I need to do a Hong Kong visa run, never done it before, suggestions?

• 39 replies

Rin

I always take the cheapest longest visa time so I get to spend more time in HK. It's my favourite place in the world. :) And for the slowest visa it takes 5 days I think. For the money you save when not getting expedited it almost covers the 4 nights stay at Chunking!

Where do you stay in Chungking? Or do you just pick anywhere? I'm doing the visa run this summer- usually I stay somewhere decent with the wife but this time I'm on me lonesome so am happy to grace the infamous Mansions.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
I haven't been back to HK for a couple of years now but when i went there regularly, there were only two places i'd consider staying at on Nathan road:

- Garden Hostel (the original) 3rd floor, Mirador.
- Traveller's Hostel, 16th floor, Chungking.

at the time, for 130 HKD, you could get your own private can of sardines with a bed/bathroom/shower. that's all i needed most of the time.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Ruth

at the time, for 130 HKD, you could get your own private can of sardines with a bed/bathroom/shower. that's all i needed most of the time.
I'm afraid those days are over. Last summer I refused to pay 250 for a single, going by what I'd paid in the past (150 at most, sometimes 100 on a slow night). After checking around, I found out that's the newest going rate and was apparently a bargain. One place quoted me 400 for a single - at the mansions!!!
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Rin

Where do you stay in Chungking? Or do you just pick anywhere? I'm doing the visa run this summer- usually I stay somewhere decent with the wife but this time I'm on me lonesome so am happy to grace the infamous Mansions.
http://www.chungking-mansions.hk/ I stay at Ocean guesthouse in block A Or Happy guesthouse in block B. Both are tiny, but pretty clean, not many roaches, have internet, if you ask for it, TV, AC, a fridge in the lobby for use and brilliant staff. Last year I paid 150 per night, but I block booked for 4 nights so got it cheaper.
Also Apple Hostel. My personal favourite :)
http://www.hostels.com/hostels/hong-kong/apple-hostel/30730
YMCA is a joke.. they quoted me 600 HK per night!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:05:01 AM by Rin »

Re: I need to do a Hong Kong visa run, never done it before, suggestions?
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
Decided to continue this thread, rather than start a new one.

We have a potential teacher (currently on a tourist visa) who wants to go to Hong Kong to get his Z visa.

As long as we get Hong Kong stipulated on the invitation letter, is he assured of being successful?

I have noted the very helpful info / link Xwarrior provided on page 2 of this thread.

I've also noted that it may be a good idea to have the medical check before the potential teacher goes to HK.

Is there some kind of quota for HK issued visas? Should a teacher get their appointment before even buying the ticket to HK?

Basically, has anything changed in the last 6 months or a year?

Our ex-FAO who still helps a lot with the visa / invitation letter stuff, is slightly skeptical whether a HK visa run is a viable option.

Monkey King

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
Some nationalities (Americans in particular it seems) are finding it very difficult to get visas in HK at the moment. Source: People moaning about it on Reddit China board recently (sorry I cannot find the specific thread to link you to).

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »

echinacities.com did an article about the recent changes to the visa situation (with particular info about the HK run);
http://news.echinacities.com/detail/8562-Updated-Guidelines-for-Obtaining-a-Chinese-Visa

Some extracts below relating to HK;

In August 2012, the government changed many of the rules for certain visa types available to foreigners living, studying and working in China. Not surprisingly—given the country's shared reaction to a certain incident—the biggest changes were made to the rules regarding the tourist (L) visa, meaning that the technical loophole of running to Hong Kong every 60 days was officially shut down by the government. However, whenever visa regulations change here, no one, not even the authorities it seems, are entirely clear on the exact guidelines of those changes for at least a few months. Now that the dust has settled, I recently went on visa fact-checking mission to my local Public Security Bureau, so the following information should be as up-to-date as possible (Nov 2012). Nevertheless, keep in mind that different rules and prices may apply to different countries; so be sure to double-check your country's current arrangement with China.

3) L visa in Hong Kong
Last but not least, is the notorious last-minute "Hong Kong visa run" to renew your L visa. Unfortunately, in what is likely an official response to the tide of foreigners working illegally in China on multiple-entry L visas, these visas are no longer available in Hong Kong for (most) expats. According to the Chinese Embassy in Hong Kong website: "Applicants without HK resident status can not apply for multi-entry-visa at our office, and they are required to provide their Chinese visa records during the submission" (http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/zgqz/hzsyjbtk/). What this means is that if you are not a Hong Kong resident, you may still be able to apply for a single-entry L visa in Hong Kong…provided your passport isn't littered with Chinese/Hong Kong entry/exit stamps.

2) Currently living in Mainland China and applying for a Z visa in Hong Kong?
Last but not least, if you're looking to get your Z visa in Hong Kong, it's still possible to do, however the process is now significantly more difficult. In addition to the previous application processes and requirements, currently, the only way to get a Z visa in Hong Kong is if you have a Foreign Expert Certificate document (外国专家证申请表 ) issued by the State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs (国家外国专家局) that says "Hong Kong" (香港) on it. The good news is that your employer is the one to apply for this certificate for you; the bad news is the government only issues a limited number of these certificates for Hong Kong each year. More bad news, expats with certain jobs (a chef for example) are unable to apply for a Foreign Expert Certificate (they apply for a Foreign Employment Permit). Consequently, these expats are currently unable to apply for a Z visa in Hong Kong and must instead do so back in their home country.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Some nationalities (Americans in particular it seems) are finding it very difficult to get visas in HK at the moment. Source: People moaning about it on Reddit China board recently (sorry I cannot find the specific thread to link you to).

Thanks MK and Papillon. Luckily (in more than ome way  uuuuuuuuuu) the teachers not American, so I guess we'll just send him off canary in a coalmine to HK, and if he encounters any problems; well, at least I'll be able to update the thread.

I do think folk need the health check before they go; a fact that is completely absent from the official list of requirements for the visa on the 2 main websites.

I don't know if schools usually get the FE certificate with the invitation letter. if so, no problem.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:14 AM »
Bumping this up ... Mr. Benn, was your teacher able to get his visa in Hong Kong? Just curious!