What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #2805 on: April 17, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
Sad that some are getting redeployed so soon, but dealing with any new hotspots as quickly as possible will prevent a lot of problems later on.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2806 on: August 03, 2020, 07:22:23 PM »
‘China rocks!’ — the U.S., not so much, according to Elon Musk

China has been taking a lot of heat on the global stage these days, particularly in the U.S., where unfavorability toward the country is at its highest level since Gallup and the Pew Research Center began recording such data way back in the 1970s.

But the Middle Kingdom can count at least one high-profile fan from the other side of the planet.

That’s Tesla TSLA, -3.81% boss Elon Musk heaping praise on China — and throwing shade at the country he calls home — in a recent interview with Automotive News.

“I see in the United States increasingly much more complacency and entitlement especially in places like the Bay Area, and L.A. and New York,” Musk said, pointing to two states that have helped boost Tesla’s business through tax breaks and other incentives. In fact, the Los Angeles Times put the total amount of government help for Tesla at more than $4.9 billion...

So far ahead of the curve he's coming up ten years behind again
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2807 on: November 08, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »

AMonk

« Reply #2808 on: November 09, 2020, 02:40:47 AM »
 agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag akakakakak bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2809 on: November 09, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
 agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #2810 on: November 10, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
apologies for this but…

PFIZER VACCINE LOOKS TO BE 90% EFFECTIVE!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine.html

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2811 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
Woohoo!  Let's hope everything else about it checks out and that a few more of the vaccines in trials turn out just as good or better.

agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2812 on: November 10, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
Pfizer readies 'Herculean effort' to distribute coronavirus vaccine

[The quote I was looking for:]

During the shipment and storage, the vaccines must be kept at 94 degrees below zero Fahrenheit in order to maintain optimal efficacy.

That cold chain during distribution is going to be problematic in some parts of the world, maybe even all.

Nonetheless: WOOOO!

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2813 on: November 11, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
There are some with more rational storage temperatures in Phase 3 trials.  A perfect case would be a room temperature stable vaccine (that was a BIG help in eradicating smallpox).
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2814 on: November 11, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
My understanding of the mRNA vaccine candidates (of which Pfizer's is one) is they are known to be stable at super low temperatures and thus that is how they are currently being managed, but that tests for stability at less low temperatures will eventually be run and it's likely that the final safe storage requirements will be less demanding, possibly even ending up at simple refrigeration levels (although that can't be counted on).

Also, since the Pfizer mRNA candidate does the same thing as the other mRNA candidates (something something spike protein mumble mumble), then Pfizer's apparent success is a likely indicator of success in the other mRNA candidates too.

Also also, I think I understood this. We're supposed to make a difference between SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, the former being the virus, the latter being the cluster of disease effects produced by the virus. The vaccines - all of them, as far as I know - are being built to prevent serious COVID-19 arising after infection by SARS-CoV-2. That's to say, the vaccines do not stop infection, but they do stop the disease. If I understand correctly, supposing the vaccine works for you, you can still get a "bad cold", but you don't or hopefully won't get the covid.

And assuming the vaccine is coming along as quickly as Pfizer's results suggest, then probably by middle of next year we'll all be getting or have had the two jabs.

/is what I understand from bits of news I've read today.  bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2815 on: November 12, 2020, 04:26:22 PM »
And Russia is back in the "ours is better" game, claiming their Sputnik vaccine is 92% effective.  Can anyone beat that?  Do I hear a bid for 93%?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2816 on: December 13, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
China-Australia relations: Beijing steel group demands answers from BHP over soaring iron ore prices

The China Iron & Steel Association (CISA) says it had a ‘candid exchange of views’ with BHP on soaring iron ore prices on Thursday

A spike in costs threatens the profitability of Chinese steel plants, which are on track to set a record for crude steel production this year

China’s steel industry body has demanded an explanation from Anglo-Australian miner BHP about the surging cost of iron ore, in a fresh sign of Beijing’s growing frustration about runaway prices for the steelmaking ingredient.

The China Iron & Steel Association (CISA) held a video conference on Thursday with BHP executives in which there was a “candid exchange of views” on the miner’s production, sales and pricing, according to a statement from the industry group.

Luo Tiejun, a CISA vice-president and a former official at the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, questioned the company about the single day price rise of US$7.5 per tonne on the Platts 62 per cent iron ore index last Friday.

The company agreed to enhance communication with the association to ensure “an open and transparent iron ore market”, according to the briefing, which was attended by BHP’s vice-president of marketing and sales, Rod Dukino, and head of sales for iron ore Rohan Roberts....

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2817 on: December 14, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
Let's hope that open and transparent promise comes through.  Perhaps there's some part of the price increase that China could provide assistance for, which would greatly benefit both sides.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2818 on: December 14, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »
Foreign investment clampdown prompts claims of Chinese buyers being 'frozen out'

Efforts by Chinese companies to buy Australian assets are being left to languish or rejected under temporary restrictions to foreign investment that experts claim are further aggravating relations between Canberra and Beijing.

In March, the Morrison Government lowered to zero the dollar value of every foreign investment bid for an Australian asset that must be screened by the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).

The decision was taken in response to concerns about the fire-sale of Australian businesses stricken by the coronavirus pandemic, but industry sources say the measure is being used to target Chinese buyers.

Foreign Investment Advisory Australia director Lachlan Molesworth, a former advisor to Scott Morrison while he was Treasurer, said the Government was within its rights to tailor foreign investment rules to the national interest.

Mr Molesworth also said the Government had largely reduced bottlenecks in the approvals process since processing times blew out when the zero-dollar thresholds were announced.

However, he suggested that while proposals from many buyers were being handled in a reasonable time, Chinese bids had been all but frozen out since the changes were introduced....

« Reply #2819 on: December 15, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
China’s trade sanctions likely to leave Australia better off due to skyrocketing iron ore prices

China’s trade actions on Australian wine, beef and other goods may have delivered a substantial hit to our economy but this is likely to be offset by the booming iron ore price, new analysis suggests.

While specific industries targeted by China will be hurting, the trade tensions with Australia are driving up prices for iron ore and could leave the economy better off overall.

Deloitte economist Chris Richardson said a “fear tax” had driven iron ore prices so high, they were making up for Chinese government moves against Australia’s wine, beef, lamb, barley, timber, lobsters, coal and other goods.

He is now predicting a higher than anticipated tax haul for the Federal Government.,,,