A Special Greeting For Those Still Outside China (not for the squeamish...)

• 61 replies

George

• My view of China
At times like these, I could almost feel sorry for women......almost!! ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Vegemite

At one of our NZ universities we had to put notices up in different languages telling people not to squat on the 'western loos'- they ended up building some squats.

Vegemite

They pee all over where your feet should go and then they also walk out with the tattle-tale dribbles down their trouser legs. Daughter and I used to laugh at it when we first came, but now it's just part of daily life. It's like the men with their fly down - it used to make us glance aghast...but now it's normal.

Imagine how filthy the rim of a western public toilet could get here.

This is so true, i still find it funny when I've had a Chinese visitor to my home and used the bathroom after them, only to see their footprints all over the seat. They don't seem to like not squatting. It confuses some.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
I had absolutely never given thought that a local might stand on the toilet seat, that's quite interesting.  My TA would lift the seat when she used my loo.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
unbelievable.  We have one KFC here and that's it for western chain restaurants, if I have ta go when uptown, I use the KFC one.  Thank goodness the ladies side doesn't have urinals...eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww aaaaaaaaaa
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Last week in McDonalds in Guangzhou all the toilets were western.  One guy must have been so confused he filled the urinal with  bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq

They do this a lot with small children. Just hold them up to the urinal. I'm sure it feels quite sophisticated compared to the curbs.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Could be worse.

I once saw a man casually squat his little boy down on the floor in the middle of a KFC. aoaoaoaoao

I made sure to stand there and stare at the guy in unabashed gaping horror for a full 10 minutes... ararararar
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

That was your reaction.....what about the other patrons?  or the KFC Staff?  How did they react?
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
I don't think anyone even looked up from their chicken "hamburgers". Lucky them. I happened to see it because I was entering the restaurant at the time. It was hard to miss.. aqaqaqaqaq aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Oh, I've seen kids peeing and pooing in the middle of KFC and McDonalds quite a few times, especially 5 years back in Chengdu and Shenzhen. How did the staff react? They all laughed and giggled along with parents/caretakers/grandparents and the rest of the cheerful crowd that was enjoying their plastic burgers.

AMonk

So...is this a not uncommon occurrence in ALL restaurants?  Or only in the Western-style ones?  Would the parents be as quick to do the same in someone's Home?

In any case......... asasasasas asasasasas llllllllll llllllllll cbcbcbcbcb

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
I haven't seen this in restaurants, although big chunky morning hacks directly onto the carpet next to the table are de rigeur in places - especially Guangxi and Guangdong that I have seen, which is URTI kingdom plus. This includes all the gnarly sound effects.

That was like, eeeeewwww!
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Vegemite

I haven't seen it up here, either. But daughter did see a baby pooping in a handbasin once.
And big chunky morning hacks happen, but mainly outside...inside, it's usually a delicate little dribble to the side - which is why nobody puts their bags on the floor.

AMonk

OK.  Let's see if I've got this right.....China is an Emerging Economic Power, whose sanitary habits are firmly entrenched in the Middle Ages!  bibibibibi