Canucks fail test

• 85 replies

moon over parma

Re: Canucks fail test
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 03:57:06 AM »
Yeah well, I was once asked by some American tourists if we had Vikings in reservations.

Were they from South Carolina and were their sons on a ski trip to Canada in the summer?  ahahahahah

Aussies live off huge slabs of meat,

That's a new one. I never heard that.

and carry really big knives,

A knife is an improvement over someone saying boomerang  llllllllll

Stereotypes are funny, if they are meant to be funny, as is the example of the Simpson which is riddled with stereotypes.

If someone's an equal opportunity satirist then I'm fine with that. THE SIMPSONS are a good example of that. SOUTH PARK as well. Those are simply examples of a recent vintage. There are more out there.

Neo Nazi schmucks who propogate their not-so-funny and idiotic stereotypes via an illegal radio.

We have them on legal radio here. Their names are: Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.  bpbpbpbpbp
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:59:17 AM by moon over parma »

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 06:19:22 AM »
So Mr. Eagle, history teacher, sir - please tell me the correct answer for the Metis.  That question was not on the test I took, but I would have answered half French and half Native American.  That's what I learned in school.  Did their genetics change since I was a kid?

Eagle, I'm also curious to know how you did on the test, being recently departed from Canada and a history major/teacher. 

Well, M
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 06:39:17 AM »
An Editorial Moment

Let me begin by acknowledging the number of complaints I've received about this thread today. Thank you for your concern and your input.

All I can really do is the same thing I always do: Try And Do The Right Thing.
And it's a little cloudy in this case.

There was a blanket statement made in here...and like all blanket statements it's just wrong. Some Americans are fine with geography...I, for example, will gladly take you all  on in geography with one hand behind my back. uuuuuuuuuu
Anyway: we all preach this; but we must also practice it as well.

On the other hand, the little slip made did definitely NOT warrant the sudden dark and ugly turn this thread took. This is supposed to be a friendly community, remember? Those who want to remain a part of it need to behave in such a way as to preserve it.
We've had too many "sudden dark and ugly turns" on here lately.
I'm not going to tolerate another one.

This thread seems to have gotten itself back on track.
Please keep it that way.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 09:02:13 AM »
 Noted. Proceeding civilly.

As a Canadian myself I can tell you most Canadians I know couldn't find South Africa on a map...name the capitol of Australia...or the native language of Brazil.

Our entire national identity is based on comparing ourselves with the US in what I view as a very smug and ugly way. I am in no way proud of my country and this is one the biggest reasons.

I too grew up with the stereotype of "the ugly American" planted in my head by people who had never even been to America. Having since been to America numerous occasions (not to mention meeting many Americans in China) I now see this for the ignorant ugly predjudice that it was.

I don't intend to live in China forever but I also have no intention of returning to a country where Molson beer commercials are considered official displays of patriotism. To quote Graham Chapman in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"......"On second thought...let's not go there. It's a silly place."

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
I'm not sure what it means but I've found it interesting that when I meet people abroad most Americans I have met will introduce themselves by state while everyone else uses country.

Canada
Australia
Ireland
Florida

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »
I'm not sure what it means but I've found it interesting that when I meet people abroad most Americans I have met will introduce themselves by state while everyone else uses country.

Guilty as charged.  If my friends and students here were asked where I am from, they would reply with "Texas" not the U.S. or America.  It's the same with other American expats I know.  A lot of us, if not most, do introduce ourselves by state. 

I'm not sure what it means either. 

On the other hand, when I meet a person from Canada, China, Brazil, etc. I usually ask what part, or what city.  There is a big difference between Newfoundland, Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2007, 02:28:10 PM »
Perhaps we know that not everybody will know where Alberta or New South Wales is but You guys expect that everyone knows where Oregon is.

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »
Generally, I have found this true as well. I think it's amusing.

Maybe it's that we don't expect others to know the internals of our own country - or maybe because it's also pretty common for "Where are you from?" to be a difficult question.

Do you mean where was I born, where did I grow up or which place do I identify with as home or where did I last live? Different answers to each question - which I think is becoming more common in Western countries.

I often say Australia or Nancheng (the suburb I live in, in Dongguan) without trying to be difficult, until I know if it's a real question or just a conversation filler.

I really don't expect many people to know Mooloolaba on Queensland's Sunshine Coast (although many would like to if they knew what a beautiful spot it is!)
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

BamBam

• The Learning Tunnel
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »
Point taken, Stil.  
Those that think they can, and those that think they can\'t are both right.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »

I really don't expect many people to know Mooloolaba

Got some of that on the bottom of my shoe just yesterday.

moon over parma

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2007, 05:28:27 PM »
Perhaps we know that not everybody will know where Alberta or New South Wales is but You guys expect that everyone knows where Oregon is.

Inversely, it could be that we aren't so wrapped up in nationalism as to have to specify country. We are nationals by birth, but the U. S., like Canada, Africa, Russia, Australia and China - is large, and very few statesa re alike in their character. We are also indoctrinated in the belief of individualism. While conformity tends to rule the rooos,t there is still the veneer of individualism.

Texas is a great example. A lot of Texans I've met explained the whole "republic of Texas"  phenomenon.

