What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??

• 1187 replies

AMonk

Re: What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
Loved his "My Little Ding-A-Ling"....had the anti-obsecnity crew out in full during my (school afafafafaf) time in Blighty.
Moderation....in most things...

Acjade

« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
The Irish Tenors. Celtic and a little bit cheesy, actually.

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2008, 06:53:04 AM »
The album - finally - by the Gutter Twins, Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan, two of hte best singers of the last 15 years.  Fantastic.

Also new solo album by Stephen Malkmus of pavement.

I keep trying to get into new bands and all the people I loved listening to in my teens keep popping up with great new stuff. asasasasas ahahahahah agagagagag
It is too early to say.

« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2008, 07:00:38 AM »
Mark Knopfler's "Kill to get Crimson". That man is bloody amazing. Must admit I like his solo stuff much more than Dire Straits.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »
"Local God" by Everclear. A first-rate rocker. And a pretty good anthem for the bohemian expat experience in China...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Sufjan Stevens, Nitin Sawhney (Buddha Bar).  Cool music.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:22 AM »
Amos Lee, he's amazing, soul,blues,jazzy kinda stuff...found him on a soundtrack to a movie with Norah Jones called My Blueberry Nights...chick flick but lots of cool music.  Anyway, Amos is quite amazing, I've liked every song on the CD, doesn't happen very often.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »
The Decemberists. Good alternative rock band.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2008, 04:46:36 AM »
Found this link on Random Messages:  http://www.riptidemusic.com/  I'm listening to a band called Five Times August, and liking it so far.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2008, 05:03:58 AM »
Great Thread!!! I am a music junkie and as a going away present from work got a $50 gift certificate for HMV. Just bought the special edition of the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. I love David Bryne's vocals. And going back and forth between that and the soundtrack to Once, which is frickin' amazing. I'm bringing a lot of music with me, so Con you're in luck!
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »

I'm on a big big big country music kick at the moment! just can't seem to get enough of it right now... top 5 artists in my playlist over the past week are:
Hank Williams Jr.
Garth Brooks
Loretta Lynn
Gretchen Wilson
Merle Haggard

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »

I'm on a big big big country music kick at the moment! just can't seem to get enough of it right now... top 5 artists in my playlist over the past week are:
Hank Williams Jr.
Garth Brooks
Loretta Lynn
Gretchen Wilson
Merle Haggard

Nole, do you like rockabilly? I have a ton of it. Lots of local bands from Canada and Japan. I love Hank Williams. For something older with twang is Wanda Jackson. She comes from a country background but is the Queen of Rockabilly.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:05:58 PM by Nolefan »
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
I spent many months working the midnight shift at a country radio station up north...can't tell you how many inebriated souls called in the wee hours wanting to hear some Merle.

I love the older Willie Nelson stuff and Johnny Cash's Americana series released in his later years.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
Someone recommended this to me on Random Messages: Atomic Love - Beatsteaks - Smack Smash
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »
Last night downloaded Tricky's "Pre Millennium Tension".  What a cracking old album which I had kind of forgotten.
It is too early to say.