What's Making Me Happy!

• 106 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
What's Making Me Happy!
« on: April 13, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
(Note to Barflies - this is the downstairs edition and is open to everyone).

Operation Secret Mango Tree is back in business.

There's an empty planter where the village has it's 500+ year old mango trees behind the pond.  For several years now, I've tried to get a tree grown from one of the seeds of one of the ancient trees to grow there.

The results:

3 trees disappeared. llllllllll

A pair (decided to double my odds of a survivor) ripped out. asasasasas  I replanted them, but they died. ananananan

A new pair (thanks to a fellow village who jumped over the wall and climbed down into the mostly drained pond (major pond maintenance and redecoration is ongoing) to get a couple of seedings from beneath one of the overhanging trees.  Those were planted and were doing ok.

Then someone came through spraying herbicide.   aoaoaoaoao

One died,  The other lost all leaves, but its stalk remained green. agagagagag

Then they dug a trench right through the planter.  Missed the tree, but the dirt had it 2/3 buried.  I dug out the excess dirt.  Two days later, the deepened the trench  and I had to dig it out again. Thankfully, whoever refilled the trench got the hint that someone was protecting that tree.

A few days ago, it started to bud.  It looks like it will be getting new leaves in a few days. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:34:56 PM by Escaped Lunatic »
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

Re: What's Making Me Happy!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:01:08 PM »
 agagagagag Mango agagagagag

My younger grandson  akakakakak now weighs 7 pounds 12 ounces. He's 21 days old.  He had to be delivered a month early  :wtf: The handsome little fellow arrived weighing 6 pounds 8 ounces

His 'big' brother  akakakakak  decided to trim his own hair ahahahahah Pretty neat job for a 5-year old bfbfbfbfbf
Moderation....in most things...

A-Train

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
No one has died (yet) from the in-person Wisconsin voting.  AND the liberal supreme court judge candidate beat the incumbent, ultra-conservative.  The GOP "Vote-and-you-die" campaign failed!!!
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:36:17 AM »
from Monday, May 4th, we're allowed to go out for long walks and maybe even for a swim.

After 77 days of house-supermarket-house, this is a welcome change
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
 agagagagag  Glad you finally got unleashed!

Taking walks and exercising outdoors was permitted here during the restrictions.  Even so, a lot of people stayed in, so both inside and outside the village had very few others out walking while we were still restricted.  Now the numbers of people walking around is about 95% of normal.
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 06:17:13 AM »
Very restricted easements starting 2 May  bfbfbfbfbf ... but TPTB are ready to slam us back into the box if some fools start to act the fool bibibibibi

Meanwhile we look forward to enjoying Phase I (out of 4 stages) of our "freedom" into  TheNewNormal situation agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:17:52 PM »
 agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
After getting caught in an endless loop one time, I tried via a link someone else sent me and now have my very own official "Mostly Harmless" green barcode to let me travel around inside of China.

Hopefully the dates for my charity to visit FengHuang get set soon.
EscapedLunatic.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 08:16:47 AM »
After getting caught in an endless loop one time, I tried via a link someone else sent me and now have my very own official "Mostly Harmless" green barcode to let me travel around inside of China.

careful with all that though.. there's many reports our of Beijing of said QR apps failing when you go outside your regular zone as a foreigner. Not to be over paranoid  aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao bjbjbjbjbj
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »

careful with all that though.. there's many reports our of Beijing of said QR apps failing when you go outside your regular zone as a foreigner. Not to be over paranoid  aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao bjbjbjbjbj

I've saved a copy of it as an image file.

Guess I'll bring some quarantine snacks along, just in case something goes wrong.  ahahahahah

The bigger worry than a barcode malfunction is that there could be a wild case at my destination while I'm there or else in DG while I'm away.  Either could result in road closures and trains not stopping.  I'd like to be in FengHuang for a week or so, not for month or two.

Once the dates are set, I'm already planning to have my wife call ahead to make 100% sure the hotel didn't suddenly develop a no-foreigners policy.  If it's the same place as last time, they already know I've got a green card.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »
Just got my USA stimulus check a couple days ago. agagagagag

Have to see how to get it deposited here.  The last time I had to deposit a check in China, it got a little complicated at the bank.  Hopefully this one will be easier.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
Only a month late (and 3 or 4 C hotter ananananan), my expedition inland has been scheduled. agagagagag

Departure is Saturday morning.

I'm leeeeavin' on a Jet Train!  Don't know when I'll be back again.

Actually, that's true.  All I have is a departure date and time.  Return hasn't been set.

Not sure how many people from my charity will in along on this one.  My wife's staying at home, so I'm going to be relying in my modestly upgraded Chinese speaking abilities plus my translation app.

Happily, after 3 previous trips, I mostly know my way around FengHuang, so at least I'm unlikely to get too badly lost. ahahahahah

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 09:04:20 PM »
EL, looking forward to hearing about your expedition. bfbfbfbfbf I'm into the 14th week of no Movie Theatres and no "Den of Iniquity". bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
So busy!  Got to see 5 of my students and visited a ton of schools.  Not getting enough sleep, but am having fun.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:43 PM »
Sounds interesting EL! Can you tell us a bit more about the fun you are having? afafafafaf