Look at our flags. The U. S. has a star for every state. Few flags go so far as to point out every little nook and cranny in its political fibre. Psychologicall ya lot coudl be read into that. historically, the basis is a bit different. It was about different colonies joining together against a single kingdm to form a nation, and the trend continued on.

Canada has a singular Maple Leaf. Even in the most base symbolism there's a dichotomy.

However, to read into people mentioned into state they are from is reading way too much into things.  It is not withotu irony that I've heard similar queeries into why Americans mention state above country from Canadians, but that begs the question why so many Canadians feel the need to wear flags out of possible fear htey might be considered anything but Canadian, and despite what abysmal or progressive state the U. S. could be in, few feel the need to go abroad and wear their flag? Perhaps, for Americans, it's the reality that the only political voice we have isl ocally, and what transpires nationally isnt' really as true a reflection as the changes we can make - and hte power we have - locally?

Out of the myriad of nationalities I've met in my travels abroad, the predeominantly alrge number of people who feel the need to wave their flag - rather offensively, in my opinion - outside of hteir soil tend to be Canadians. Of all the Irishmen and Kiwis I've ever met - maybe a hundred - not a single one wore their flags on backpacks and jackets, and when it came to t-shirts it was only sporting ones. I can only recall one Australian who displayed their flag - and that was on a keychain. Only one - out of more than I can count. Americans: not a single one. This ddates back to the golden era of Clinton's international policies. South Africans? The flags were kept at home, not shoved out for the world to see. Sometimes they'd have rugby jersies with the flag. More often than not it was something with a Springbok - than the flag - that was displayed. An animal, not a flag.

No, my experiences throughout Asia and in parts of Europe - the only nationality where flags were flaunted with abandon were Canadian. I wondered why.

Pride? Excessive pride can be vanity.

Inversely, the only tiems I was ever discriminated against because of my nationality - in a hostile fashion - were by South Koreans and Canadians living abroad.

Meanwhile, in the many times I've been in Canada proper, I had a great time and was very comfortable and the jingoism was not apparent - and the flag waving made sense. I was in Canada. I never had to endure lectures or ridicule simply because I was born in a certain country. It only happened when I was abroad. bibibibibi

I'm still struggling to make sense of this strange phenomenon.

As for states - Stil, you're reading way too much into it. That's my take.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:20:36 PM by moon over parma »

moon over parma

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
Maybe it's that we don't expect others to know the internals of our own country - or maybe because it's also pretty common for "Where are you from?" to be a difficult question.

Do you mean where was I born, where did I grow up or which place do I identify with as home or where did I last live? Different answers to each question - which I think is becoming more common in Western countries.

If I hear a variation of the North American accent(s) and am asked where I'm from, I answer "My mome and dad." Really. Judge me for who I am, not because of where I come from.

I never had to do that until I spent time in Korea and had to endure personal insults and outright discrimination and hostility from many Koreans and many - not all, but frankly from many Canadians. I'm talking 1:3 odds that jingoism would rear its head. In Canada - never. not once.

Some people would ask where I was from and after I'd tell them, honestly; after that I'd get more questions that felt like they wanted to gage my own personality, but not outright hostility. In Taiwan, the hostility coming from many Canadians I met was still there. In Japan it was the same.

I appreciate the life lesson, though. Where I come from doesn't matter in the end because it's where I'm at, at any time and place that is important.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 05:38:36 PM by moon over parma »

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2007, 05:54:28 PM »

If I hear a variation of the North American accent(s) and am asked where I'm from, I answer "My mome and dad." Really. Judge me for who I am, not because of where I come from.

I appreciate the life lesson, though. Where I come from doesn't matter in the end because it's where I'm at, at any time and place that is important.

I try that approach here but it's both a losing battle and a concept beyond the ability of most Chinese to understand. And to be fair when I meet a fellow foreigner I usually ask where they're from. It's just making conversation...not an attempt to pass summary judgement on somebody based on their nationality.

moon over parma

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »
And to be fair when I meet a fellow foreigner I usually ask where they're from. It's just making conversation...not an attempt to pass summary judgement on somebody based on their nationality.

Yeah, and usually if people get the humor in my token answer (i. e. "my mom and my dad,") it's a good indicator that such an individual proably isn't too concerned. What bothered/bothers me more than what I've experienced from the Koreans who held my place of birth against me than the Canadians is that many of the discriminating Koreans weren't lecturing me on how their nation was accepting of others and was not forcing world policy. It was something deeper. Something historical. Confused and often inaccurate and unfair, but there was a basis for it. However, the hostility I received from Canadians had no foundation in actual war or cutlural wars. It was also completely one-sided.

Unlike some people, I know from personal experiences that the bad apples don't represent the bunch. I'm just confused why there is a predominently high number of Canadian jingoists traveling abroad. In America, the insecure flag wavers generally seem happy to not leave the county.

Is there any light that could be shed on why - from my personal experiences - it seems to be the exact opposite with some Canadians?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:46:42 PM by moon over parma »

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
One of the reasons Canadians display their flags on their backpacks (and this is said without any intent to offend Americans) is so that we are not mistaken as being from the U.S. when travelling abroad.  I have read this little tidbit of advice travel more than once.  It appears that there are some international destinations that may be less fond of the United States than others.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:34:39 PM by kcanuck »
I am still learning. Michelangelo