Palin for President

• 81 replies

Shroomy

Re: Palin for President
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure Michael Palin is from one of those phonetically challenged countries that mispronounce aluminum.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »
As Michael Palin - being so much more erudite than the other Palin - would so eloquently say
The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 ... By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum. ....Americans adopted -ium to fit the standard form of the periodic table of elements, for most of the nineteenth century, with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In 1892, however, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[23] he filed between 1886 and 1903.... It has been suggested that the spelling on the flier was a mistake....The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, with aluminum seen as a minor US/Canadian variant

If the British invented it - then the word should be used their way!

It's easy to keep on topic!!  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:30:56 AM by Lotus Eater »

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2008, 01:24:05 AM »
I've lived on the east coast, west coast, mid west, and the gulf coast, and have traveled to ten countries and met many Americans of various genders and races and economic backgrounds, with various levels of education, and a great number abroad as well, and in my 40 years never have I heard "nuk-u-lar" ever come out of their mouths. The only times I've heard it came at the following points in my miserable life:

1.) When I was first learning the word as a child. It came Out of my own mouth as I was trying to wrap my tiny head around the new vocabulary. The same can be said regarding some classmates at the time. Our Minnesota born and bred teacher, who did speak a little funny, set us right on "NUCLEAR," rather than "Nuk-u-lar."

2.) Out of the cartoon mouth of Homer J. Simpson.

3.) Out of the fleshy cartoon mouth of G. W. Bush.

4.) Out of the big fat mouth of Sarah the Baracuda.

I'm sure there is something like a 15% misuse of the word amongst my fellow Americans. If anyone cares to finance the research, I bet I could prove this beyond the shadow of a doubt.  afafafafaf

However, someone is making me wonder just how many Americans they claimed to have met when they claim the majority of them say, "nuk-u-lar.' kkkkkkkkkk

I've yet to meet an American in China who said, "Nuk-u-lar" as opposed to "nuclear." Perhaps they can enlighten me where this tribe of "nuk-u-lar" primates lurk so I can call up Werner Herzog Fimlproduktion and get a documentary going. afafafafaf

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2008, 02:54:43 AM »
so what I'm reading is...
if I had a queen I'd be ably to unmisspell those words And also pronounce then correctly along with the rest of my countries people?

all these years I thought it was because I'm lazy...

bibibibibi
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2008, 05:41:43 AM »
I'm sure there is something like a 15% misuse of the word amongst my fellow Americans. If anyone cares to finance the research, I bet I could prove this beyond the shadow of a doubt.  afafafafaf

However, someone is making me wonder just how many Americans they claimed to have met when they claim the majority of them say, "nuk-u-lar.' kkkkkkkkkk

I've yet to meet an American in China who said, "Nuk-u-lar" as opposed to "nuclear." Perhaps they can enlighten me where this tribe of "nuk-u-lar" primates lurk so I can call up Werner Herzog Fimlproduktion and get a documentary going. afafafafaf

You should really come spend some time out in the boonies of Florida, Arizona, and Tennessee.  Even a lot of the college students I've met (thank God, not any of the science majors) say it that way.

I also had to spend some serious time with my middle school science classes explaining that just because El Presidente has the football, that doesn't make his mis-pronunciation correct.   llllllllll

It could be worse.  The locals in Plant City (not far from Tampa) pronounce the name of the town as Play-ant Ceety.

Call the film production company and I'll take them on a tour.  Just tell them to be ready to run away if they start hearing dueling banjoes or any references to squealing like pigs. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2008, 05:51:48 AM »
As Michael Palin - being so much more erudite than the other Palin - would so eloquently say
The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 ... By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum. ....Americans adopted -ium to fit the standard form of the periodic table of elements, for most of the nineteenth century, with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In 1892, however, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[23] he filed between 1886 and 1903.... It has been suggested that the spelling on the flier was a mistake....The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, with aluminum seen as a minor US/Canadian variant

If the British invented it - then the word should be used their way!

It's easy to keep on topic!!  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

OK, when faced with such overwhelming and indisputable evidence, I'll have to concede the point bring in my own scientific expert to absolutely prove my point.

Adam Savage, of Mythbusters said it best:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax

Actually, I think politicians of both parties use this method all the time.  ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »

Adam Savage, of Mythbusters said it best:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax

Actually, I think politicians of both parties use this method all the time.  ahahahahah

Only too true!!