• Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1170 on: November 05, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »
I don't get dame Edna. What am I missing?  mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #1171 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »

Favorite character?  Bunk?

I'm fond of Lester.

Late in season 4 now.  Rarely bathing, lest it interfere with my viewing.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

A-Train

« Reply #1172 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »

Favorite character?  Bunk?

I'm fond of Lester.

Late in season 4 now.  Rarely bathing, lest it interfere with my viewing.

Slacker!  A real fan would bring the laptop to the tub with him.
BTW: I'll never look at abandoned buildings the same again.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1173 on: November 05, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
Dame Edna Everage...Her website.
http://www.dame-edna.com/index2.htm
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #1174 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:01 AM »
Finished the entire series.  What do I do now?  amamamamam

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

A-Train

« Reply #1175 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Finished the entire series.  What do I do now?  amamamamam

Cry.  And bore others with tales of how good it was.  Then fruitlessly try to find an adequate substitute.  If you haven't seen "Deadwood", it will certainly provide your fix.  I thought "The Tudors" was pretty good also.  Historically accurate as far as I could find out.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1176 on: November 07, 2009, 02:40:20 AM »
Anyone seen "The boy who cried bitch"? I've heard good things about it but no one seems to have it...
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1177 on: November 07, 2009, 03:29:18 AM »
Anyone seen "The boy who cried bitch"? I've heard good things about it but no one seems to have it...

Is that new? I seem to remember an old small film from about 20 years ago. Doubtful to find it here. Would have to download.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1178 on: November 07, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Watching Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica - not too bad, although some of the computer animation is dodgy.  Watched the latest StarTrek - also not too bad.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1179 on: November 07, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

« Reply #1180 on: November 07, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
Moon

Fabulous movie.  A touch of the 2001, a little like Solaris and Sunshine, but, in my humble opinion, better. 

"Hey, you wanna play some ping pong?"
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1181 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:43 AM »
Fianlly watched Milk.  It lives up to its billing.  And Sean Penn does a completely new role- he always rocks.

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1182 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
I lashed out 6 kuai and bought "Australia". What a collection of cinematic cliches!! bibibibibi
It's so bad, it could almost be a comedy. The photography is ordinary, the lighting is very amateurish...if I noticed it, that's amateurish.....the matte paintings were noticeable as matte paintings.....Darwin Harbour, the smoke from the ships never moved...the ripples (moving) were waaay out of proportion to the ships, which also didn't move. The obligatory stampede, (a must for every movie about droving) starts in the pitch black of night, then bursts out into the midday sun!
The introduction of the heroine to Australia...a bar-room brawl, featuring the hero. "Crocodile Dundee, anyone?
The same hackneyed use of "long-ago-shoulda-retired"  B-grade australian actors in the supporting cast.....Bruce Spence?  kkkkkkkkkk
The usual stereotypes...The English "Lady-with-a-broom-up-her-arse", the tut-tutting local matrons, the tough "drover-who-can't-ride-a-horse-properly", the suitably evil bad guys, the "aborigine-who-always-stands-on-one-leg", the "absolute-wreck-of-a-homestead-which-miraculously-transforms-after-a-shower-of-rain", etc.  Oh, yes. The dancing-in-the-street-scene, when the "Big Wet arrives.
Mucking about with history. Never let the facts get in the way of a mediocre story. Japanese soldiers invading a mission island the day after the bombing of Darwin? Never happened, but it was an opportunity to get rid of the "drovers-best-aboriginal-mate".
The Number Two bad guy saying..." Yeah, no, blah, blah,blah!
Waste of a good 6 kuai!

Apart from all that, the little Aborigine kid "kicked arse". Big time!!!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1183 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »
He was good, but the whole thing was incredibly predictable from go-to-whoa. 

A-Train

« Reply #1184 on: November 11, 2009, 02:02:03 AM »
The usual stereotypes...

Waste of a good 6 kuai!

Not to mention about three hours of your life that you'll never get back.  What the hell were they trying to do?  Roll every cliche scene from every movie that Howard Hawkes and Raoul Walsh ever made and assume a classic would emerge?  And why would Nicole Kidmann subject herself so such tripe?  She's a great actor who assumes many unusual roles.  Would her patriotism have come into question if she had turned down her role in this train wreck?  I kept getting the idea that the producers were bound and determined to one-up the classic American Western genre.  They should have looked to "Man From Snowy River" for guidance.

Pearl S. Buck