Requests for City Info

• 65 replies
Re: Chongqing
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:18 AM »
The girls in Chongqing have a reputation for being more beautiful than girls anywhere else in China.  Why? Because their skins are so white.  Why? Because the pollution is so bad they never see the sun.

offtopic Every city in China claims to have the prettiest girls. Hangzhou, Suzhou, Chongqing....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:31:57 AM by James the Brit »

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »
One of my friends has a younger brother working at the Danish Consulate in Chongqing. He says that he has forgotten what the sun looks like.  His discription of the place was, nerdy as ever, "Imagine Coruscant without the flying speeders and Jedi stuff".

offtopic Well, it's time someone did a comprehensive study regarding this beautiful girls malarkey. An official Saloon Fact-Finding Committee. My report from Lin'an and Hangzhou will be in by December and I suggest all the male members of the Saloon, who are obliged to be on said committee, follow suit.
Ladies, you can report on whether or not this holds true for the males also.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 06:04:28 AM »
bqbqbqbqbq...  ahahahahah.

I'd be literaly rolling in it, it seems!

So, anything... positive?  llllllllll

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »
Never lived there, but interviewed there once. Every account I've ever heard about Chongqing has NOT been good.

Uh,...except re: the girls. bfbfbfbfbf  And I can promise ya it AIN'T just the skin. afafafafaf

Badly polluted. Horrible weather...it's one of China's famous four "Furnace Cities"; so hot in the summer that many factories and other businesses there literally shut down for several weeks in August...there just ain't that much air conditioning in the world. Much of it is dirty and ugly...even by Chinese standards. Con is correct...it is the most populous city in the world (although this is for the municipality, which is about the size of Texas...) and has the urban sprawl and traffic nightmares to match.

One would think CQ has a good scene, and maybe it does...but it's eclipsed on this score by nearby Chengdu, which has better weather, more expats, and a Bookworm. bfbfbfbfbf
(Oh...and the occasional earthquake... oooooooooo )

Sichuan food is a favorite in China, and every city has good Chuan Cai restaurants.
And Suzhou alone has more Sichuan girls than you can shake a stick at...if THAT's your idea of a good time. ::)
Personally, CQ would be low on my list of places to settle.

Well, it's time someone did a comprehensive study regarding this beautiful girls malarkey. An official Saloon Fact-Finding Committee. My report from Lin'an and Hangzhou will be in by December and I suggest all the male members of the Saloon, who are obliged to be on said committee, follow suit.

Agreed. Let's do it in the Men's Lounge, where everyone knows what the hell they're talking about. uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »
I like to look, but I'm not a raging Chinese-girl-'bashing' retard with no regards to how others feel...

Well, hmmm, I know I shouldn't believe everything (anything?) Chinese people tell me about how great their city is, but I've only come across great comments from the Chongqing-rens I've spoken to on MSN.

The fact that it's highly populated, I think is quite awesome. I experienced that kinda thing in Hong Kong whilst on a short trip, and I loved being able to just fade into the whole mass movement of things.

I've also noticed the lack of job ads for Chongqing, though. :(

Edit: I come from England so I'm used to lots of rain... but not the Vinegar aspect, I admit. bibibibibi
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:44:38 AM by UncleScoobs »

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »
Agreed. Let's do it in the Men's Lounge, where everyone knows what the hell they're talking about. uuuuuuuuuu

Ohh, ohh, I forgot about these Secret Forums! Me want! bfbfbfbfbf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 08:19:01 AM »
Keep postin' the good stuff, Unc. You'll get there soon. bfbfbfbfbf

And you're right about the homeys....reviews from them of their own  cities absolutely cannot be trusted. They are very chauvinistic about their home cities, and the same against all other places. I think much of this is very much for their own benefit; they either convince themselves it's great, or go crazy. bibibibibi

I'm not a raging Chinese-girl-'bashing' retard with no regards to how others feel...

Then what the hell are you doing here? aoaoaoaoao

No, just joking. You can have quite the fine time here and do it ethically; you don't have to rage, be a retard, or bash anyone. Just communicate clearly, and yeah...consider people's feelings.
Personally, I plead insanity.
I'm jus' crazy  'bouts dat stuff. afafafafaf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Re: Requests for City Info
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »
Back on topic, I went to Chongqing for business last year or the year before and I think it's come on a lot since those reports were written. Yes the pollution will be bad and yes you may not see much in the way of blue skies but that holds true for many big, industrialised cities in China. What I saw was pretty good (including the Hilton Hotel  afafafafaf).

