Freedom to celebrate??

• 21 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: Freedom to celebrate??
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Borderline isn't the problem. It is when they cross the border that I have issues with. Recent article in new scientist on the problem. Borderline means nearly. Some people are beyond the pale.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 03:53:55 PM »
That's basically what I stated - committing crimes against people with NO REMORSE.  No rehabilitation - just extinction. 

I would also make it legal for prostitutes to ply their trade, but would execute pimps who coerce women, men and young children into the profession.  It must be a matter of free choice with the right to say NO whenever the spirit moves them to say NO!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Mr Nobody

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 08:05:46 PM »
Yes, you mean Personality Disorders with a History of Violence, rather than simply Borderline Personality Disorders. There is a distinct difference.

I agree there, pretty much, with your statements.

Motzie

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »
I'm with those that agree these people should be allowed to celebrate....as long as they don't force their views on others!

I've had run ins with many church groups over not wanting to be a part of their little groups, and they always stutter (you know the ones that get you out of bed on a SUnday morning ONLY after you've had a huge night out) and mutter when I tell them I have the choice to read their little blurbs or not and as I like trees I'm not contributing to their killing by taking a piece/s of paper that I'll walk inside and throw away. Perhaps I shouldn't be so sarcastic, cos good on em for having strong beliefs and being true to them, but hitting the pavement to drum up membership??? Never has sat right with me :)...

oooohhh oops....sorry a bit off track there  bibibibibi

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 03:44:35 AM »
Oh, come on...religious festivals are fun. Especially Christian ones. Why, you may ask? Perhaps festivals is the wrong word to use. Sociable gatherings, rather. Ever been to a heavy-duty Calvinist gathering, with loads of sombre hymns and extremely serious people? Let me tell you, go to one of those and listen to a few sermons on how vice-ridden modern life is and how we have all strayed from the flock and we need to return to traditional virtues...blahblahblah...when you hit the bar afterwards and gulp down the first pint, beer has never tasted sweeter.
As for people pressing their convictions/opnions on you, either respond in a foreign language while gesticulating wildly with both hands or slap them with a rolled-up newspaper. People are, basically, like dogs. They like to sleep, eat and..well...you know...and if you hit them with a newspaper they go away. Dogs will sometimes responds by biting, people rarely do. Except if you hit someone like Jeffrey Dahmer, then he wiil probably bite and eat you. So don't hit homicidal cannibalistic maniacs and, to be sure, always enquire if people you meet belong to that category, as my mother used to tell me. Guess there was a reason I was not allowed to play with the other kids.
If you encounter a religious zealot who really tries to press the point, inform said individual that you alone possess the real truth, the only truth. Then proceed to dance around your victim, pointing a finger and chant "My truh is better than your truth, nananananana" and then run for it.
Sorry for the ranting. I am happy and thus I rant.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 09:01:12 AM »
I like Viking religious celebrations.

I am not kidding.

They are fun, all that chanting and drinking. I liked it so much that about ten years ago I was 'ordained' as a godi on a beach in Denmark on midsummers night.

It has a lot of good in it. And luckily with that kind of thing, no one is going to actually believe in any of those crazy gods.

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »
A buddy of mine used to throw a Throgsgaffen (sp?), a big feast around Halloween or thereabouts.  Fun.  I have no idea whatsoever of the significance of the festival, but I like to eat.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com