Jiangxi Vocational College of Finance and Economics0 A sad turn of events.

• 3 replies
OK this is important. I am leaving the original review up because I think it serves to emphasise the differences between now and then.

There really isn't anything on this school online but that is probably because they only have 3 FT's at present. Anyway they are planning on expanding so I thought this might be useful to people inside and outside of the site when things jobs start getting advertised.

Location The college is located a few minutes walk from the centre of Jiujiang and only a 2 minutes walk from one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever seen within city limits. Jiujiang is a small city (read tiny) so just because it is central don't expect a bustling metropolis.

University The university is quite small, under 20,000 students but a lot of effort has been made to make it quite attractive, there are beautiful little gardens and benches scattered throughout and lots of places to relax beneath trees during the hot summer months. Their are two teaching buildings that FT's use and we essentially get to pick which one to hold which class in. One is new with a computer screen and headphones on every desk, perfect for presentations or multimedia and the other is more traditional with a projector and computer but is much easier to move around and talk to the students. The newer one is heated though which makes it a favourite during winter!

Staff The staff have been incredibly friendly but the general rule is we do our thing and they do theirs. They don't interfere or supervise in any way and we are free to manage lessons as we feel fit. This is both a positive and a negative because it has encouraged laziness and slovenliness from FT's in the past, however this is only judged by other FT's the school is simply unaware.
The two teachers who look after us Hamlin (for living and wages etc) and Judy (Teaching and Schedules) are very very friendly and frequently ask us to dinner or send us messages checking on us. I genuinely consider them friends now.

Accomodation This was the part that shocked me the most when I arrived, I had been expecting the usual disappointment and had steeled myself for it but I was wrong, so very very wrong. The FT's are located on the 11th floor of a Hotel that sits in the centre of the campus. It literally takes me 5 minutes to get to all of my classes.
The hotel is clean and neat and has never been too noisy, I have had only one issue when a businessman accidently sent his..... ahem entertainment for the evening to the wrong room and I had to try and make her leave  aoaoaoaoao .

The flat was very dirty when I arrived but once it was cleaned it was great. I have a proper bathroom with a real cubicle shower that has all sorts of cool functions on it , including Sauna and being blasted from all angles by big nozzles! The two air conditioners keep the place toasty warm even during the winter. The kitchen I have been in twice but seems ok uuuuuuuuuu

Foreign Community Their is a great community of foreigners in Jiujiang and everyone knows everyone because there are only 30 or so foreigners who live in the city limits. We all congregate at a bar which is an 8 yuan taxi ride from my school. The community is on the whole great but it is essential you find it quickly because with only three FT's ( 2 of which are currently in their 40's and nicely settled) a twenty-something year old can go a bit crazy with boredom. bibibibibi

In conclusion this place is really good, not the liveliest but a great place to get acclimatised. Pay is good 4500 BA or 5500 MA and next term I will be working less than 14 hours a week.

I hope this helps someone or at least makes an interesting read  bjbjbjbjbj

THE NEW REVIEW

Any teachers how sign a contract now need to be aware of a few massive changes happening at this school which are also why I am leaving.

1. There is no English department- as of September 2011 there will be no English Dept. You will be teaching English to students who study Accounting, International Trade, Secretary Training (yes its real) and anything else the school can think of. This means you will not be teaching English majors but students who have NO intention of learning English and NO interest either.

2. You will be asked to do MANDATORY 7.30- 9.00 PM Classes. These classes will be for teachers, most of which are being forced to attend and have the same levels of interest as the students.

3. You are not allowed to do ANY private work and will be fined if caught and you will be. If caught again you lose your visa. They are deadly serious about this and are not taking a don't ask don't tell approach like most schools.

4. The FAO and his boss whilst friendly most of the time are perfectly willing to lie to you to get you to do what they want. They are not above petty blackmail either.

5. The School has even SUGGESTED (but not confirmed) that they have plans to start hiring out foreigners to local schools and kindergartens.

I am not telling you to avoid this school but go in with the facts, The wages are ok and always prompt and the accommodation is the best I have seen for FT's anywhere in China. But Be aware that things are changing here and not for the better.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:57:32 AM by memnoch87 »

It sounds like a good place Memnoch, thanks for sharing!  bfbfbfbfbf

could you give a few more details about the city/surrounding province etc? cos the job sounds good and I'm sure there will be people interested, just being in a small town may put people off.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Sure no problem.

The city is small and surrounded by countryside. The first thing I did was buy a bike and spent most of the weekends cycling around. If you cycle for an hour in any direction you are out in the countryside and its just fantastic. The people here are very foreigner friendly, or perhaps just surprised to see us. Constant attention can get irritating but its a small thing.

The city itself is beautiful, not the cleanest place in China but from what I have read not the dirtiest either and their are plenty of nice areas to relax by the lack and lots of temples to explore. Because we are on the banks of the Yangtze River we get lots of fresh fish and traveling to the North is a fun day trip.

This year a new fast train was opened to Nanchang, this costs 40 RMB and will take you to Nanchang in 45 minutes. From Nanchang you can get anywhere in China, from what I saw in Nanchang when I was there I would rather be in Jiujiang, the people here are far kinder.

There are a few bars and drinking holes but most them are the club-bar hybrids with too many tables to dance and too much noise to talk. There is really only one bar that we go to regularly which is Freedom Bar and you will find the majority of the Foreign Population visit this bar at least once over the weekend.

Like I said this place has been an excellent start to my life in China, the students and teachers have made me feel welcome and have taught me enough basic chinese to survive. I would recommend this place to anyone just starting out or someone wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of the big cities.