What's in the News

• 2873 replies

A-Train

Re: What's in the News
« Reply #1185 on: November 05, 2009, 05:49:34 AM »
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #1186 on: November 05, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Melbourne baby saved with experimental drug13:00 AEST Thu Nov 5 2009
By ninemsn staff

Baby Z pictured during treatment.
More national news: Police to quiz psych patient over deathsPatience needed for Oceanic Viking: RuddTax review 'likely to be 10-year plan'Postal worker hands in $100k parcelSam Ibrahim walks free on bailPolice probe Qld fisherman stabbingRudd backs Bligh over asset salesBorthwick to lead WA oil spill inquiryStabbed teen started fight, court toldGovt criticised for under-six curriculum
A last-ditch effort by a Melbourne doctor to save a dying baby has broken new ground in world medicine.

The little girl, identified as Baby Z, was born in May last year with the rare metabolic disorder known as molybdenum co-factor deficiency.

A high level of toxic sulphite in the infant's system caused the infant's brain to begin to dissolve.

She suffered seizures just 60 hours after birth and was given little hope of survival after being diagnosed with the fatal condition at the Monash Children's Hospital.

But determined doctors grasped onto a slim chance after scouring medical journals.

First biochemist Dr Rob Gianello discovered a research paper detailing an experimental drug called CPMP precursor Z, developed by German plant biologist Professor Gunther Schwarz.

He had successfully used the treatment on mice with the disease in 2004, but no human trials had taken place.

Monash research clinician Dr Alex Veldman and his team contacted Prof Schwarz in Cologne and, after being rubber stamped by the Southern Health BioEthics Panel, the little girl's treatment began.

Almost immediately, Baby Z's condition rapidly improved.

"It was really like awakening — it was just bang, and she was switched on," the Herald Sun reported Alex Veldman as saying.

The baby's level of alertness improved significantly within days.

Her head circumference, which remained static during her first six weeks, started to increase after cPMP substitution was commenced.

Baby Z was allowed to go home about four weeks into her treatment course and is now described as "delightful" by her amazed mother.

The medical long shot is already paying dividends overseas with news that a German baby is also undergoing the same treatment for an identical illness.

The four-week-old boy is also showing rapid improvement after being prescribed cPMP following the Melbourne success.

"This is a first life saving treatment for this fatal disease with global implications," Dr Veldman said.

"The team at Southern Health managed to get this therapy from bench to bedside in about two weeks, a process which normally takes several years."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/927292/melbourne-baby-saved-with-experimental-drug
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Ruth

« Reply #1187 on: November 05, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »
"The team at Southern Health managed to get this therapy from bench to bedside in about two weeks, a process which normally takes several years."
Good thing they let the experimental therapy take place.  From the sounds of it, that little girl didn't have a couple of years to wait for the bureaucratic approval process.  Nice to see that sometimes things work out.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Schnerby

« Reply #1188 on: November 06, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »
"Photo of naked woman in prostitution bust triggers rage"

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/photo-of-naked-woman-in-prostitute-bust-triggers-rage-20091105-hydl.html

A photo showing a plainclothes policeman pulling a naked woman by the hair during a prostitution bust in central China has caused outrage on the internet, where it has been widely circulated.

The photo was one of a series taken by local media covering a police raid on prostitution and gambling dens in Zhengzhou, capital of Henan province, said the official China Daily, which also published the controversial picture...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1189 on: November 08, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
Shrooms return to China

http://twurl.nl/fdfcly

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1190 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
China's Second Largest Lake Shrinking Fast

http://tinyurl.com/yfsc23n

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1191 on: November 08, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
Rebuilding in Sichuan, Wenchuan

Bricks That Fall Apart in Your Hands

(Chinese) http://tr.im/EtN3

(Emglish) http://tr.im/EtNa

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1192 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
Ummm.... not good.

China investigates 2 deaths after flu vaccinations (November 14, 2009, AP)
Two people in China who received swine flu vaccinations died in the past week but at least one death appears unrelated to the vaccine and the other was being investigated. The country's health ministry reported the deaths late Friday on its Web site - the first time China has announced deaths with potential links to the Chinese-made swine flu vaccine. An autopsy showed one victim suffered a heart attack and, "experts have basically ruled out the possibility that the patient's sudden death was the result of immediate allergic reactions to the flu vaccines," the ministry statement said. Experts were waiting for more lab results, it added. An autopsy on the second person was scheduled for late Friday, but no results had been reported Saturday morning.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1193 on: November 20, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
And this one is going to happen as well!!

