How to Use Music for Beginners?

• 3 replies

Ivyman

How to Use Music for Beginners?
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Obviously, music could be a great way to teach beginners.  But, I understand it needs to relate to the lessons, and be very focused.

Has anyone established any "home run" methods to really tie music into class, without feeling like a waste of time (like movies are seen as a waste of time)?

Opinions?  Websites? Etc.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: How to Use Music for Beginners?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:39:01 AM »
Frank Zappa's Over-Night Sensation.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:53:54 AM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

CWL

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
What are you trying to teach? 

• Pronunciation
    Syntax
    Reading
    Fluency / Automaticity (S & R)
    Academic Vocab
    Content

Music can have many uses in teaching.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 01:39:52 AM »
A nice little fun lesson for vocabulary, focus it on adjectives because then it seems useful

Start with presentation  'This music is heavy, this music is light, this is fast etc'. You can tie this in with music specific language points such as genre and instruments
This can be fun in itself since you can legitimately play your weirdest music to confound the students
then some exercises applying the language to reinforce the fact that adjectives are very flexible

The fun game. You put a bin or similar on a table and give them all bits of paper to make 'snowballs' and then you explain that you are going to play a song and they must choose 5 adjectives to describe it. they can have bonus points for genre, nationality etc etc
Then you play a song and they all have to get snowballs into the bin to play for points.
Make it difficult because they are good at this shit lol