Aiyis for babies?

• 23 replies
Aiyis for babies?
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
More likely than not I'll be moving back to China in early 2013. The baby will be about 16 months old. I'm hoping to get an aiyi who will cook, clean, and help care for the baby. Any ideas on how much this would run me?

Here in Korea, I'd be paying about $1000 usd for 40 hours a week for a Filipina nanny / maid / cook.

Also, any tips on raising a foreign baby in China?

I've lived abroad for 10 years. Baby born in Korea. Doesn't look too foreign except she has a small head and big eyes and a big nose :) Or so I've been told.
Hoping to move to Suzhou early 2013.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Aiyis for babies?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
I don't remember how much I paid for ayis who will care for babies, but I do remember they were NOT cheap...MUCH more than a basic ayi.

I fear that being a single parent in China will be very difficult...even more than at home. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »
But she'll be 16 months, not a baby then. NOt sure if I'll be a single mom. If I were, it'd only be for 8 months or so. I have no idea what it's like to be a single parent in the US either. I left when I was 19. I don't even know what it's like to have a "real job" :)

BrandeX

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »
My 3 and a half year old who is still being bottle fed infant formula would disagree with the age that people are considered babies in China.

(/facepalm)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
welcome back Nature Girl... it's been a long long time!

Where will you be moving to in China? Beijing/Shanghai are of course a bit pricier than other cities. in Beijing, live-in full time ayis run a couple of 1000 rmb for the good ones.
There's a whole network/mailing list of people that trade ayi advice here.

I have a friend in shijiazhuang who has a full time cooking/babysitting ayi and he pays her about 1000rmb/month plus room&board.

your mileage will vary..

maybe Local Dialect can give better advice.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
I think she's looking at Suzhou?...which is not much cheaper than Shanghai or Beijing...
Mileage from Shijiazhuang will vary a LOT! aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
welcome back Nature Girl... it's been a long long time!

Where will you be moving to in China? Beijing/Shanghai are of course a bit pricier than other cities. in Beijing, live-in full time ayis run a couple of 1000 rmb for the good ones.
There's a whole network/mailing list of people that trade ayi advice here.

I have a friend in shijiazhuang who has a full time cooking/babysitting ayi and he pays her about 1000rmb/month plus room&board.

your mileage will vary..

maybe Local Dialect can give better advice.

Long, long time. I'll be in Suzhou INdustrial Park. 1000 rmb sounds good. Nice to see you again Nolefan!

NATO

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
My girlfriend's boss has a live-in ayi in Ningbo. She works six days a week and their baby is 8-9months old. She costs 6000rmb p/m, I'll let you do the conversion to dollars.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
My girlfriend's boss has a live-in ayi in Ningbo. She works six days a week and their baby is 8-9months old. She costs 6000rmb p/m, I'll let you do the conversion to dollars.

Don't want live in. And only 5 days a week. So between 1000 and 6000 rmb. That's a big difference.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Well, Naturegirl, bear in mind you are a laowai and therefore subject to somewhat inflated prices...remember, we are all eccentric millionaires who teach in China for fun. Thus, the price for an ayi will be rather different for you than it is for a local.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »
Well, Naturegirl, bear in mind you are a laowai and therefore subject to somewhat inflated prices...remember, we are all eccentric millionaires who teach in China for fun. Thus, the price for an ayi will be rather different for you than it is for a local.

I know. I can't believe I forgot that. I'm hoping that someone at the uni will have a relative who needs a job.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:14 AM »
I guarantee that when you get to your uni there will be a fleet of ayis at your disposal, if it's anything like the (very similar) place I work at.

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »
I guarantee that when you get to your uni there will be a fleet of ayis at your disposal, if it's anything like the (very similar) place I work at.

I sure hope so. After all, I've got a gorgeous baby with a small head, big eyes, and a big nose who already smiles at all the old KOrean ladies here. And answers to just about anything, like Stinky Baby, Piggy Piggy, and My Pig. I think she thinks her name is Stinky Poopy Baby  afafafafaf. I can see that might be a problem in the future.  bibibibibi

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
In Beijing the average price is between 2000-4000RMB a month, give or take. Expats tend to overpay, Chinese employers are not as generous. You don't have to pay the inflated laowai price though, just be firm.

There are plenty of agencies (marketed to locals) in every city that have loads of ayis. Sometimes that is actually a better way to get a cheaper ayi, plus they sign contracts with their agency so usually they won't just take off at moment's notice and if they do the agency will send someone new. Their prices are targetting locals so if you tell them you don't want to pay more than X they will usually stick to that. There are also ayi agencies that specialize in ayis for foreigners that cost an arm and a leg so beware of that.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 03:41:32 AM »
So then I'm hoping about 2000 would cover it for Suzhou.

Thanks for the tip about the agencies.