Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

moon over parma

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2007, 08:17:39 AM »
"Sprite" is the USAnian version of the British lemonade...

Or is the Blighty "lemonade" a take on someone else's lemon and club soda with sugar?

Sprite (created by Coca-Cola in the sixties), is itself a knock off of the American 7-Up (invented in 1929). When were lemon-lime fizzy flavored drinks introduced to Blighty? The earliest stats I could dig up (in terms of manufacturing) would be the 1970s, which still places SPRITE  ahead of the pack.

I am actually itnerested in this kind of silly trivia.

Whatever the case, Blighty's "Lemonade" or Oz's LEED (which was produced by Coca-Cola in the 1960s), or America's oldest (7-Up) and its myriad of knock offs (including 70s era Coca-Cola concoction SPRITE) all owe their existance to the French. Lemon-lime soft drinks and fizzy drinks were being manufactured there in varying degrees since the 1700s!

Regardless of national identity - it's all good drinkin' to me!

jjjjjjjjjj
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:20:28 AM by moon over parma »

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2007, 10:00:41 AM »
Actually, I know all this. Well, not all, but they sell sprite here. I just always thought there should be a dead sprite in the bottles, like the worm in tequila or the snake in shejiu. Guess there is a reason my friend won't let me make them Bloody Mary's.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

moon over parma

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2007, 10:40:35 AM »
Guess there is a reason my friend won't let me make them Bloody Mary's.

I appreciate your humor, ETR. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
I think a much more pertinent, and undeniable, fact is that 'Bud' in the US is a ripoff of the infinitely superior Czech Budvar, which is one of the world's best lagers. 
It is too early to say.

moon over parma

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »
I think a much more pertinent, and undeniable, fact is that 'Bud' in the US is a ripoff of the infinitely superior Czech Budvar, which is one of the world's best lagers. 

I prefer whiskey, for what it's worth. If I want cheap piss I'll take a PBR. I come from the school of thought that says: if you're going to hell (i. e. bad brew) then do so with a can of gasoline (Pabst Blue Ribbon!)!  qqqqqqqqqq

However, we can all compromise and have boilermakers. agagagagag

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »
in my 3 months stay in china,i've already watched over a hundred movies.

the freedom writers is the best yet  bfbfbfbfbf
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

moon over parma

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
I recently watched the late Fernando Di Leo's DEATH COMMANDO starring the greatest f'n actor that ever blipped under film critics radar (but managed to capture the imaginations of folks like John Frankenheimer, Jim Jarmusch, Steven Soderberg, Rod Serling, Umberto Lenzi, Fernando Di Leo, etc.): American, Henry Silva.

Not a great film from Di Leo, who peaked in the sixties and seventies; it's a fun, utterly disposable bit of 80s Euro-action trash. It feels like it was meant to be a comedy but much of the comedy was cut out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 02:59:55 PM by moon over parma »

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
I just watched a Korean movie called How To Keep My Love. It wasn't bad... a few giggle worthy parts.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

moon over parma

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »
This evening I watched a National Geographic "Explorer" documentary on North Korea. They went in to document the efforts of a Tan eye doctor who went to treat a thousand patients in a short span of time (less than a couple of days, and he met his personal goal of treating a thousand patients). That doctor rules. North Korea though, does not rule.

« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
Watched a Russian movie about seismo-weapon. Was actually alright, I was surprised.

moon over parma

« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
Watched a Russian movie about seismo-weapon. Was actually alright, I was surprised.

What was its title?

« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2007, 06:32:33 PM »
Ummmm Dislocation

« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
Ummmm Dislocation

Sounds painful  aoaoaoaoao
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

phets72

« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
I've been watching alot of french stuff since I got back in January.  I saw 'My Best Friend' last week.  The director is famous for dealing with isolation in his narrative.  Alot of his movies are dark, this one is a breath of fresh air because it's light and funny. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 01:55:50 AM by phets72 »

moon over parma

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2007, 01:18:20 AM »
I'm about to sit down to Lee Frost's POLICEWOMAN, staring Sondra Currie.