The city centre was like Chengdu, pedestrianised, lots of big glossy department stores, I was on the hunt for Strepsils and saw a few of the big dept stores had  imported food sections as well as all the made-in-China foreign food. Local food will be great provided you like spicy (and who doesn't). It's a very hilly city so you might have trouble getting around by pedal cycle but you could always get an electric bike and they've done a lot of work in recent years to greenify (is that a word?) the city centre so the ride from the airport to downtown, for example, is along a nice tree-lined expressway.

It's still not as nice as Chengdu, and the expat scene is no way as developed as Chengdu, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. And you are close enough to Chengdu (2-3 hours by bus on the expressway) that you can come to us for shopping, Bookworm, Western food etc. You should be able to find a job in either a uni or a high school easily enough, when are you hoping to come?

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »
No, just joking. You can have quite the fine time here and do it ethically; you don't have to rage, be a retard, or bash anyone. Just communicate clearly, and yeah...consider people's feelings.

Indeedy-do, and a little bit of patience pays-off. Afterall, you don't want to be having Sex with somebody who's Body is akin to a Sewer of Disease.

"Hey Mum! I had a great time in China, and I've come back with Aids!"...  bibibibibi

LaowaiSaoSao, thanks for the reply! :)

It doesn't sound so bad, to be honest. I'm not fussed about a strong Expat community and, in fact, I didn't much enjoy the Expat scene in Shenzhen. A lot of the guys were obviously just 'passing through' and taking advantage of anything they can, and I'm a bit too young (and annoying) for the Oldies to really take me seriously. ahahahahah

Got a ton of energy for those Hills, though! bfbfbfbfbf

Edit: I'm planning to go out there for the 2nd half of this coming School Year. So, February, 2009 I would guess. I need the whole Visa issues to settle down somewhat, too.

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »
One tip when you're internet searching for info/jobs on Chongqing (apologies if you already figured this out), Chongqing technically isn't Sichuan, it used to be and then they split it into a separate municipality. So although it's still Sichuan at heart, it might confuse things if you look for stuff on "Chongqing, Sichuan".

Bearing in mind when you want to come, I will keep my eye out for anything relevant. Provided you are going to a proper uni or high school, have a degree, are coming from your home country and leave plenty of time the visa really won't be a problem so I wouldn't worry about that too much. And if you get stuck for a job in Chongqing I can point you in the direction of a good employer here or in Mianyang (if you fancy somewhere less expatious - another new word!). Happy job-hunting.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind offer, but there is one problem in that I don't have a Degree... bibibibibi

Of course, that will remain a big issue when finding legal employment, but with 6 months previous teaching experience in China and being a native speaker, I'm hoping I won't have to settle for the worst of the worst.

The requirement of being 'white', is also no problem. Believe it or not, I received an award at my previous job, for being the 'Whitest Teacher' in the School's history. ahahahahah

I didn't know that about Sichuan/Chongqing, so thanks for pointing it out. Are you aware of any specific Employer's who can apply for the Residence Permit, with exceptions (in terms of needing a Degree)? I hear that some Schools can do this, just as other requirements can be 'by-passed', such as older age. I'm 24. :)

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 05:18:35 AM »
I still reckon you will find something, Chongqing just won't be overloaded with teachers, but you may not get a uni job. Lots of high schools want teachers too and I know of kindergartens in Chengdu that will employ people without degrees (and get work permits) so I'm sure you will be fine.

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
Thanks, that's great to hear (read?).

I've taught from age 6 to 14 before, and I must admit I do prefer the older students. I don't think I'd feel good teaching University students, having no degree and all.

I'll try to find a High School job first of all, then maybe look into Middle School's.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
Have put in an application in a uni in Dongguan (no idea of the name, only that it's a public uni- going through Angelina's). Can anyone tell me (who's in the know about DD) where Songshan Lake Daxue Rd is in relation to the city proper??

10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:14 PM »
I think SongShan Lake area is where Crippler and Ruth live.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/