Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #645 on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:09 AM »
They scrapped it??? But it looked so good...too dark and weird???? Who does not like dark and weird??

Just bought "Life on Mars". Don't really know what it is about but the description of it sounded interesting.
If you're referring to the BBC program, I think you're in for a treat. The concept is different from anything I've seen on television. Good acting, and it is clear a lot of research went into the project. It is one of those shows that's best to watch in order. The finale of season two had me on pins and needles. Now that I've raved, I hope you like it and will return to share your opinion. Even if you tell me I've got the worst taste in TV ever :)

Oh, if you haven't yet seen Jekyll, that's a must-see! It's dark, so if that's not to your taste, avoid at all costs. The acting was stellar. It's only about 6 episodes but worth watching. James Nesbitt stars as Dr. Jackman/Hyde and is brilliant! These shows are part of the reason I can't watch American television. Nothing compares!

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #646 on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »
I've just been turned on to my first British drama, brand new, called The Fixer.  Good guys doing bad things in the name of good.  Just watched episode 2, still missing a few of the words due to the accents but it's 'quite brilliant'
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #647 on: March 20, 2008, 06:44:12 AM »
Never heard of the Fixer.

Watched episodes 5/6 of Ashes to Ashes tonight/last night.

I'm actually enjoying it more than Life on Mars, maybe because of the London setting.
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #648 on: March 20, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
The Fixer just showed up two weeks ago.  It's on Pirate Bay and worth a look.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #649 on: March 22, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
I watched The Kite Runner and was very impressed. It didn't stray from the book and the childhood relationship (first half or so) between the two boys was extremely well presented 

« Reply #650 on: March 23, 2008, 12:02:31 AM »
Watched lost 4.08.  A good episode to break the season on.

Why do they have these stupid mid season breaks in the US?

I want more damn it, this is the best Lost season yet!

Also watched the rest of There Will be Blood.  Good, but my version is dodgy.  Starts jumping around towards the end and bits are cut out.  asasasasas

Tonight I feel like pure mindlessness, so I'm going to watch "Shoot em up"
It is too early to say.

« Reply #651 on: March 24, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
Saw "BRICK LANE" based on the best selling novel by Monica Ali. It is a touching and well acted story about a 17 year old Bangladeshi village girl, Nazneen (Tannishishtha Chatterjee) who is married off to a man in London's East End. She bears him two daughters  and finds herself, in her mid 30s, a prisoner of circumstance. Her husband is played by Indian comedian Satish Kaushik. Constrained by her role as a Muslim wife,she is trapped in what seems like a loveless marriage to an older man,in a city in which she is mostly invisible and whose inhabitants are as alien to her as she is to them. She eventually meets up with and embarks on an illicit affair with a younger man.
It was the events of September 11, 2001 which brought the biggest changes to her closeted world.
The advertising blurb says "A film that reminds you why you love movies". It was a pleasant movie, but for me, there was something missing and I can't explain what it was.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #652 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »
I watched the first two episodes of Dead Like Me, an HBO series that was cut after two seasons.  I am now downloading another 4 episodes cause I liked the first two so much.

« Reply #653 on: March 26, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
Finally got round to embarking on the huge mission that is watching the entirety of "24".  Watched episodes 1-8 of the first series on hukou or whatever its called before getting sick of the buffering and shit quality.  Downloaded 9-11 last night.  Watched them tonight.  Am totally hooked.  Got til tomorrow night til the rest of series 1 downloads.

Now I know why I've put it off so long.

This is the kind of television you can lose days and days in.  asasasasas agagagagag jjjjjjjjjj bibibibibi bfbfbfbfbf
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #654 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
I too was hooked on 24 when I was first introduced to it for Season 3.  I stayed with it till the end of 5 but got bored in 6, it just seemed to be the same old plot line.  Jack has only minutes to find some nuclear weapon that is going to blow up and obliterate chunks of the US and start a world war cause the nuclear device was planted by rogue terrorists ahahahahah

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #655 on: March 26, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »
Shame on you kcunuck. Now CD knows Jack is alive through season 6

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #656 on: March 26, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
 bibibibibi oops, never even thought about that...Jack is alive, but others aren't...is that enough suspense to keep him hanging on?  I did enjoy Jack but he just got old.  Now, if they would hurry up and continue The Shield I would be a happy camper indeed.

« Reply #657 on: March 26, 2008, 06:19:26 PM »
It's an american series.  I think it's pretty self evident that the key hero will survive all the way through.  Killing him off in, say series 4 would be very British.  It's rare for US shows to take that kind of gamble.  Exception of CSI which introduced who seemed like a key character in the first episode and then she died straight away!
It is too early to say.

« Reply #658 on: March 26, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »
Star Trek: Enterprise. I love the website I found for all these shows latest and not very new.  afafafafaf

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #659 on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:18 AM »
"Fearless" with Jeff Bridges and Isabella Rossellini.  Starts off slowly but gradually pulls you in.