Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »
"reign over me" a different adam sandler...

whew! the dvd copies here arent really as good as china's! mostly from indo and malaysia! really s****! and 50% more expensive!
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
Has anyone seen "The Forbidden City- Curse of the Golden Flower"? It's apparently the most expensive movie ever to be produced in China. It premiers tomorrow and I'm going. First Beijing Cao Ya, then movie. Yippee agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #287 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »
Of course - it's been out on dodgy DVD for ages!!  OK, not brilliant. But fun if you like the genre.

« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2007, 11:52:16 PM »
I liked Hero, haven't seen the house of dagggers thing yet. Should be fun. I primarily go for the cinematography and hearing the language.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2007, 03:57:03 AM »
I'm not a big Adam Sandler fan but I just watched Reign Over Me and was impressed.  Also watched Moonlight Mile with Susan Sarandon (whom I love) and Dustin Hoffman.  Both of these films deal with the death of loved ones.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2007, 05:42:12 AM »
I just watched 1408, superb horror/ghost film with John Cusack as a guy trapped in a freaky hotel room.  Blinding stuff.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2007, 06:45:21 AM »
I liked Hero, haven't seen the house of dagggers thing yet. Should be fun. I primarily go for the cinematography and hearing the language.
You liked Hero?  I felt cheated and threatened by it.  Aside from using the spectacle of colour... blandly, how much payoff was there really after discovering--twice!--that the story being told on screen wasn't real?  And the pointlessly balletic martial arts.  And the emperor killed everyone!  I know there was a deep Confucian message being demonstrated, or trying to be demonstrated, but the film emptied it of content.  Unless i misunderstood--since I was watching it inside China I couldn't work out if it was caustic criticism or overlord propaganda.

It'd be totally weird to put House of Fly Daggers, Shi Mian Mai Fu, in any category along with Hero.  House of Flying Daggers is beautiful, the story replete with bizarre Chinese values that nonetheless make sense, and--first time I've ever seen this--the Mandarin spoken by the actors is beautiful.  It's lovely to listen to.  Never thought I'd find that in a Chinese film.  Every halfwit student I know dismisses the film.  "Oh, that's just made for foreigners," they say.

Elsewhere, I've been watching some flawed but fabulous films. 

Mister Brooks with Kevin Costner.  Serial killers are fun.
Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrel.  Ferrel doesn't quite hit the black pathos note needed, more like puppy dog pathos, but black humour story moves along nicely, and sometimes laugh out loud funnily, around him.

and, best for last,

28 Weeks Later.

The first film, 28 Days Later, is super cool in concept and ends in a disappointingly bizarre At The Manor panto, whereas the sequel, 28 Weeks Later, is just super cool.  Spanish director, angry zombies, and an astonishingly moving, embracing, compelling soundtrack.  Horror films have finally stopped being camp.

Forgive me too, but I think the latest Harry Potter film is pretty good.

uTorrent is my friend.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2007, 10:31:40 AM »
I mean, I liked Hero as entertainment. It's in my hangover section of movies. These odd hopping-fighting-kicking movies are not really me favourites. Or, in other words, I watched Hero once and I can watch Once Upon a Time in the West over and over and over....

Mr. Brooks was dead cool. One of the best movies I have seen all year.

Hopefully, when I go to the Toronto Film Festival next week, I will get to see The Golden Age and/or that new Jesse James movie with Brad Pitt. I know, I know, but I actually think that mr. Pitt is a very good actor.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
Great movies also are "Fight Club", "Pulp Fiction" and "From dusk till dawn". bfbfbfbfbf

Crazy story, great actors and lots of fun  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »
Speaking of "Pulp Fiction"... My favorite Tarantino film is "Jackie Brown." Wonderful performances all 'round, especially from Robert Forster and Samuel Jackson.
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »
 Recently saw "Behind the Mask"... a really funny and clever spoof of the slasher genre. It's about film crew who is making a movie about a smart, charming young man who aspires to be a slasher like those depicted in movies like "Friday the 13th", "Halloween" ect. It follows him as he goes into training ,works on his "gimic" ect. It reminded me of a very obscure B movie I saw years ago called Unmasked Part 25 which detailed the every day life of a killer based on the "Jason" character from Friday the 13th as he fell in love with a blind girl and worked on anger management. Funny stuff.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2007, 09:27:45 PM »
Love and Other Disasters, it's a British chick-flick but refreshingly quirky.

old34

« Reply #297 on: September 08, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
Love and Other Disasters, it's a British chick-flick butrefreshingly quirky.

Shouldn't that "but" be a "so" or a "thus" or even a "therefore"?

I dunno, I find British chicks women refreshingly quirky. (Emphasis on the refreshingly).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
You Kill Me, with Ben Kingsley.  A hit man with an alcohol problem is sent to clean up by joining AA.  There's a hilarious scene where he's listing the people he's harmed and lists those he knocked off while drunk which resulted in sloppy work...'there's the woman who's throat I was supposed to slit but I got her in the eye instead.' 

New TV season is also starting bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
Im watching yet another Bollywood trick. I should send this one to Raoul. It's a remake of the Snatch. Picture Brad Pitt singing and dancing... a bit tanned... with darker skin... and shorter. There you go!