Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #795 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »
Hi All,

It's soooo good to see so many 'old' faces still here (or maybe I should say experienced afafafafaf) I was an active member a while ago ...before work and Uni got in the way of any form of social life or ability to do anything other than those two activities. Can't complain too much though becuase it is paying divedends now with Uni   bhbhbhbhbh

I'm now in Townsville, North Queensland, Ozland. And finishing the last year of my Education degree (thank god, I'm over Uni).

Not much else to divulge, but am looking forward to regaining some the friendships this saloon facilitates  akakakakak

Geeze I sound like a pompous ass, oh well never mind. You'll have to excuse me I'm in transition between 'Holiday' and 'Uni' mode 

Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

George

• My view of China
« Reply #796 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
That explains it. Good to have you back, Motz. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #797 on: February 04, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
Hey Motzie, welcome back.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #798 on: February 07, 2009, 04:53:50 AM »
Ave, Motzie!  You've been missed.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

rattie

« Reply #799 on: February 12, 2009, 03:35:34 AM »
Good evening all, I'm not in great condition to go through all the formalities of introducing myself to you at present, probably a couple too many Victoria Bitter beers while 'enjoying' my packing for my return to China,next week.
I'm Australian, female, late 40's, with 3 years of china teaching experience behind me and two years in Italy prior to that. Apart from teaching English my main life's work has been as a union official, not a popular career choice these days, or at any time really, probably why I'm still single, few friends and even my dog left home!
I think I could safely describe myself presently as a refugee from the 'puritanical forum' for ESL workers.
I'd asked a question about the availablity of particular eye drops in the part of China I'm heading to, some poor innocent replied that I should examine thc as a solution, I quite genuinely and seriously responded about my opthamologist explaining that thc only reduces internal optical pressure by a few points for around 20 minutes and may be useful in emergencies but is most definitely not to be considered a cure or solution, the thread was locked?? Cheers Mr. K!?
Sorry, I just realised I'm venting rather than introducing myself, oops.
I lived in Harbin for my first 3 years in China and loved it, really loved it, my students, my uni, coworkers, the skating, the food. I had to return to Aus for exensive eye surgery which took 2 years to eventually stabilise.
This time I'll be in the south, Guangdong, accepting the invitation of my old Harbin boss who moved south and who was one of the most honest and trustworthy people I met in those years, his recommendation was enough for me. I hate hot weather but like most people who have worked in China for any length of time I appreciate how important a boss you can trust is to your daily wellbeing.
I'd love to make contact with any other teachers who may be in or around Foshan.
I'm still struggling with deciding what to pack and what to leave behind, I keep realising I've packed for Harbin, and keep removing long underwear and padded jackets formmy bag, I've still got 7 days to work this out.
I'm delighted to be on my way back, and hope I'll be welcome in this forum.
There was one brave member of the other forum who pm'd me and gave me details of an eye hospital in Guangzhou so my eye problem should be ok, so I won't be causing any trouble by tempting anyone to suggest or discuss anything that could shock!!!
Thanks, R
Oh yeah, I haven't figured out where you're supposed to put this information but my birthday will be on February 28..... nobody remembers it, ever, anywhere, I'm an orphan, yeah yeah boo hoo, but it will be another birthday alone with a cupcake with a single candle on it, so, any Foshan people who would care to join me for a few quiet cold ales would be welcomed as possible new friends of we have anything more in common than a liking for cold beer.

« Reply #800 on: February 12, 2009, 03:42:29 AM »
Welcome, rattie, to the most happening place in cyber space. We have many well-adjusted, normal members...they have all been locked up in the basement for their own protection. Don't climb up on the roof without squirrel repellant, please go for a spin with George on the dance floor and don't be scared if you feel something moving about under your table, it's just Stil. And, just as a heads up, under no circumstances say my glasses are pink.  agagagagag agagagagag
Not to worry, we always remember a birthday.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #801 on: February 12, 2009, 03:49:05 AM »
Welcome Rattie. Sorry to say, I'm not too far from Foshan...but I only have four weeks left here. If you make down Shenzhen way before St. Patrick's Day, I can probably meet with you.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

George

• My view of China
« Reply #802 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:23 AM »
we always remember a birthday.
Only if it's entered in your profile page!
Welcome aboard rattie...leaving a sinking ship is good! SS Greasy Spoon may well wallow on for a few years yet, but it's no LoveBoat!
Do chuck in a pair of longjohns for GuangZhou. Houses have no heating, and it's bloody cold inside in winter!
Good to hear you have an understanding Boss. Enjoy GuanDong.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #803 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:38 AM »
We will remember your B'day IF you have it in your profile otherwise we will be the same as the rest of the world and   uuuuuuuuuu

There are a few saloon members down in that neck of the woods, so you should be able to meet up with some of them.

About the long underwear.  In the south of China they don't heat the apartments and it can get COLD in the winter.   Pack a pair for 'just-in-case'!  Ask some of the others in the south about other things you need or don't need.  You don't need your down coat but ...

Enjoy and welcome  akakakakak agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah  George and I cross-posted.  But it does get very cold inside in the south  agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #804 on: February 12, 2009, 04:13:05 AM »
Welcome! We are in Zhuhai :) There is a whole bunch of us, Guangdong-ren, around here!

« Reply #805 on: February 12, 2009, 06:30:16 AM »
Welcome aboard, Rattie! agagagagag  And don't worry about the venting- that's half the reason the Saloon is here. asasasasas
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #806 on: February 12, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
welcome Rattie, you've found a new place that will never let you feel alone again :-) ...no matter your occupation.

The crew here are fabulous enjoy your packing :-), I don't get to touch Chinese soil for months yet and I'm already dreading the packing  llllllllll
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

AMonk

« Reply #807 on: February 12, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
Welcome, Rattie agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #808 on: February 13, 2009, 02:43:15 AM »
Welcome Rattie.

I'd would've been happy to come to Foshan and say "Hi!" but I'm getting on the train tomorrow evening bound for Haerbin (again) after the last 2.5 years in Dongguan.

Hope you enjoy the southern weather... I'm happy to be heading back North again.

I was sad to read about you having to drink VB, and hope that doesn't also mean you are a Victorian (although, that would be better than a Queenslander drinking it!), in any case nice to have another Aussie here!
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #809 on: February 13, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
Welcome all you new kids!

Uh, Rattie, you getting PMs? Shouldn't be yet...

I live in one of those places where very few people speak English. It is fun, but can be trying at times too.

Dude! You're from DENMARK. Blive jeres leder ud af imellem jeres bagdel. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)