Owen Buckland?

• 8 replies

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Owen Buckland?
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

Has anyone had dealings with Owen Buckland?
I've heard good and bad things about him.
http://www.bucklandgroup.org/sub/profile.htm
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=518171215

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Owen Buckland?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
How did this ever get posted and not responded to? mmmmmmmmmm

Based on reputation alone, I have to recommend giving this one a miss. There have been near-continuous complaints voiced about this person and his company for longer than I've been involved with China and the teaching game here. They can't ALL be "lies"...indeed, some have come face-to-face from people I've known personally.

This name is often heard alongside those of others like Frank Zhang and James Ma, in the lists of the most notorious names in the business.

I can't recommend this company to anyone.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Jimi02

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
I made an application with them a while back and they seemed interested, but then suddenly went incommunicato.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
I've heard of people getting burned because they naively came to China on an L visa. I don't think he has the ability to get Z visas. I'm not sure,  mmmmmmmmmm  but this is what I have gathered from my research. Although, I may be wrong.  Can anyone here verify this?

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »
I've heard from someone else who got burned by Buckland.  He's got a website, for those of you who want to check out his list of complaints.

http://bucklandnightmare.webs.com/

All of which goes to re-inforce the Saloon's stance that Recruiters Are Poison-to-be-Avoided.
Moderation....in most things...

CWL

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:22 AM »
LOL!

I put up a web-site concerning a school in Korea.

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 02:35:02 AM »
This fellow is p!$$ed to the max.  He wants Buckland to suffer.
Moderation....in most things...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
Yes he can get z-visas. The Buckland group does a lot of placings in Hunan and I've known quite a few teachers that have gone through them. Although I've never used a recruiter, I've met Owen several times. Charming and shady as F$%6K. Used car salesman like.

However, all of the actual FT I've met that signed with him, were happy with Buckland.

I'm not advocating using them or any other recruiter but some of these complaints by this guy are a little ....

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
That's China!

You either gotta change jobs, find a way to get it fixed, or figure a way of looking at it/dealing with it that is satisfactory.