Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1545 on: May 07, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
Thanks guys! bfbfbfbfbf Violence doesn't bother me and the film was certainly visually distinctive. Looks like it is just different strokes.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1546 on: May 09, 2013, 04:36:43 AM »
Yeah, different strokes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:57:03 AM by gzwriter »

« Reply #1547 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:38 AM »
I confess to liking "Die Hard", all of them, albeit I found the third one a bit too much. However, I just watched the latest installment and it was, to put it mildly, horrible. Crap plot-line, no funny one-liners, a most flat performance by all the actors and, most unbelievable, it was boring. If you, like me, have fond teen memories of watching John McClane killing Hans Gruber, stay away from 'A Good Day to Die Hard". It is quite simply a complete waste of time, it is not even entertaining and, Odin knows, the Die Hard movies are not exactly meant to by Algonquin Round-Table material.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Monkey King

« Reply #1548 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32:29 AM »
Have you seen Bruce Willis' recent interview on British TV?  Even he couldn't seem to muster any enthusiasm for it.

« Reply #1549 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Nope, but I can understand why he wouldn't.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1551 on: May 17, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
Downloaded the new Star Trek movie (confession: I'm a major Trekkor) Unfortunately, it came from a non English speaking country. During the Klingon conversations, I couldn't read the sub-titles

A little forced and contrived. Not a disappointment, but not their best either
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:37:23 PM by Day Dreamer »
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1552 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
Saw "The Company you keep" starring Robert Redford and directed by him. The story wasn't too bad, but I thought that the Actors really looked too old. I know that these folk were supposed to have been young folk in the 70's but Robert with a 12 yrs old daughter looked a bit odd to me.

Saw "Snitch" yesterday starring Dwayne Johnson and Susan Sarandon. There was plenty of action and it was based on a true story. I enjoyed it and my old neighbour commented that the men would like this movie. bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:02:43 PM by Granny Mae »

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1554 on: May 20, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
Saw 'The Master' the other day. That Paul Thomas Anderson is an amazing director.

If you've seen 'There Will Be Blood' it's pretty much the same atmosphere and similar characters. This time it's about a religious cult at the end of WW2

I'm normally pretty ADD watching films but this had me riveted for 2 hours

A-Train

« Reply #1555 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
"The Master" had great acting and, as you say, a distinct feel, but in the end, I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much.  Maybe I need a second look at it, but despite all its good qualities it seemed hollow.  I would definitely recommend it. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

elzoog

« Reply #1556 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
As far as a movie to do in class, recently I did Cider House Rules (please note that I am teaching university students, this movie would definitely be inappropriate for middle school or maybe high school students).

I did it because although I generally like the movie, I also think there are a few weaknesses in it.  It seems to be a good movie to discuss "What did you like about it?" and "What didn't you like about it?"

For example, I found the character of Mr. Rose Rose to be inconsistent.  I don't want to post any spoilers though so I will leave it to you guys to figure out why I think so.

A-Train

« Reply #1557 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:15 AM »
For example, I found the character of Mr. Rose Rose to be inconsistent.

It's been a long time, but are you sure he wasn't just showing one side of himself to the white people and hiding the other?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

elzoog

« Reply #1558 on: May 22, 2013, 05:10:12 AM »
For example, I found the character of Mr. Rose Rose to be inconsistent.

It's been a long time, but are you sure he wasn't just showing one side of himself to the white people and hiding the other?

Try watching the movie then asking me that again.   

« Reply #1559 on: May 23, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
"Broken" is a captivating and heartbreaking exploration of love in all its many forms. The cast was really good with Tim Roth, Cillian Murphy and a really great newcomer Eloise Laurence. I think this young lass will become a real star. She is about 11 or 12 yrs old.