A Special Greeting For Those Still Outside China (not for the squeamish...)

• 61 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Welcome to China!

I've been called a bastard before. It's true.  uuuuuuuuuu
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:25:10 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
We need Smellorama for a the true effect.

Yeah.  When my dad visited last summer, he made a point of completely avoiding any form of public lavatorial facility, always making sure he only needed to utilise it when at home...
It is too early to say.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
you forgot to mention that the green seen through the hole is the underbrush Under the bathroom...

da poopoo drops to the open ground below... `saves plenty on plumbing  bfbfbfbfbf
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Vegemite

Wow - semi-private cubicles..you do live a life of luxury in the south of China.

You just talked amonk out of coming to visit  asasasasas

And that is exactly the reason why avoided using public restrooms for the entire year I was in China.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

You just talked amonk out of coming to visit  asasasasas

Not yet...but Hubby may see things differently!!  Will wait until after he's finished breakfast to show him the pix.

Questions: Is this His, Hers, or Everyone's???  And does one face inward or outward?? And is there a door (behind the camera)??
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
Train your little bodies people. Use your mind for control. That way you will never be caught short in such disgusting surroundings.  I have yet to use a squat in 5.5 years here.( Touch wood!) Pissing is an exception.....for those of us able to stand while accomplishing such a feat.....I have pissed on a pile of writhing maggots on more than one occasion!! Feel better now?? bbbbbbbbbb
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

What you see is what you get AM... as for the direction you face, depend on what part of you body you're most comfortable displaying in public.  kkkkkkkkkk For me it's neither..... I go before I leave home and then just hold it.  kkkkkkkkkk
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Eeew! Thanks for the imagery George.  aaaaaaaaaa
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

George

• My view of China
Thanks for the imagery George.
Thought you'd like it!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Ruth

Amonk, local practice is to face outward.  Usually the sexes are separated.  There will probably be some sort of barrier between where you do your business and the outside world, although it may only be a short wall you walk around.  There are truly horrendous facilities here - as Raoul so kindly shared, but most are tolerable.

"Holding it" is not an ability I have been blessed with.  When you gotta go, you gotta go.  Carry scented tissues and wear hip waders and you'll be okay.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Vegemite

Yeah, when visiting the typical outdoor public ones up here you face outwards, balanced on two planks of wood across the hole. In winter you have to be careful not to squat too low as the frozen stuff piles pretty high...
Most of them have chest-high high walls and are single-sex with about six or more planks of wood for a group to squat.The biggest daughter and I visited had about space for 40 women to simultaneously squat.
I've only been to one a handful of times, but some of them can be fun...good conversations get going when they realise there is a laowei in their midst.

Oh, and you pray like hell that the boards won't break...and you learn to balance on the slippery wood.

I have to say, that even though many toilets in China are grim, I'm glad that squat toilets rather than western toilets are the norm.  Imagine how filthy the rim of a western public toilet could get here.  It doesn't bear thinking about.
It is too early to say.