Playoffs Part II - Hockey, Baby, Hockey!

• 91 replies
Playoffs Part II - Hockey, Baby, Hockey!
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
The Second Season begins. Everybody's calling for a Chicago Black Hawks - Pittsburgh Penguins final. It won't surprise me and I wouldn't mind. Two complete gifted teams at all phases of the game. Chicago's only Achele's Heel would be their goaltending. I'd love to see St Louis against my beloved Leafs Washington

West
Chicago - Minnesota: I know all the regular season games were close, but that was then. The Black Hawks in 4. (Sorry Zach Parise, you guys should have done better in the regular season

Anaheim - Detroit: The Red Wings in 7 only because, because, because I like them more than the FDucks

Vancouver - San Jose: Tough call. SJ was 3-0 but I'm going with the Canucks in 7

St. Louis - Los Angeles: See above. I think either team is a legit Cup contender. This should be one of the best matchup ever. After 7 games, they may not score an aggregate of 20 goals. This'll be great 

East
Pittsburgh - New York Islanders: Penguins 4 straight. If NY scores more than 6 goals in the series, there should be a siliva test on both teams

Montreal - Ottawa: The Habs aren't that good! But the Sens are battered (and fried), far too many injuries. They were lucky to eek into the playoffs. If Karlssen plays then Montreal in 7  (edit)

Washington - New York Rangers: The Capitols will bury the Blue Shirts in 5, maybe 4

Boston - Twrana: The Bruins are the much better team but they have been less than ordinary the past two weeks. So have the Leafs. Heart says the Boys in Blue, the wallet says Boston. ARRGH! Toronto, game 7, overtime, Khadri scores!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:38:54 AM by Day Dreamer »
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
Re: Playoffs Part II - Hockey, Baby, Hockey!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
Never saw you as a "Leaf Blower." Go figure. The Make Beliefs over the Bruins in 7.  kkkkkkkkkk
Cheers...Caley from Halifax, the land of the "Next Great One."  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:36:25 PM by The Local Dialect »
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:14:32 AM »
Year in and year out there are upsets. I'm not going to list them but if you follow any sport or team, you've seen your share. If we do it your way, we'd award the Stanley Cup in February  bibibibibi Its a good thing neither New Jersey nor Los Angeles fans took your advice last year

Now had you read what I wrote, you might see that I said which team should win (hint: Boston).  

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:07:32 AM »
yeah, looks like the pens and chi-hawks have their tickets bought, bags packed, and are just applying the sun-block while they wait for the taxis to take them to the finals. But stuff can and does happen, eh?

Look out for darkhorse teams that could get hot and go all the way. Both NJ and LA did that last year. This year, Washington started like an old engine on a cold winter morning. Not at all. Last dozen games or so, Ovie got white hot and lifted the team. The rest of that team is rounding into form, they could be the ones to surprise everyone. Ottawa, while they performed like heros with so many key players injured, simply don't have enough gas in the tank to goose it now. Otherwise, I don't see anyone in the east stopping Pitt. The rest just don't have the jam.

I don't know the west as well, but after Chicago it looks like a big dog fight. Which means that anyone could get to the western conference finals. I like Vancouver, although they've always been just a bit brittle, and look even more so now. Come to think of it, I also like SJ, and the winner of that pairing SJ-Van could well go to the western conference final. And either of those two could just knock Chicago out, both have all the pieces. But in the west, several teams have the jam but not all the pieces. Does Vancouver have the jam?

Oh yeah, Toronto and Boston. I hate to say it, but Bruins in 6. No doubt, the Leafs have matured considerably since last year's wreck; but they're still pretenders, not contenders. They still need a first line centreman, and they need Leo Komorov to develop into the second coming of Darcy Tucker. Maybe then. 

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:03:38 AM »
What's sad about the Vancouver - San Jose and St. Louis - Los Angeles series is that two real contenders will be eliminated in the first round. Yet if a Minny or NY Islanders pull an upset, they go on.

When the playoffs started last year, LA was my darkhorse and as long as Brodeur can still breath, you have a chance. The LA-NJ series was good hockey. (is there bad hockey?)

At the beginning of the season, I figured the Boys in Blue to finish between 8-10 place around 45-50 point. More the latter, I didn't think they had the goaltending or the depth. I still think these will be their downfall against the Bruins.

The only team who can beat Pitt is Washington. Remember last year when we crowned the Penguins at the beginning of the playoffs? Philly had something to say about that.

