Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1185 on: December 22, 2009, 02:43:29 AM »
The Tudors.  Excellent series, complex and well developed.

« Reply #1186 on: December 22, 2009, 04:05:07 AM »
To understand 'Australia' you must understand the director behind  it, Baz Lurhmann. All that stuff about bad cinematography etc- that is ALL his style. Watch Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Julie and Moulin Rouge. However, I think this was his 'wackiest' to date. But yeah, the script was baaaad, even I (an Aussie) never finished it.

LE- The Tudors- yeah, love it! Natalie Dorman (Anne) is STUNNING!

Me, I'm loving 30 Rock, totally digging this show! I also recently bought the entire 'Seinfeld' collection, so am getting into that while organising exam papers etc. Last night I also watched 'Julie and Julia' very nice, light film about a blogger who attempts to make all of Julia Childs 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' recipes in 1 year!

Saw 2012 the other day. Dreadful. That's 2 hours of my life I will never get back!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1187 on: December 22, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »
Just saw Avatar in 3D yesterday.

James Cameron doesn't let a pathetically predictable and cliched plot stand in the way of making a film that's well worth spending 2 hours and 40 minutes watching.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1188 on: December 22, 2009, 04:26:32 AM »
The more I watch The Tudors the more I enjoy it.  Intrigues; church vs state; the role of women (Mary being betrothed at 12!, Margaret and the the King of Portugal); politics; machinations; and music.  Seeing Henry as young rather than old, syphilitic and gross is interesting as well.

The British (OK - Irish!) are SOOOOO good at this!

I've already gone through one bottle of good red watching this, and am trying to make up my mind if I should open another.   Although maybe that belongs in the "I'm drunk" thread!  ahahahahah
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:32:43 AM by Lotus Eater »

harry_aus

• "woof!"
« Reply #1189 on: December 22, 2009, 05:01:09 AM »
Well I'm glad that I'm not the only Australian who
was disappointed with that weird creation that 'Baz' put together!
I bought the DVd when I was up in Wuxi. Wish I hadn't.
Baz seemed to get so confused - he starts off with a sort of
slapstick movie - then goes to a scenic, Lean-esque epic - to
a romance - and on to a war movie........bewildering!("Crikey"!)

Probably my biggest gripe was him bestowing the title "Australia" on it,
a pretentious attempt at implying that it was the definitive history of the nation or something.
And as for the indigenous people "singing" magic spells, well,  mmmmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:08:47 AM by harry_aus »

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1190 on: December 22, 2009, 05:09:41 AM »
LE - I love  akakakakak historical films. It doesn't mater to me if its fiction or non-fiction. I just love the costumes, setting and vernacular.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1191 on: December 22, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »
Although I get a bit miffed when they take liberties with time lines - eg Henry Fitzroy and Thomas Tallis.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1192 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »
rip brittany murphy

she was probably the best actress from america who was around my age, i proper liked her and she had serious talent

don't normally care about american actresses but she was a great actress who managed to express her sense of humour through her acting and managed to come across as a human in hollywood films

i am really gutted to be honest. 32 is way too young to die

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1193 on: December 30, 2009, 06:12:48 AM »
Just finished watching Anthony Hopkins in "Nixon".  Very interesting movie.  It would be really interesting to see what the students think of it.  Particularly the Mao meeting, nd all of the machinations of government and power.

« Reply #1194 on: December 30, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
I love "The Tudors" too....I even got some students who professed an interest in British history to watch it...later this week we're having a talk over some tea to discuss the historical inaccuracies...for example the death of Wolsey.

I want to watch the new Sherlock Holmes movie ananananan ananananan ananananan ananananan

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1195 on: December 30, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
Wolsey's suicide was dodgy - I've tried to find references even to rumours of it, but so far, nada.  Smeaton did have rumours about his torture.  The death of Henry Fitzroy was way too early as well - he was married before he died (Although that was pretty easy to do at a very young age!). 

They did ahve a bit of fun with time lines and drama.

After I finished the Tudors I had a look at the Cate Blanchette's 2 Elizabeths.  That was a good follow up.

« Reply #1196 on: December 31, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »
I just watched a very good film called Adam, its a film about Adam, a lonely man with Asperger's Syndrome. 

Also started to watch a new series called Men of a certain age.  Its quite funny and worth a look

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1197 on: January 06, 2010, 03:43:04 AM »
Finally watched 'Frida'.  Very well done.  Salma Hayek did a good job.  Geoffrey Rush as Trotsky was an interesting choice as well.

« Reply #1198 on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
Just watched the season finale of "Dr.Who"..."The End of Time"...That new chap has some pretty big sneakers to fill, because David Tennant was absolutely brilliant agagagagag agagagagag

Just so there is no confusion...I want to watch the Sherlock Holmes movie!!!!!! ananananan ananananan ananananan ananananan
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1199 on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »
World Without Thieves"  - produced by Feng Xiaogang - one of my favourite Chinese producers, a gorgeous movie, plus Andy Lau ... OMG!!   afafafafaf afafafafaf cheexyblonde :snoopytrage: