From China Daily: Differences between Chinese women and American women

• 40 replies
Re: From China Daily: Differences between Chinese women and American women
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »
I won't flame you DS. I was mostly just being intentionally contrary, because, like you, I get sick of the stereotypes about who will or won't date whom and why.

I do think the days when foreigners (legit multinational managers aside, and even then, what amounts to basically 80k USD a year is a nice salary, but ... that's really all it is) were at the top of the payscale food-chain, are pretty much gone, although there is certainly a lot still riding on the idea that "You make 5x a local! You will live like a king in China!" But that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
I don't think that foreigners are seen as automatically richer etc anymore, but except for teachers, a large proportion of the foreigners here actually are upper middle class so they actually are pretty well off at home and better off here, which certainly doesn't hurt

I think something that has remained for a lot of girls is the idea of marrying a foreigner as a way to escape, not from the poverty but from the culture. A lot of Chinese families still have their weird traditions and customs about getting married, one of the other teachers here married a girl who is very modern and independent and everything as far as I know (I've known them for a few years but she isn't close friends with me or my wife...) and there was quite a lot of crap that the guy went along with from her family about Chinese traditions etc that our Chinese friends were quite surprised that it all still applied to her marrying a laowai, I think you can sometimes get out of it by saying it's too different to the culture...

I think a lot of people still want to get out of China as well. There is a lot of money and industry etc here now but they still don't trust the government.....

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
From what I can tell, my wife just had the mirror image of Yellow Fever. axaxaxaxax

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 06:16:06 AM »
From what I can tell, my wife just had the mirror image of Yellow Fever. axaxaxaxax

Being with you I'm surprised she doesn't have Cabin Fever

I know, i know, OFF TOPIC
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
I think it's also a function of biology in that more successful herds (social animals) bring in fresh blood (DNA)from time to time.  This translates to sexual attraction for the exotic among some individuals.  Throw in some 'nurture'(strong cultural identity, few foreign influences, crowded conditions, social pressures to conform) and it's almost surprising that more Chinese women and men aren't attracted to us.  Some are just curious and their attraction is not stronger than the cultural ties, but others will no doubt be satisfied by no less than a full blown laowai marriage.

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »
Does it happen often enough to be worthy of comment? That it is commented upon probably isn't a reflection on the women in question.

Top Ten Reasons Public Commentators Worry About Miscegenation:

1. They're racist.
2. ???
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
Does it happen often enough to be worthy of comment? That it is commented upon probably isn't a reflection on the women in question.

1. They're racist.
2. ???

I think I missed the part about public commentators who worry about miscegenation. Could you elaborate on where it is found above (or was a post removed?)  Or are you referring to the original quoted material? If it was my post, the one right above the quoted post, then I must take some responsibility for that misperception.  As someone who lives in China and is interested in human behavior, I think it is a valid topic and an interesting one that isn't well served by a top-ten list. 

If it seems that I was singling out Chinese biologically, then yes, it does indeed read as racist.  That wasn't my intent, as I was trying to describe the human condition.  We just happen to be people that mostly live in China and the topic was about Chinese people and their relationships with and to foreign people.

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
I should signal my intuitive connections a little more clearly. I was commenting on the whole phenomenon of Chinese commentators identifying these kinds of relationships as somehow special. However chipper and cheerful the China Daily list, for instance, there's still an implicit claim that something has gone wrong and the actions of these women needs clarification.

What makes it odder still is their action as a group requires some kind of summary. They are a category of women, the ones who married outside.

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »

1. They're racist.
2. ???

I think they're jealous
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »
According to Wikipedia, Cantonese men are hot for Persians and African America women. Or they were. Top ten reasons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation#United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation#China

Full disclosure: single and possibly content. The burden of understanding one Chinese woman and fighting off her whole society... it's like a prima facie proof you shouldn't do it.

HONEST OFFICER, I OPENED THIS ONE CAN, AND THEN THERE WERE WORMS EVERYWHERE I DON'T KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED>

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
roadwalker, I too am really interested in human behaviour. I choose to observe but not become closely involved with anyone. I find this topic really interesting as an older Anglo woman who grew up in a mainly male environment. I have concluded that it really comes down to the saying "To each his own said the old girl as she kissed the cow". In my own case, a partner needs to be on my wavelength and it doesn't matter what colour the person is. As an example, I would find it much easier to relate to a male of another race, who was born and raised in my Country, than one who was not, because of the differences. This is why I am interested in how you guys see this specific topic. I appreciate the honesty being shown here, because too often people are afraid to express their views on subjects like this one. bfbfbfbfbf