Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management

• 13 replies
Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
I received a contract from the Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management. Any word on this place?

Thanks

Allen

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
I don't have any information on the place personally, but I found the resume of someone who has some recent affiliation with them. Why not contact her and find out why she is so interested in moving on?
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/esl/index.pl?read=57282

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:27 AM »
Wow. That was some serious google-fu.

I don't have any information on the place personally, but I found the resume of someone who has some recent affiliation with them. Why not contact her and find out why she is so interested in moving on?
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/esl/index.pl?read=57282

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
The reason might have had much to do with the location. I never met a foreigner who'd actually lived there who wasn't tickled silly to be shed of Zhengzhou... ayayayayay
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
The reason might have had much to do with the location. I never met a foreigner who'd actually lived there who wasn't tickled silly to be shed of Zhengzhou... ayayayayay

Uhhh. What's wrong with the place? Maybe I can use it to get more money from them. aaaaaaaaaa

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
If you put Zhengzhou into the search engine on the forum it will come up with some stuff.  Both good and bad.

You can buy western stuff there, it has good bars, it's pretty business oriented, so plenty of money types around to have a fair number of up-market restaurants etc.  The pollution is average, it's close to some interesting places - Kaifeng, Luoyang, Shaolin etc. At the end of this month the 2 hour fast train to Xi'an starts. It has a great little museum, and it's pretty easy to get out into the country if you like camping etc.

It's not a bad Chinese city, as Chinese cities go.  Any city really depends on what you like to do, what you hope your China experience will be and and how adaptable you are.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
It's largely a question of taste. Like a lot of lower-tier Chinese cities, Zhengzhou has not long had a large foreign population (although it's growing now), and won't offer so much in the way of amenities. The pool of people you can really talk to is smaller. It's relatively backwards, dirty, and staring-intensive. The expats I knew from there found it unbearably boring.

I dunno...some people prefer such experiences. I respect and almost understand that. It's certainly a more brutal (and certainly interesting and exciting) entré to the realities of life in China, good and bad. I almost think everyone should spend their first year or two in a place like this...it does get you Down Wid' De Homeys more, and it makes you appreciate life in places like Suzhou or Shanghai or Beijing or Guangzhou or Chengdu that much more. ahahahahah

Zhengzhou is far from the worst places you could go. But it's also far from the best.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
Heard back from the teacher in question. She said that she has to get the okay from the boss to talk about the school. Is this normal?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
Heard back from the teacher in question. She said that she has to get the okay from the boss to talk about the school. Is this normal?

Normal is not really the best word to use in China. We might say that it's not unusual that she would have to ask the boss to do anything.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
But that she is actually agreeing is not so normal.

This is a private communication between you and her.  Curiouser and curiouser.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
I have seen the contract and a computer is included with the apartment. I wonder if her emails are not so private?

Jimi02

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
I lived in Zhengzhou for a while. It was a miserable place and I left. Also had a lot to do with my job/living situation, so take this with a grain of salt. But Zhengzhou has very little boast.

If people here are saying that the pollution is average then I guess it is, but then, I've been to many cities in China (as a traveler, not to stay) and I don't recall the pollution being anywhere near as bad as in Zhengzhou. I would come home after a few hours downtown and my clothes would just reek with the pollutants they would absorb, and didn't stop reeking until I stopped noticing it. From the window of the office I worked in, six floors up, I could spot no less than four coal power plants in the near vicinity (this was at the poorer, western edge of the city).

Culturally, it has very little to offer. I disagree with Lotus Eater that the little museum they have is "great". It has a few rooms of artifacts and some attractive female tour guides, but it won't eat up more than a couple hours, max, and you aren't likely to ever have a reason to go back. In terms of preserved architecture, interesting old neighborhoods, etc., there's basically nothing. The major tourist spot is Er Qi pagoda. There is, of course, lots of interesting things to see nearby Zhengzhou: Shaolin, Kaifeng, Luoyang... it is actually a very history-rich area.

Anyways, I could go on, but you get the point. I had a bad reaction to Zhengzhou, which isn't to say that you will. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about the city. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the school you mentioned.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
Hopefully some of you that have been in Zhengzhou will still read this. Once again, this post has been revived!

I am looking at a school in Zhengzhou. But I'm concerned that I won't be able to find

1. Things to do
2. A place to study Chinese

I'm more worried about #2. Does anyone know the skinny on studying Chinese in Zhengzhou? Are they're any good Chinese teaching places/teaching mills out that way?