Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1650 on: October 15, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
I'm watching the new version. I think the most interesting thing for me is the difference between 50s Australia and 2000 Australia. I much prefer the old version, Armand Assante is no Gregory Peck and I love Barry Brown and Rachel Ward but they aren't as classy and washed up as Fred Astaire and Ava Gardner

@piglet: arggh there's a book as well?

The End of the World is my favourite subject. I hope to save up and write an academic book before the world ends

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1651 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
The End of the World is my favourite subject. I hope to save up and write an academic book before the world ends

I'm writing a movie script about a guy who's thinking about writing an academic book about the world ending.  The catch is that whatever he publishes is destined to come true, so various forces battle to either help him along, prevent him from writing, or change what he says. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1652 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
Prisoners (2013)

I don't think I've ever seen Hugh Jackman in a better role. It's an absorbing thriller, full of dread and morality, pitch perfect pacing, the whole kaboodle. Maybe the best thriller since Se7en, I thought it that good.

« Reply #1653 on: October 16, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »
They have a classic movie once a Month at a Cinema here in Brisbane. I saw "Flashdance" from the early 80's I think. Starred Jennifer Beals and Michael Nouri. I didn't stop jiggling in my seat(minds out of the gutter boys) :candyraver: :dancemj: Next month it will be "The Godfather Part 2" and then "Grease" after that one. I love to watch all these old movies, especially at the Cinemas. "Prisoners" starts tomorrow, so I'll be interested in seeing that Reawake. bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1654 on: October 16, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »
Ah, Jennifer Beals. akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1655 on: October 18, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
New movie coming out, wonder if they'll play it in China

A Touch of Sin

write up in the Toronto Star  http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2013/10/17/a_touch_of_sin_slams_modern_china_with_medieval_brutality_review.html
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1656 on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:19 PM »
Pretty sure the agenda for US movies released in China are lent too heavily towards sequels prequels or woeful original imaginings of robot related features  awawawawaw

I hope China stops patronising the people and begins releasing films with greater intellectual worth. And stop the pointless cuts! Ie that bad guy shooting (heaven forbid) a Chinese security guard in Skyfall. Nanny state bullshit that....

I saw Bruno last night, I wasn't keen going into it, but I ended up laughing more than I have at a movie in ages. Sacha Baron Cohen is one tenacious mofo!

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1657 on: October 21, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »
Kitano, then you MUST watch the tv movie remake of it- it's even better than the original and more updated/ hitech. Fantastic movie!

I believe it may be in full on You Tube.

Just found it on Youtube, I'll watch this after school today  ababababab
Thanks Kitano and Becster. I recently saw the original and loved it, very hard-boiled, and had no idea there was a remake, much less a remake that has such good reviews. Downloading now...

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1658 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:01 AM »
BTW, if you like end of the world scenarios, including ones set Down Under, have you seen "The Quiet Earth" from 1985? One of my favorite sci-fi's and it does not drag on, IMO, as many do.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1659 on: October 21, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Can people please say where they are streaming from cos I was using Torrents and watching later but maybe watching streaming is better.. suggestions welcome  bjbjbjbjbj
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1660 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
"Thanks for sharing" starring Mark Ruffalo, Gweneth Paltrow and Tim Roberts. This is about three guys from different backgrounds who are undergoing treatment to recover from their sex addiction.  afafafafaf  I took my naive (76yrs old) neighbour but didn't tell her what the movie was about. She commented that it was strange that there were only women in the audience. uuuuuuuuuu  Maybe it was a bit too close to home? ahahahahah I enjoyed in anyway and my neighbour learned a bit more about the opposite sex. uuuuuuuuuu bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah

« Reply #1661 on: October 26, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
"Captain Phillips" was really well acted by Tom Hanks. I kept shaking my head all through the movie, as I couldn't understand how a ship could be so unprotected in waters that I thought were known for Somali pirates. When I came home, I did some research and it appears that the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama was the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in TWO HUNDRED years. Can't wait to hear what you folks think of this movie, based on fact, about this 2009 hijacking. I still can't believe that they carried no firearms. bibibibibi
The other thing that kept going through my mind was what the rescue mission must have cost. bibibibibi

« Reply #1662 on: October 26, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
Just read some info on the movie. Like most Hollywood productions, many great movies are based on facts and the final product has little in common with actual events.

The critics and audience seem to like the flic, the real crew are not so endorsing

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1663 on: October 26, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
I didn't follow it that closely at the time, but was the really dumb thing about that hijacking not that although no Americans had been victims of piracy for centuries, pirates had been hijacking pretty much anything that they could catch in those waters for years (I think)

Whenever the US attacks people like that using special forces and helicopters and so on I always just think 'they could just give them the money they are going to spend on killing them and they would probably go around telling everyone how great America was

« Reply #1664 on: October 26, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I didn't follow it that closely at the time, but was the really dumb thing about that hijacking not that although no Americans had been victims of piracy for centuries, pirates had been hijacking pretty much anything that they could catch in those waters for years (I think)

Whenever the US attacks people like that using special forces and helicopters and so on I always just think 'they could just give them the money they are going to spend on killing them and they would probably go around telling everyone how great America was

bibibibibi

What are you, French?