Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

fox

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1410 on: June 18, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
I discovered 'shameless' the uk version.  I cant believe that escaped my radar. loving it.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1411 on: July 14, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
I recently had the unpleasant experience of watching "Thor"...what a gigantic piece of  bqbqbqbqbq with added lukewarm  bbbbbbbbbb...I have always found the concept of Thor being a superhero quite absurd. He is a thunder god! But in the movie, the gods are not gods, Bifrost is a giantic energy wave that can destroy Jotunheim, Loki is a pathetic creep who is desperate for his Odin's attention, Sif is some sort of shield-Maiden, a brunette BTW though anyone slightly familiar with the Icelandic Eddas would know about the hair spun by the dwarves out of magic and sunlight....Mjolnirs handles is about five times to large, Thor is some big, blond pretty boy who, even though he has never been to Earth and is not a god, is for some reason fluent in English. Valhalla consists of tall, shiny, majestic buildings where people prance about in metal helmets adorned with ever-so-pretty ornamental wings and flowing red capes...
The acting was wooden, at times overtly melodrmatic and the plot was downright stupid. To me, this movie was a complete and utter failure, both with regards to its approach to Norse Mythology and entertainment value...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1412 on: July 14, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Unfortunately, ETR, they're making movies out of comics today because all the good books are too difficult for the average Holywood producer have been taken.
Some escapist fantasy works well enough, some doesn't. Thanks for the heads-up on one that doesn't.

AMonk

« Reply #1413 on: July 15, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
Have recently been having a British Binge  bnbnbnbnbn .... Doc Martin (#1-4), Pie In the Sky (#1, with #2-5 on order), George Gently (#1, and set to order #2-4) and New Tricks (#1 but #2-4 are coming soon).  Boy, am I ever happy that Amazon akakakakak finally has the US Region 1 version of these.

Doc Martin -- irascible surgeon with haemophobia becomes GP in Cornish fishing village. ahahahahah ahahahahah

Pie In The Sky -- Metro detective wants to retire to run his own restaurant.  His boss won't sign off on the paperwork.  Cooking + detecting bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

George Gently -- Scotland Yard Detective - with a conscience, morals and high standards - moves into Yorkshire after his wife is run down and killed. agagagagag bfbfbfbfbf

New Tricks -- after shooting a dog, lady Detective is put in charge of squad of misfits/has-beens to crack "cold" cases. ahahahahah agagagagag bfbfbfbfbf

Moderation....in most things...

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1414 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Just saw "Chico and Rita" at the Jerusalem Film Festival.Animated Cuban Jazz romance-quite magical  akakakakak
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1415 on: July 23, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
I stumbled across this film review.....Some genius English!

http://mankabros.com/blogs/btp/2011/07/22/captain-america-the-first-avenger-review/

Looks like there could be some good EFL opportunities in Finland  bibibibibi
Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

NATO

« Reply #1416 on: July 25, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
Just finished watching Transformers 3. It was exactly as I expected. My phone's snake and sudoku got a work out and I also went for a short walk around the cinema during. The girlfriend seemed amused though.

It annoys me that I can't enjoy this type of film very much, I just can't see past all the sub-par acting, dialogue and gratuitous product placement.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:30:09 AM by NATO »

« Reply #1417 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50:11 AM »
I watched that too...well, watched and watched...I kept wondering why old robots, like the thingy Prime voiced by Leonard Nimoy, have weird metal beards? It was a silly, silly movir...Also watched Ironclad...it was even dumber....then watched "Jumping over the broom" which was about as interesting and original as stale oatmeal...
Managed to download and watch episode 1-7 of "The Borgias", excellent stuff and, for once, Jeremy Irons does not ham it up, almost makes one forget his role as Profion in "Dungeons and Dragons"...trying hard to find a good, downloadable copy of the last three episodes.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1418 on: July 25, 2011, 05:35:56 AM »
was going to do the Borgias,but have not finished the Tudors yet  ahahahahah

« Reply #1419 on: August 05, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »
Saw "Red Dog" yesterday at the movies. All the Aussies should see this Australian movie which is set in the 1970s. I quote Rachel Taylor the Aussie actress."It's about how these people move to the Pilbara to work in the mining industry, make money and leave. But that doesn't always work out; they fall in love with the place and with each other. And the emblem of that is this dog,who is this dirty buggar who wanders around and eats things he shouldn't and farts on the bus. He's a little mongrel, but everyone falls in love with him."
To really appreciate this, it helps to understand what it is like for these rough Aussie blokes in isolated mining camps; they do unusual things and will gamble on two flies crawling up a wall. The red dog "koko" plays his part very well. Based on a TRUE story, this dog wandered all over Western Australia, hitching rides on all sorts of vehicles and seemingly knowing where he was going. A bronze statue of him was erected on the outskirts of Dampier (Western Australia) with a plaque which reads "Red Dog: the Pilbara wanderer. Erected by the many friends made during his travels." The film reviews can be Googled and will perhaps give a better overview of the movie. George will understand about that part of the Country and its red dust. I think ETR and other folk who care about animals, will really like this movie even if we Aussies appear a bit strange, particularly back in the 1970's. Please make the effort, it is worth it! bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1420 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
I just watched "Cowboys and Aliens"...it could have been a good and funny movie, instead it was trite, even boring in places, acting was wooden and the plot was idiotic.
Now downloading 'The Smurfs"...I like smurfs...

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1421 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
I like them better in French "Schtroumpfs"  ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1422 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
Now downloading 'The Smurfs"...I like smurfs...

They're ok, if you grill them right and use enough Tabasco sauce on them. uuuuuuuuuu
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1423 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
Things I learned this summer. Shia LeBeouf is a much better actor when dubbed in Mandarin and I'll watch just about anything that J.J. Abrams puts out.

« Reply #1424 on: December 18, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »
Warrior

A moving story of men punching men.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

A Dangerous Method

Freud, Jung, and who? A pleasing dramatisation.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Twilight - Breaking Dawn, Part I

Excellent, excellent movie--unlike the other Twilight films in that this one "goes there".
Obviously wasn't meant to be funny, but it is.   bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:22:09 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0