Beijing vs Shanghai! Plus English Training Mills

• 19 replies

Hannah

• Hi! I'm new. :)
Re: Beijing vs Shanghai! Plus English Training Mills
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
@The Local Dialect~

That is great info- It's so hard to know really how much money you'll actually be making when you compare it to when you don't know how much things actually are going to cost! That is good to know.

I haven't heard back from the school yet- it will be interesting to hear their response! whew. I'm so glad I posted. With my luck I'd have ended up in jail overseas. :O
<3 Hannah

BrandeX

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
I never responded back from my original post, but the reason I suggested someone besides SH and BJ is they are the places "crackdowns" against illegal foreigners (which you will be if you are working here w/o a degree and work permit) most likely happen.

Paul

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
Wasn't there some way, some work around, whereby training schools could still get 'alien work permits' for people that didn't qualify as 'foreign experts'?  I'm sure I read something about that...not sure if it was on the shady side of things or not.

Yes, they can.  I know of a school that does this.  But it's not because their teachers don't qualify as experts, it's because they don't have a proper licence. It's seriously shady... 

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
it's because they don't have a proper licence. It's seriously shady...

This means it remains an illegal situation and not one anyone wants to be in! kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
I'll leave the money issues to others to deliberate upon; however, I've been to Beijing twice in my life, and will not be back. It's one of the most polluted cities in China and suffocating in the summer. Shanghai, on the other hand, with the breezes of the East China Sea, is a far, far better choice, and not only in terms of the environment. It is one of the grand old cities of the eastern world and a pleasure to shop, eat and play within. Cheers. Caley
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina