First Decision Primary School in Kunming, Yunnan

• 5 replies
First Decision Primary School in Kunming, Yunnan
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
Hi! I've gone through the interview process and received an employment offer from First Decision Primary School, an international elementary school in Kunming, Yunnan. I was decently impressed in my interview. They offer a competitive salary and it is a western run school.

I've done my requisite googling and haven't found much except for a couple of news articles about the company that runs the school. I figured I'd give it a shot and see if anyone here knows anything?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Re: First Decision Primary School in Kunming, Yunnan
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
I think they are a relatively new school, and not a "true" international school, but a private school for rich Chinese (and foreign, but mostly Chinese families) who for whatever reason can't go to top public schools. True international schools require kids to have foreign passports to attend once they hit the age for compulsory education.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but schools like this can be sort of poorly run, particularly when they are new. I'll ask friends for specifics about this school. I did talk to someone from there once, but when I was looking for a school for my own kids so not the same thing.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »
Good to know, thanks! I wasn't quite sure whether to call it an international school or not (their students are all Chinese or Japanese), but they are basically a dual-language school teaching in English and Mandarin. I, obviously, would be teaching on the English side. ;)

Any info you could offer up would be helpful. I think I might be willing to take the risk since it seems like there are going to be administrative problems anywhere. The school purports to use a western curriculum and western-style teaching methods, so at least there's slightly less of a learning curve there.

They're also willing to pay for my visa costs, with the exception of the medical, so that's nice.

Thanks again for all your help, TLD! I really appreciate it. :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do....Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
I asked my ever so helpful friend in Kunming and he said he's never heard of it, but he's sure it is better than Last Indecision Primary School. :D

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
 bkbkbkbkbk axaxaxaxax
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
Haha, thanks! Well I think I'm going to go for it. I'll keep you all updated.
- Mark Twain