Hot Air Balloon

• 7 replies
Hot Air Balloon
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »
A terrible news story about a hot air balloon ride in Yangshuo. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8306919.stm

More disturbing for me and the missus is that we went on that exact trip just a few weeks ago. A very beautiful trip, that before reading this story i would of recommended it to everyone, now i'm not so sure.

Sorry my pictures do not really do it justice, breathtaking is the best word to describe it, but also as it turns out, pretty dangerous.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Re: Hot Air Balloon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
What's with the balloon in the trees?
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
Glad you  made it before the accident, Yokie.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
Fantastic view.  They will tighten up safety measures now, so it will be much safer!   ahahahahah

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:10 AM »
I'll guess they inflaed it on the oad  trees, once nearly full they add hot air, thus lifting it off the trees.
`not the type hot air behind the chooks eyes that prevent thinking...   mmmmmmmmmm

Glad you  made it before the accident, Yokie.
bibibibibi
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Monkey King

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:23:49 AM »
That's so sad.  I did this too in Yangshuo a couple of years ago, and felt the balloonists were a little cavalier about things at times. 

It was a totally amazing ride, but at one point our pilot got a little too low and we came close to a cliff face and brushed over some trees on the way up (they go up and down between the limestone outcrops).  That was scary enough.  It was still fantastic though.

When you land you have like steep mountain on one side, rice paddies on the other and traffic passing by underneath until the last second  - crazy stuff.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
This definitely looks like something the missus and I would love to try in some distant future when the kinks are worked out in the upgrades that are sure to come.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »
This definitely looks like something the missus and I would love to try in some distant future when the kinks are worked out in the upgrades that are sure to come.

Huh?  Kinks?  Upgrades?    I'm sure the above is already after the upgrades!
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten