Ending the tyranny of shaving cream

• 12 replies
Ending the tyranny of shaving cream
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
I find I have to pay Western prices for shaving cream, and I'm always running out. Then, one fine day whilst traveling in Chengdu, I forgot to bring it. Desperate, I used hair conditioner from a packet that was lying by the sink. To my surprise it work wonderfully.

After experimenting with this technique on and off, while always going back to using real shaving cream, I finally just up and bought a big-ass bottle of hair conditioner and decided I'm not buying any more overpriced shaving cream. The hair conditioner works great, and it's take me a couple years worth of shaving to use it up.

Haven't come up with a solution for printer's ink though.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Re: Ending the tyranny of shaving cream
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
Yep, shaving cream is a big rip-off, and more so when it comes in an aerosol can.
At home (in real life) I used Edge gel, but here, most of the time I just rub a wet bar of soap across my face after I shower, rub it around my neck and cheek with my fingers and then shave away. Works fine. Never a nicked face.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
I need to shave three times a day, I have the classic Fred Flintstone face. I have been using soap for years. Not dish but hand soap
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
Same here. Mind you, I've had to have my nose and right ear sown back on a couple of times, but that's another story.

[size=06pt]<ducking  :wtf:  and waiting to see if anyone's that gullible>[/size]

xwarrior

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:43 AM »
Yep - hair conditioner does the trick ... or soap.

Read once that the vital ingredient needed for shaving is WATER - and any kind of soap is the best way of holding water on the skin.

For a couple of years in China I used the different kinds of face stuff Chinese guys can rub on the face for a perfect complexion. If it is on special (10-20RMB) it can provide an interesting shaving experience.

The best one I tried was "Snake Gall" gel. It gave a definite tingle which helped wake me up in the morning. It paid to wash hands before touching any other part of my body during showering.  afafafafaf

The worst one was "Ocean Mud". It was one of those rare times in China when truth in advertising actually operated. When I took the cap off a grey/black sludge oozed out. It had some abrasive substance in the muck that took off 3 layers of skin with each motion of the hand. I only used it once. Bad buy!
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Monkey King

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
Another soap shaver here, started after coming to Asia when the stuff was always difficult to find and really expensive.

Shaving foam is pretty much a rip off.   Funny thing is, a lot of folks back home wont believe that you can shave with just soap - that it'll mess up your skin etc.  Advertising does a good job on people.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
End the whole tyranny of shaving forever.  Grow a beard. bgbgbgbgbg
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
Indeed. I will shave no more forever. ayayayayay
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Taking care of a beard can be more work than shaving unless you just want to look like a lunatic.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
Taking care of a beard can be more work than shaving unless you just want to look like a lunatic.

I don't see that as an issue.  axaxaxaxax
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

zero

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »
The main thing I don't like about shaving with soap is its drying effect, which can be a real nuisance during cold weather.

Anyway, whatever you choose, you should be fine as long as you don't masturbate with shampoo.

BrandeX

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »
I don't use shaving cream normally, however it is sold here in Watsons, Mannings, etc.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 02:21:54 AM »

Oh, great. Now you tell me.