“Not many cars go to Berlin from here.”

• 9 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
“Not many cars go to Berlin from here.”
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
Two Beijing guys spent 3 and a half months hitch-hiking over 160,000 km across 13 countries to see one of the guy’s girl friend in Berlin, Germany. Altogether they took 88 hitch rides, including tricycle, tractor and carriage. Their journey was dubbed “the most romantic hitch-hike in history” by netizens.

Liu Chang and Gu Yue are both born in 70s, they were first seen standing in the mist of Hou Hai thumbing for rides on June 8th last year. Carrying super heavy packs, they convinced the visa officers of 12 countries by the purpose of “backpacking travel”. Getting all visas done, they hit the road with cashes, credit cards, sleeping bags, laptop, camera and a few clothes.

The most difficult ride is actually in China from Beijing to Hebei, according to Liu Chang who recalled that they waited in vain for over an hour in Hou Hai, nobody would stop to take them. Finally they got help from one driver who took them to the entrance of the highway leading to Hebei, where they continued to wait despite the rain storm. They were asked to leave by some road maintenance workers, one of whom thoughtfully said: “not many cars go to Berlin from here.”

Hitch-hiking is far more difficult than they imagine. From Beijing to Berlin, these two swarthy, ragged Chinese guys with half long hair were turned down by 1000-some drivers. It happened a lot of times when they had to wait hours before getting a hitch, the longest one they waited for 2 days at road side.

“Countries like Uzbekistan, Kirghizstan don’t have the custom of hitch-hiking, and we don’t speak their language.” Said Gu Yue, who settled this by having someone written a few cards in Russian, saying “we need to hitch ride to Germany from China” “Could you give us a ride?” “Excuse us, we don’t have money for you but we’ve got cigarette and smiles” …

The more they hitch, the more they love it, according to Liu Chang, and meeting so many different people is the biggest reward: a Mr. Qiao, who is delivering goods from Hebei to Shanxi, decided to keep driving for 20 years in order to build houses for his two sons; a petrol truck driver in Xinjiang liked to take every hitch-hiker to kill the loneliness of the long journey; a financial officer who got fired in the financial crisis took them to Czech the day after he landed a new job; a easy-going CEO who drove a limo; a drunk driver in Georgia who played “Speed” live…

The funniest experience happened in northern Iraq, where they got on a tractor and rode for 2 or 3 km before the driver switched into a smoky village. They realized that the tractor was rushing all the way to help put out the fire, and they were brought there along. When the fire was under control the two become the scene, and treated with dinner at an Iraqi home.

Three and a half month later, they finally reached Berlin, where lived Gu Yue’s girl friend Ika (dubbed).

“I traveled in the direction of sunset for the last 3 months, because I know Berlin is where the sun sets, and that is where my Ika lives.” Said Gu Yue.

Ika, on the other hand said: “next time you want to see me, take the plane.”

Their journey was tagged “Most romantic hitch-hiking in history” “Best Valentine gift” by netizens. At the moment, Gu Yuan and Ika are on vacation in Thailand, celebrating their Spring Festival.

For more, watch the “Xing Zhe” program aired 22:30 in Travel Channel.

via ChinaHush
http://tr.im/PhOg

George

• My view of China
Re: “Not many cars go to Berlin from here.”
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »
Great title! Well did, Stil.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Borkya

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:04:04 AM »
I bet the rights have been sold and by next valentines day we will be able to buy the book and watch the movie!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:53 AM »
160,000 km? Isn't that 4 times the circumference of our little marble? How far is Beijing to Berlin? According to http://www.travelmath.com/flight-distance/from/Berlin,+Germany/to/Beijing,+China, its only 7,375 km. Now that's by straight line and I know first hand when hitchhiking, you go where people will take you. But 25 times longer then necessary? Sounds like the 2hour34minute marathon run thread only in reverse
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »
Sounds like such and adventure. I'll be hitching from Leeds (northern England) all he way to Agadir (Morocco) for charity in about a month's time.

If you would like to donate money to a Charity called Link Community Development or just want to find out more go to my JustGiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/jamesishitchingtomorroco

Cheers.  agagagagag

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:03:15 AM »
You'll still be in leeds a month later. Yorkshire men dont give lifts.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »
160,000 km? Isn't that 4 times the circumference of our little marble? How far is Beijing to Berlin? According to http://www.travelmath.com/flight-distance/from/Berlin,+Germany/to/Beijing,+China, its only 7,375 km. Now that's by straight line and I know first hand when hitchhiking, you go where people will take you. But 25 times longer then necessary? Sounds like the 2hour34minute marathon run thread only in reverse

The actual article says 16,000, which is probably a bit closer to reality.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:09 AM »
The actual article says 16,000, which is probably a bit closer to reality.

Ah, I see, Stil is an English Teacher, not Math    ahahahahah
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Ah, I see, Stil is an English Teacher, not Math

Well, actually, the scientific term for him is "maniac". oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:47 AM »
Yea, I'd guess you'd have to be a maniac to circumnavigate the globe 4 times in 100 days! And hitching a ride to boot

Green Day:
Hey mister, where you headed?
Are you in a hurry?
I need a lift to happy hour
Say oh no
Do you break for distilled spirits?
I need a break as well
The well that inebriated the guilt
one, two... one, two, three, four
Cold turkey's getting stale
Tonight I'm eating a crow
Fermented salmonella poison oak