Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2280 on: December 24, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
Wow!  Very happy for you (and more than a bit jealous too).
 agagagagag
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2281 on: January 25, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
GREEN BOOK based on true events was the movie I saw today. I really enjoyed it and suggest that anyone interested look it up on the internet. It was the winner of the Audience award at Toronto International Film Festival. bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #2282 on: January 26, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »
Widows (2018)

Ordinary American movie version of the superior 1983 British tv series of the same name. Movie version is kind of incoherent and feels displaced in time. The original tv version makes more sense in story terms and is a better production.

bfbfbfbfbf awawawawaw
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2283 on: February 25, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
'Alita: Battle Angel'  I didn't think I'd like this movie but it really surprised me. Rather than me babble on about it, I suggest that anyone interested in movies, take the time to look it up. I think Calach would find this one interesting. bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2284 on: February 25, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
Ooooohhh.... I saw an short video for it somewhere and wasn't sure if it was a movie trailer or a video game advertisement.  Guess I'll have to see if it's playing here or if I have to wait for it to be available on DVD.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2285 on: February 25, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
'Alita: Battle Angel'  I didn't think I'd like this movie but it really surprised me. Rather than me babble on about it, I suggest that anyone interested in movies, take the time to look it up. I think Calach would find this one interesting. bfbfbfbfbf

Having been a big fan of the original Yukito Kishiro manga... Yeah, the movie has a lot to live up to. Iconic imagery is possible in the movie - I think for instance Blade Runner 2049 did a good job of making a cyberpunk world - but I'm honestly not liking the images I'm seeing for Alita: Battle Angel. That Gally just ain't right.

But I'll watch anyway and try to see it as a movie in its own right.

« Reply #2286 on: February 25, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
ah man.

Battle Angel Alita, aka Gally, was a cyborg found in the junkyard without a body, likely tossed from Tiphares, the city in the sky. The cyborg engineer who found her gave her a small body and raised her as a child. At this time the great age of technological development had passed and robotics was more a salvage job than anything developmental. In fact, salvaged robots and robot bodies were in demand mostly for sports, and in particular for motorball, a violent combination of roller and demolition derbies. In that sport, size and power matter most. Alita, through a combination of events, is discovered to possess knowledge of a long lost art of robot combat called panzer kunst, meaning that although small, she is considerably superior as a fighter than almost all other motorball competitors.

And I wrote all that because I just saw a movie still in which the Damascus Blade is a goddamn freakin sword.. IT IS NOT A SWORD, PEOPLE.

I will still watch the movie anyway

« Reply #2287 on: February 26, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
I'll be interested in your opinions Calach and EL, particularly since I found myself actually watching this type of movie. bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #2288 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
I went to the movies yesterday to see "Vox Lux". It's a drama starring Natalie Portman and Jude Law. I was the only person in the theatre and the sound was FAAAAAR TOOOOOO LOUD! I tolerated it for a while then I went down to report it. The guy behind the counter said that they couldn't turn it down. I spent most of the movie with my fingers in my ears. llllllllll When I came out, I was asked by a senior staff member what I thought of the movie. I told her the story and she told me that they CAN turn down the sound. She probably would have given me a free pass to the movies except the staff know that I have a six months free pass. To cut the story short, I am still not much wiser about the movie. bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2289 on: March 04, 2019, 11:27:32 PM »
I'll be interested in your opinions Calach and EL, particularly since I found myself actually watching this type of movie. bjbjbjbjbj

I'm hoping to visit the video pirates sometime in the next few weeks.  Have a few things on my shopping list and will see if they have that one yet.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2290 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:41 AM »
Doubtful. The movie's only just started appearing in cinemas. Copies in the wild so far are only the crappiest of crappy cam jobs.

I will say this: the start of the movie, as revealed by a disgusted glance over one of those crappy cams jobbies, seems a fraction too reminiscent of the 1993 OVA, which to me is a bad sign. I don't recall the OVA as being bad per se, but the homage it is paid in the movie doesn't sit right...

Gunnm was cool. That's the thing. Neuromancer, Gunnm, and probably nothing else was the real cyberpunk. I mean maybe Snowcrash or something like that. But Gunnm was about identity. And philosophy. And flan. So....

pffft. I'll try to find a way to like it. One doesn't hold onto the past that strongly, eh.

« Reply #2291 on: March 11, 2019, 01:38:29 AM »

« Reply #2292 on: March 13, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »
Mortal Engines (2018)

#steampunk #vanlife

At least one of the problems with Mortal Engines is it looks like a Broadway musical. The other is it's steampunk at all. The third is how absent any human spark all the characters seem to be. I'm hoping the books aren't this dull because they've been sitting in my to-read pile for some time now.

bfbfbfbfbf bqbqbqbqbq

« Reply #2293 on: May 03, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »
Dragged Across Concrete (2019)

From S. Craig Zahler, the same guy as made Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Imma call it Reservoir Dogs In Various Locations But With Cops This Time.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Street Corner Felines - The O'Jays

« Reply #2294 on: May 05, 2019, 12:41:24 AM »