No bars, no mistresses, Chinese officials warned (November 14, 2009, AP)
Chinese officials are being told to dump their mistresses, avoid hostess bars, and shun extravagances as part of the Communist party's efforts to clamp down on the corruption that is threatening its rule and sullying its reputation. The language of the new morality push, one of countless such campaigns informally under way, is surprisingly bold, often cutting through the bureaucratese to make a clear link between moral lassitude and corruption. One statistic trotted out at a recent speech to bureaucrats: 95 percent of officials investigated for corruption were found to be keeping mistresses.

IN Xi'an a couple of weeks ago the police raided the fancy hotels and the KTVs and arrested/kicked out all of the 'hostesses'.  Not sure how long the clamp down lasted though.  ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1194 on: November 20, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »
Also thought this one was interesting:

Washington Post: China is Changing Us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/13/AR2009111303151.html

« Reply #1195 on: November 20, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Random story from the American midwest.

I especially love the last line, "They escaped their containment ponds soon thereafter and have been swimming north since." Sounds like some bad sci-fi movie...

Asian carp may have breached barrier By Dan Egan , Milwaukee Journal Sentine

The decade-old battle to keep Asian carp out of the Great Lakes may be over.

New research shows the super-sized fish likely have made it past the $9 million electric fish barrier on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, a source familiar with the situation told the Journal Sentinel late Thursday.

The barrier is considered the last chance to stop the super-sized fish that can upend entire ecosystems, and recent environmental DNA tests showed that the carp had advanced to within a mile of the barrier.

That research backed the federal government into a desperate situation, because the barrier needs to be turned off within a couple of weeks for regular maintenance. The plan is to spend some $1.5 million to temporarily poison the canal so the maintenance work can be done.

But even as those plans are being finalized the news everyone dreaded came: It might be too late.

Now the only thing left standing between the fish and Lake Michigan is a heavily used navigational lock at Navy Pier.

Army Corps officials declined to comment on the situation.

"I am not prepared to discuss this today, but I will be prepared to discuss this tomorrow," Col. Vincent Quarles, commander of the Chicago District of the Army Corps Engineers, said when asked about news that the fish had breached the barrier.

The Army Corps, along with its state and federal partners in the barrier's design and operation, has scheduled a news conference for 10 a.m. Friday.

The fish that can grow to more than 50 pounds or more are a big deal because they are voracious feeders, overwhelming native species, and they pose a huge hazard to recreational boaters because of their habit of jumping out of the water when agitated by the whir of a boat motor.

No fish have been found, but a new type of DNA testing that can show the presence of fish in the water shows that the barrier does not appear to have worked at stopping all the fish.

"We've got some bad problems," Dan Thomas, president of the Great Lakes Sport Fishing Council, said when told the news.

Thomas said the plan to poison the canal is going to have to grow to cover areas above the barrier, which is about 20 miles downstream from the Lake Michigan shoreline.

"Unless we treat that canal real quick as far up as we can, then we can almost be assured that they're on their way into the lake," he said.

For several years, the northern migration of the silver carp, which can grow to 50 pounds, had stalled in a pool just above the Dresden Island Lock and Dam on the Des Plaines River southwest of Joliet, Ill. - about 20 miles downstream from the barrier.

In August the Journal Sentinel learned the environmental DNA testing that biologists had quietly begun using on the canal revealed that the fish had started to move again. It's been all hands on deck ever since.

In addition to plans to poison the river, the Army Corps is scrambling to build a twin to the new barrier. It also is looking at building an emergency berm to prevent the fish from riding floodwaters from the carp-infested Des Plaines River into the canal above the barrier.

The two species of Asian carp threatening to invade Lake Michigan are silver and bighead carp. It's not known which species - or whether both species - have been detected above the barrier with DNA tests.

Silver carp are considered the bigger threat to the economy, ecology and culture of the Great Lakes because of the penchant for leaping out of the water and injuring boaters.

Silver carp were imported to Arkansas in the 1960s where they were used in federally funded sewage treatment experiments.

They escaped their containment ponds soon thereafter and have been swimming north since.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1196 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
http://tr.im/FlSJ

What Chinese Waitresses Really Think About Foreign Clientele

Nov 14, 2009
By Mark Turner, www.eChinacities.comFont Size:

Favourite bars, and what took place in at them over the weekend, are two of the most popular topics for water-cooler banter in the work place amongst foreigners. Visiting bars is a favourite expat pastime and this is unlikely to change in the near future. One subject that is not heard so much around the water-cooler is the goings-on in bars from the perspectives of the people that work in them. In order to lend a voice to the more-often-than-not mute bartender, I decided to don my roving reporter hat, take up my pen and pad, and go find out what Beijing’s underpaid, sometimes harassed, and sometimes snooty bartenders and waitresses really think about the human zoo that is bar culture in China.