To answer about Vancouver - they are the Buffalo Bills of hockey. How's that for a metaphor

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:40:32 AM »
Vancouver - San Jose: Tough call. SJ was 3-0 but I'm going with the Canucks in 7

I nailed that one   bibibibibi  Thanks for showing up Fuck-ups Canucks

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:52 AM »
Hey, where are all the fuckheads puckheads? Only one serious comment from latefordinner.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:39:13 PM by The Local Dialect »

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »
This puckhead is getting up at 6:30 am to put on the kettle for a Boston fan coming over to lend assistance in tipping the bottomless cup of smug-for-no-reason-anyone-can-fathom aka the Leafs blower I married.

I'm chewing on my nails re: what I saw on the ice this morning in the nation's crapitol.  Damn but my Habs took it lying down in the third.  They were so bang on and focused in the first two - 
eeeeeeeeee 
...and now Price. Groin injury? He's so on again off again these days anyway.

I say fuck puck it.  Budaj can stand up and fill that barn door.  He was a pretty good brick wall in that last regular season game in Toronto where the Habs are always a bit too much in their heads because - well - because they're in Toronto. 

I digress. Friday is Friday. Tomorrow is Thursday/Wednesday night in Hogtown, and I say, "Gooooooooooooo, Bruins!"

"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
The Ottawa games have been really good to watch.   bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag agagagagag

I am a Sens fan so   akakakakak
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Ahh the playoffs. I have a little history for ya'll. I grew up in Atlantic Canada as a tot with my twin. He was a Canadian fan, and I was a Maple Leaf fan. For far too many years, I watched in angst with a sick tummy as the Leafs went down to defeat and almost invariably at the hands of those fecking Habs. Later, as a young lad of 17 and playing at a hockey tourney in Montreal, I had the pleasure of witnessing a game at the venerable Forum at which Jean Belliveau scored his 500th career goal. We also had a tour of the Canadian dressing room following the game. It was an epiphany! At that very moment the Leaf Blower yoke was lifted from my shoulders! Today, it is like Baseball: If you know Baseball, you're a Yankee fan; if you know Hockey, you are indeed a fan of Les Habs of Montreal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:37:03 PM by The Local Dialect »
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
Vancouver in 7???? Lad must have been swilling that cheap Snow beer to a point of addled brains.

Look up all the other teams in sports across the country or the world. Should Brits stop supporting their soccer team and swith to Spain? After all, they haven't won since '66.  Or Cleveland Indians fans in baseball, Or Bills' fans in football, and on and on. Congratulations, you now are what true fans call a "Front Runner"

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:37:56 PM by The Local Dialect »

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »
WOW! You have big balls pointing out my wrong predictions after the fact. Boy, I wish I had your hindsight
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:44:29 PM by The Local Dialect »

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Bruins & Leafs put on a terrific show this morning! What a game! Just between you all, me and the interweb - I feel bad for the mister.  On t'other hand, he's looking down the wrong side of a 3-1 series just like me - good for play off season marital relations  bhbhbhbhbh ...

It was great having another fan in the house - a gentle sort of B fan who was as consoling to the mister as he was happy to see his boys win.  Hockey night in Kanuckistan on a Thursday morning in CQ = bfbfbfbfbf

For the record - a Leafs fan is as real a hockey fan as it gets.  The Leafs Nation is a mighty stalwart clan.  I gotta respect that.

My Dad loves The Game, but he's one of those old guys who spreads his love around.  He's pretty much a Sens fan through the regular season, because he retired there and my sister takes him to the odd game, but I've always heard him speak well of any team or player who's working hard enough.

My brother was a Bruins fan when we were kids ... Oh, the 70's ...

I guess I was a floater until I got caught up in the love Cape Bretoners I was hangin' out with in the early 90's had for the Habs.  

Habs Dynasty days are the stuff of legend, but then so are the Leafs' ...

I've always felt the deepest puck love is the love of any Original Six team - and if you're a Kanuck, the Habs or the Leafs in particular.

One day we'll all be together on the big ice in the sky...   jjjjjjjjjj

One love, eh?

oooooooooo
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
A note to all

This thread is back now, after a deep clean.

Let's keep this on the topic of hockey. Bad-mouth each others' teams? Fine. Attack each other as people? Not so fine.

Also remember, this is the BS Pit. A certain amount of trash talk is allowed/expected! However, while you don't need to behave like it is teatime at Buckingham Palace, the basic rules of civility do apply!

Thank you puckheads!  bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:08 AM »
Nobody does playoffs like hockey