IT'S AN OFFER!! HAINAN OVERSEAS CHINESE HIGH SCHOOL (HAIKOU)

• 20 replies
Re: IT'S AN OFFER!! HAINAN OVERSEAS CHINESE HIGH SCHOOL (HAIKOU)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »
Borkya & LoveSaSa,

Thanks for the tips about the meds. Some of mine are routinely refilled for 90 days (although I may have to do it early for some before I go), others are 30 days--one is due to cost, the other is generic Ambien, which I think is going to be a lot tougher because it's considered a controlled, addictive-type medicine unless I cough up for something via the 'Net.

LoveSaSa--Getting this opportunity was sheer luck. I saw an ad on one of the many sites I was using--I honestly can't remember which one now, and applied through that. I don't know if the recruiter/rep (not a Chinese one!  bjbjbjbjbj) is still looking for teachers (may not be anything left for my school), but if you want I can ask.  ajajajajaj

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
I remember recently that TLD said getting meds for her family was not a problem in Beijing, but she needed to try a couple of different pharmacies and perhaps having an interpreter makes things much easier on that front.

Stuff like antibiotics is definitely not a problem to get here and amoxicillin is handed out readily by any clinic, such as those at universities.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
I don't know if the recruiter/rep (not a Chinese one!  bjbjbjbjbj) is still looking for teachers (may not be anything left for my school), but if you want I can ask.  ajajajajaj

I would be incredibly grateful, if you don't mind!!!

Regarding the Ambien, all I can think of is to talk to your doctor and explain the situation. I'm assuming you've tried alternatives, so I won't go down that road.

Quote from: Guangzhou Writer
Stuff like antibiotics is definitely not a problem to get here and amoxicillin is handed out readily by any clinic, such as those at universities.

Good to know!!! This was my biggest concern about getting before I left, since there's a lot of hooplah in the States about over-prescribing antibiotics.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »
I remember recently that TLD said getting meds for her family was not a problem in Beijing, but she needed to try a couple of different pharmacies and perhaps having an interpreter makes things much easier on that front.

Right. My parents are in their 60s and on a variety of meds. The only one they've had trouble with are strong pain meds for my mom's arthritis. So she's gone from taking hydrocodones to taking Tylenol+Codeine when the pain gets bad, which is probably a good thing. Most non-narcotic medicines are available here, but, that said, I would still ask your doctor at home for a supply -- usually they will give you a three month prescription at once, which will give you some leeway for figuring out your medicine supply when you get here.

Once you decide on a job/location you can make a post specifically about concerns with medicines (or dredge up an old one, I'm positive it has been discussed before) and hopefully get some more good advice.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
Congrats anderguyil, I hope it works out for you. Don't forget your swimming trunks, the beach is awesome there. They don't allow you to swim in your birthday suit unless you are under 7 (years)
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
Thanks Day Dreamer. Still in U.S. waiting for my work permit, which I understand has been approved and requires the signature of one more bureaucrat.  llllllllll  Hopefully it'll be sent to me by air this week and then I make a visa run (to Chicago). The school had told me they expected Sept. 1 or 2 as my start date and that they thought I would arrive in China around August 26-27. Cutting things a bit close IMO but they are buying me the ticket.