thanks Old34. A few additions to my list; The Following, The Americans, Orphan Black... Still wanting more input. What are you watching that's excellent? It's the early summer doldrums for TV. Please tell....

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
Subtitle, that is very cool of you to organize the contents of this thread so nicely. I appreciate it!  bfbfbfbfbf

I wanted to add a few of my favorite TV shows to the list:

WKRP in Cincinnati (1978-81)
US Comedy / Sit-com, 22 minute episode format.
One of my favorite shows of the 70's and 80's. Clean entertainment with minimal amount of negative messages mixed in. Characters and actors consistent throughout entire series. This torrent has 88 episodes digitized from VHS, so you get the original music, although quality is not stellar, but it's totally watchable and enjoyable. Missing two episodes from the original series: Season 3 Episode 6 "A Mile In My Shoes" and Season 3 Episode 8  "Baby It's Cold Inside". I've attached an episode guide. Nope, looks like my 252 KB .doc is too big.
Torrent available here from inside China (but this changes) 6.71 GB total

The Twilight Zone (1959–1964)
A true classic from television and excellent sci-fi writing. Looking back on these episodes, I can see the origins of many sci-films that came after. Excellent quality and small file size. 28.1 GB total with very fast speed for 156 episodes and an interview between Rod Serling and Mike Wallace.

The Prisoner (1967-68) original series with Patrick McGoohan
Fascinating series that lasted only two seasons and 17 episodes is difficult to categorize between spy, political, and sci-fi. Seemingly bizarre two season series makes sense when understood from the perspective of predictive programming and social control.

The plot is a British secret agent suddenly and unpredictably resigns his post and then finds himself prisoner on a strange little island with other characters from the intelligence millieu. The Village represents the future (from 1967 p.o.v.) surveillance society where "democracy" means committee-empowered control freaks are given say over everyone else's minor affairs, but the important decisions are left to the scientific dictatorship behind the scenes. Work credits are doled out to all citizens in good standing, small disobediences are punished with loss of status and presumed reduction in credits, thought criminals are re-educated with advanced mind control techniques, and those who rebel are met with the enigmatic force of a giant, white-translucent, all-powerful beach ball. The imagery is chocked full of Masonic and Fabian Society symbology for those who can spot it.

The later Prisoner mini-series from 2009 with Ian McKellan and Jim Caviezel is equally good, but even stranger, which reflects the overall changes in society from the relatively simpler outlook of the 60's to a more anything goes attitude 40-odd years later.

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
WKRP in Cincinnati (1978-81)One of my favorite shows of the 70's and 80's. Clean entertainment with minimal amount of negative messages mixed in. Characters and actors consistent throughout entire series.

Without a doubt, one of the greatest shows ever. As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »
Thanks for those. I might even re-watch The Prisoner. What an awesome show. And speaking of golden oldies, I must add the not-so-oldie Freaks and Geeks, the show that got James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel their start. Coming of age comedy, but actually defying the genre and being funny.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2013, 02:56:40 AM »
If you want to see media parallels between The Prisoner and a very curious film from 1968, watch "The Magus" starring Michael Caine and Anthony Quinn. Most critics hated it, which to me is a sign of its quality as it was way too complex for them.

You will see a big similarity between the "The Magus" and The Prisoner episode 16, although it may be uninteresting to those who aren't into the relationship of the ancient mystery religion and social institutions of today. Yah, so that's about 99.99% of people :) Anyway, it's still curious to see identical plot lines show up in a TV program and a feature film.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »
Without a doubt, one of the greatest shows ever. As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
The writing and acting in that show was so perfect for TV comedy.