Things other expats do that drive you insane

• 241 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »
Yeah, I dunno. I don't want to focus on a bad experience I had. It was just surprising to be coming from a native English speaker because all the others from his country I'd met during prior travels had been the *most* laid back people in the hostel, etc.

I was supposed to room with this guy for two weeks (it turned into six) and when I was taken to the apartment he'd arrived in a few hours earlier, he refused to shake my hand and I got a very bad vibe. I should have trusted my instincts, but I actually couldn't believe my own feelings since it was the first time I'd ever felt hate directed at me. He verbally confirmed my first impression several times and I tried to blow it off. Denial, denial, denial.

Lesson learned: what people say is important.

Over the years in China, I met a few others from his land that obviously felt the same way about people like me, although I wasn't living with them. I've extrapolated from my experiences that this is a recurring proclivity for people in his country, so blah, blah, blah.

Let's just say that now I know, to some extent, how a Japanese might feel living in China.

What?

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
Re: Things other expats do that drive you insane
« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
Yeah, I dunno. ...

What?
The sequence of posts was interrupted by the page break. I was responding to the previous:

Have run into some commonwealthers who really, really hate USA merkins. Really hate me. No fun being on the receiving end of that.

The foreigner death stare.

Considering the high percentage of flakes, a bit disappointed that the liars have always been boring or malicious instead of occasionally entertaining. Lacking balance for some reason over here.

I found that EVERY foriegner I've every met eventually says something stupid and incredibly insulting towards EVERYBODY

My point was don't single out the Commonwealthers who hate Americans, nor vicy - versy