Having spoken to a handful of people, it seems that there is a great divide between the way Chinese bar clientele and their foreign counterparts approach bars; this is one of the things that fascinate bar staff the most. “As soon as Chinese people come into my bar, they try to find a comfortable place to sit down, and straight away they plan what they are going to order. They probably want to order a lot of drinks and some nuts or snacks… I want this, this and this, oh and six of those!” says Gladys, a waitress. Rather than identifying oneself as a person receiving to wait on, foreigners instead mostly head straight for the alcohol, like a herd of thirsty bison to a watering hole.

Many believe that despite this eagerness, foreigners are still more discriminating about what they drink. “Chinese people don’t care so much about quality; they are mostly impressed by price. Foreigners care more about quality.” Gladys went on to suggest that certain types of foreigners and nationalities even have particular favourites: ”In my bar French people like to drink rum and coke, British people like gin and tonic, and Americans always drink dirty martinis. It has to be dirty!” Whether these generalisations are like tequila – to be taken with a pinch of salt – remains to be seen. What we do know is there are certainly a lot of differences between the way people of different nationalities approach drinking and bars.

Mating rituals are also a source of much amusement to Chinese bar staff. “Sometimes a couple go to the toilets together... I don’t think that’s the cleanest place to be, doing that kind of thing, but I guess they are the ones that pay the money... They can do what they like as long as it doesn’t hurt anybody,” speculates Li Li, bartender at a popular Beijing bar. The way that the male of the species tries to attract a potential mate is also a subject under scrutiny. Chinese males tend to assume the hunter-gatherer role when in the bar: “Sometimes I feel like guys are trying to impress me by asking for the most expensive thing, or asking for lots of something. They don’t understand that they sometimes look really stuck up.”

Foreign guys also act in less than exemplary ways towards female bar-goers and staff; sometimes taking on an even more distasteful, predatory role after a few too many Tsingtaos. “I don’t like it when foreign men customers try to touch me or grab me when they are drunk. One time a regular followed me out of the bar after work and asked me to go back to his home. I kicked him and told him that I am a traditional Chinese girl. I thought that was very weird, because earlier in the night he showed me pictures of his wife and kids... People do strange things when they have drunk too much,” says Julia, another waitress.

There are discrepancies, also, in the other ways that Chinese and foreigners misbehave. Chinese misbehaviour tends to be a direct result of overindulgence, or misjudgment about the amount they can drink and remain sober; Westerners' misbehaviour is often more exhibitionism-related. “Chinese people often drink more than they should. Western people do more silly embarrassing things, like stand on the table, [and] take off all their clothes,” says James, a veteran bar manager.

James continued by saying that the entire meaning of bars is different for foreigners, as bar culture is a new thing to Chinese people. To many, he says, it's a novel way to spend money. For others, it is a way of gaining face, or pursuing an advantage in business circles. “Foreign people often like to dress very casual at my bar. Chinese people sometimes come wearing a suit; they want to impress the people they work with.”

As China’s bar scenes grow, it will be interesting to see how the drama of the human zoo unfolds. Will the culture of alcohol transcend national boundaries, leading to Chinese people adopting more Western attitudes toward drinking, or vice-versa? Until then, ganbei!

harry_aus

• "woof!"
« Reply #1197 on: November 21, 2009, 05:33:54 AM »
Australian Teacher jailed for Sex Offences

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26375776-421,00.html

Hey guys - you're in for a shock here - the offender
is a woman!     mmmmmmmmmm

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1198 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:35 AM »
Judging from the news reports, in the USA, female offenders of that sort are at least equal to male offenders, if not noticeably more common.  Of course, the larger percentage of teachers being female in the USA probably helps make that happen.

Still, male teachers are always the subject of suspicion.  When I taught elementary school, I was having a conversation with the principal in the hallway before class started.  While we were talking, she hugged a number of male and female students, as did several other female teachers within sight of us.  Then a 3rd grade girl came up from behind me and gave me a quick hug before I even noticed she was there.  As soon as the girl stepped away, I was warned to "Watch it" in a dire tone of voice.  The level of hypocrisy was truly amazing.

What makes this more offensive is that female teachers who do this almost inevitably get MUCH lighter sentences than male teachers.  Worse, I see almost zero press reports of non-teacher females being charged for having sex with underage males.  I'm guessing that if there's not a teacher and school board involved, the whole thing gets shoved under the rug.

So, as far as life in the USA goes, if a 24 year old male does anything with a 14 year old girl, it's a LOONG sentence in the slammer.  If a 24 year old female does anything with a 14 year old boy, virtually nothing happens - unless she's a teacher, in which case she loses her license and gets a very light sentence.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1199 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »
She's a 33 year old hottie.

What she did was obviously wrong, but that is an attractive woman

Begs the question - why? Kind of like why men rape or molest kids; WHY?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion