Poll

How do you feel about using strong/vulgar language in Saloon posts?

Doesn't bother me; cuss all ya want
35 (71.4%)
I find it offensive and I'd rather not see it here
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Cussin' in da Saloon

• 73 replies

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
Re: Cussin' in da Saloon
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2009, 04:57:09 AM »
I'm not pushing my luck. I have been here for a long time and the quality of threads and the language has been going down.

That is both an opinion and a moral assessment that some members might not share.

I know a few people who stopped even reading because of that. And I personally have very little desire to read or post.

That's sad. It's too bad. However, in the end it is also a personal choice. It is one you are choosing to make. Nobody has forced anyone's hand here. Is it so hard to ignore words that are not used in an aggressive, epithet, personally attacking manner? Really. I ask in all seriousness. Are people so sensitive that we have to police ourselves over every single, intangible thing that happens to crack the unpredictable nerves of a clear, relative few? Are we going to have to walk upon egg shells over any perceived slight because of the fickle nature of a few who are demanding that an entire forum live up to their demands or they threaten to leave? Isn't that little more than a very roundabout way of saying, "you don't play the game my way so I'm taking my ball and going home," mentality.

Perhaps proving an individual is above perceived ills would best be put into action by learning how to ignore, learning to contact perceived offenders directly, and trying to talk things out? Mods here are incredibly fair and there's always a line of communication to them. I certainly have experienced this. So, how is it that you cannot address the members directly in private message and hash things out if things are as bad as you perceive. Maybe speaking up in public than complaining to moderators will remind some people who are not here to offend you that, hey: they are offending you.

Unless I've missed something, no one has forced any member to leave. Not one member has publicly gone out of their way to harass another member, liable them, or belittle them in very personal, very private ways. Outside of two instances where the moderators quickly stepped in and restored order, I am curious where this "hostility" is prevalent. Is it the "b. s. wrestling pit?" It is called the "b. s. WRESTLING pit," for a reason. Without providing very clear and specific examples, then it's hard to follow your criteria of things, "going down."

Anyway, I am still posting about it because I care. I have great friends here and I hope for this place to be pleasant for anyone who lurks or posts.

I agree. I fear members will be scared away because a vocal minority are incapable of doing the mature thing and ignoring those sparsely used words that offend them. I wonder if potential members are turned off because they are looking for a place to have productive, mature discourse and dialog that is totally absent from the cafe. There is indeed such a thing as mutual respect, however, making veiled ultimatums implying your absence is because people were using words you disagreed with is placing your feelings as the bar which we must live under when we post anything.

Fluff threads that go on and provide no social value could scare away members. Should we not have them? I think there is a great deal of warmth and a great deal of room here for the saloon to continue providing a viable alternative to the greasy spoon. Because some people flat out refuse to ignore sporadic, tasteful cussing we must then bend to their whim?

I think addressing hostility deserves another post because, though it can be connected to cursing in a valid argument, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of it here associated with cussing. Is it that any debate is perceived as hostility by you? If so, then maybe I can see your point of view, though I think it says less about the state of these forums than it does about an individual's perception.

Is it possible that you are reading hostility into things that are not actually posted with hostility? That happens when there is an inability to see the body language or hear the words spoken.

Is it possible that you do not personally know new members here like I am guessing you know old members here, and because of this, you  are reading way too much into new voices? if so, perhaps that ties into an inability to accept gradual changes in the public mores.

It's shame that members feel they are being "driven" away, but membership is growing, loads of useful information is flowing,  and there is a refreshingly honest candor and maturity on this board that has made it haven in a land where there are times when individuals need respite from the brain police. Working in a land where there are citizens with overly sensitive, fragile egos, ready to take offense at the perceived slight upon their culture or nation - despite an actual slight not existing - can be bad enough, but to have this forum transmogrified into a virtual mirror of the society we are working in: well, that's not a saloon. It's a church.

In the end, a decision to leave is up to the individual. To each their own. It'd be a loss if you left, but it appears that this is a situation where people who are not getting their way are threatening an exit rather than bringing a community together. It comes off more like a threat than an actual sign of community.

It'd be a shame to see you go, but in the end it's a decision you make for yourself and your own best interests. I think George is onto something when he sees a microcosmic shift in saloon atmosphere based upon a dearth of new members, meaning new personalities. A pinch of Darwin applies here: adapt, Cheeky and not only will you survive, but you will thrive. No one is asking you to change your words or expression. No one is forcing you to do that. It's just incredibly sad that you feel like you'd rather walk away than rise above perceived offenses and continue posting so that you can keep the qualities you apparently love about the saloon viable, valid and perhaps even profligate the bad mojo you see as having altered the saloon experience for you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:59:08 AM by Spaghetti »
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:50 AM »
As I write this, the vote stands at 26 to 11.  Some are not only interpreting this as not only a simple repudiation of censorship, but accusing the 11 members of attempting to control everyone else.  I suggest that isn't very accurate.

The issue is posed here in the poll as a simple Yes or No question, and one of the options encompasses a broader spectrum of answers than the other.

Doesn't bother me; cuss all you want
vs.
I find it offensive and I'd rather not see it here {/quote]

Given a binary vote, one side or the other, the former position, by its very wording, captures all the intermediate positions.  That made it a certainly that most would vote that way- the passionate free speech types, the unconcerned and the middle path types find coalition in its mellow tone.  I find the fact that the immoderate, blunt wording of the latter statement garnered 30 percent of the total votes... significant.  And I for one do not conclude that the other 70 percent were telling them that they're blowing smoke.  Some of them were, to be sure, but just by reading the variety of comments it's clear that the 26 voted that way for a variety of reasons.

Put it this way: when you go to a bar you expect to hear stronger and saltier language; in itself this doesn't cause concern.  But if the talk is getting more aggressive, rowdy past a certain, hard to define point, the atmosphere of the place gets rougher, and if it continues the patronage tends to turn into a sausage party.  We've all seen it.

Has that happened here?  I cant say- I've been too busy to show up as often.  I can only say there are some things guys say in the locker room that they don't say in mixed company.  There are also some things people in general say in smaller circles than they do in larger ones.

This poll, IMHO, was a good start: we're all talking about it, which is healthy.  But it's time to separate 2 issues that are tangled together:

1. Should folks have to censor themselves and water down what they say?

2. Is the tone of voice at the Saloon starting to give off an aggressive vibe?

The second question, which a lot of people feel to be the case, and risked being characterized as controlling Tipper Gore types to express, makes me nervous.  Is there an obnoxious and/or intimidating atmosphere coming about?

We all have to seriously contemplate both questions.  I don't believe any of us want to muzzle other folks, and at the same time I also don't think that anyone wants to make others uncomfortable.

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2009, 06:50:31 AM »

The second question, which a lot of people feel to be the case, and risked being characterized as controlling Tipper Gore types to express, makes me nervous.  Is there an obnoxious and/or intimidating atmosphere coming about?

We all have to seriously contemplate both questions.  I don't believe any of us want to muzzle other folks, and at the same time I also don't think that anyone wants to make others uncomfortable.

Back in the olden days, when I was working for Gov't we had loads of 'sensitivity' training.  But one of the interesting things about it was in one group discussion, one of the fellas stated that he wouldn't want the female members of his family working in his work place because of the lack of sensitivity the majority of workers (male) had towards women, the language they used around them, and the jokes etc. He stated that he too did NOT like this, but in an all bloke environment, put up with it, and occasionally joined in to make himself part of the 'gang'.  There was peer pressure.

I would guess that I would be seen as one of the most vociferously vocal members of this forum - and have been frequently chided for my disagreements and strong presentations of my disagreements.   From MY POINT OF VIEW  I have been presenting my ideas strongly, with research and logic.  Others have seen this as bullying, nasty, pompous and a whole host of other negative descriptions.  But I have NEVER personally attacked another forum member, I have expressed my frustration with actions, but my strongest 'bad ' word has been 'pissed off'. 

My beliefs about my posts are that they have been respectful of the person even if I have found the ideas to be... dodgy!  ahahahahah  I have often suggested that those who do not agree with me, do not want to see disagreement, NOT read those threads.  But this seems to be impossible to ask.  So, when we look at the bad language issue - are we really talking about respect for the readers?   Given the hassles I frequently get into  ananananan ananananan ananananan  it is clear that in general people do not leave a thread alone, despite annoyance, frustration etc etc.,  they skip in to pick at the scar, and then complain.

So if we are to respect others feelings by censoring presentation of/or not discussing certain ideas - how hard is it to respect others feeling by not using certain words???  In this aspect we have a million other ways of expressing anger, frustration blah blah blah. No-one is telling us that we cannot FEEL, just asking us to present our feelings with respect to the sensitivities of others. 

I go back to this is a community.  If we all bailed out, there would be nothing left; forget the great techie mechanisms - this is still driven by the PEOPLE on it, the members joining, wanting to share and contribute, wanting to be part of this particular community.  We left Dave's for a reason.  And if we come down to it, the reason most of us left Dave's was lack of respect for the individual.

This is a question of respect for sensitivities.  Doesn't matter if it stems from race, ethnicity, religion, friendship, whatever.  If we can still tell people how we feel without bad language - why not use the alternatives??  And here we are ONLY talking feelings - not ideas, not beliefs, so we are nowhere near censorship.

Aggression is seen in the negative responses to mistakes, the sarcasm, and in general lack of respect for individuals.   Invective just adds to the negative whole.

Respect - for each other.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:30:16 AM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »
Ai!  So complex.  Is anyone else feeling, like, 14 years old?  Do people seriously have these debates any more?

A more mature topic will be:

If I am to be responsible for the well-being of other people, how best will this be expressed?

And if you do put it like that, you will--absolutely, positively will--discover that different kinds of people value different kinds of expression.  EXPRESSION!  Expression being positive, and suppression being... well, nothing. 

Respect might well incline one to close one's mouth sometimes, but that for shit-sure isn't the most generative of states.  There may be better kinds of respect.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 07:51:40 AM »
Ai!  So complex.  Is anyone else feeling, like, 14 years old?  Do people seriously have these debates any more?

A more mature topic will be:

If I am to be responsible for the well-being of other people, how best will this be expressed?

And if you do put it like that, you will--absolutely, positively will--discover that different kinds of people value different kinds of expression.  EXPRESSION!  Expression being positive, and suppression being... well, nothing. 

Respect might well incline one to close one's mouth sometimes, but that for shit-sure isn't the most generative of states.  There may be better kinds of respect.

Maybe discussions of manners and respect should have been had when we were young.  aoaoaoaoao But this is definitely a topic of discussion on many fora, in many 'standards and quality' meetings for movies, TV/radio shows etc. 

You invite 10 people to your house. 7 of them smoke.  You don't, you don't want people smoking in your house.  What do you do?  Ask them to respect your views, or respect their right to smoke IN YOUR HOUSE?  As a compromise you may ask them to smoke outside.  They can still smoke, their right to smoke hasn't been revoked, but they also need to respect you.

We are a community. We have already established limits in many areas, requiring people to behave in certain ways to ensure harmony.  What is SOOOOO invasive about this minor one??   If it maintains the harmony here, shows respect to a certain group, allows people to contribute and you can still write home to your granny with a letter full of obscenities, where is the problem??

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
You invite 10 people to your house. 7 of them smoke.  You don't, you don't want people smoking in your house.  What do you do?  Ask them to respect your views, or respect their right to smoke IN YOUR HOUSE?  As a compromise you may ask them to smoke outside.  They can still smoke, their right to smoke hasn't been revoked, but they also need to respect you.

In my house?  They smoke the fuck outside. 

But then, my house is a cave and most people aren't welcome anyway.  People who visit already know what they're getting in to.

We are a community. We have already established limits in many areas, requiring people to behave in certain ways to ensure harmony.  What is SOOOOO invasive about this minor one??   If it maintains the harmony here, shows respect to a certain group, allows people to contribute and you can still write home to your granny with a letter full of obscenities, where is the problem??

Not sure.  Perhaps I haven't seen the benefit of such a curtailment.  What is the benefit?  Harmony?  This harmony serves what purpose?  The better for people to discuss China?

It seems draconian.  How about people just grow up?

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2009, 02:40:50 PM »
I must admit to being surprised by some of the words used. I must also say that I am in awe of some of the members because of their ability to use the English language.Perhaps this is because I have no University education. To get to the point,I just want to say that I find it helps me to better understand the personalities of the posters,when they express themselves naturally.There are words used which I would not use,but I think that helps me to build up a more accurate picture of the poster.I'd rather know WHO you are rather than who you want me to think you are, therefore I value your honesty.  bfbfbfbfbf

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
 This issue is so trivial to me I can't even believe we are having this conversation. kkkkkkkkkk

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
this thread indeed doesn't seem to be going anywhere and if anything, it's just gonna generate again....

it's going from a simple poll asking for opinions to a boxing match.... fair enough, it's going to the wrestling pit and have at it there.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
Thanks, 'Noles.
All I wanted was the simple poll, to help me get a gauge on the issue here... llllllllll

So many things slung around...

I left the poll binary by choice after considering some options. In essence it seems to come down to a binary "censor/don't censor" decision, and I didn't want grey areas muddying things up. "Censor some" is really hard to quantify and enforce.

But the poll as such is perfectly fair and fine, or at least about as close as can happen.
BOTH choices have multiple interpretations.

"Don't censor" can take in "say whatever you want" or "I can tolerate a reasonable amount of foul language".

"Censor" can mean "I'm genuinely offended by these words", or "I'm not really bothered by the words but I want to exercise some control over others, especially the ones I don't like" or "I'm not really bothered by the words but I'm voting in sympathy with some friends".

The poll is fine.

Bottom line: We are requesting people that people please be considerate and moderate their use of profanity. And that's about as far as it goes. If you can't deal with that, I'm really sorry.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
Bottom line: We are requesting people that people please be considerate and moderate their use of profanity. And that's about as far as it goes. If you can't deal with that, I'm really sorry.

Well said Boss, I agree that is what it boils down to.
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »

Riz

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »
I know of a way to give vent to your anger!

Get drunk as a skunk at home first and hop into a crowded and noisy bar. Sit at a table and shout as loud as you can. No one can hear what you are saying. Swear as much as you can. I sometimes, use a crazy bar as an anger management center in China.

Cussin' in da saloon does not give you 'the feeling'as much as it does at a bar!!

Try tonite! It's Saturday!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.

Sir Fudge Loving

• I got your back...
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »
It boils down to knowing when, where, and with whom you can curse around, and which words are appropriate for the person, the context, and/or the situation. The situation, apparently, is there are some who find the language offensive here on this forum. Admittedly, I've found a few choice words used in someone's posts pretty offensive. It's becoming all too common; hence the concerns, and rightly so because I may have to hear this language on the subway with pants dropping, bandana wearing gangstas cursing in front of children and the elderly, I have to hear it way too many times among my students--which by the  way, are immediately castigated for doing so, and I have to hear it on the latest t.v. reality show. I can change my mode of transportation, I can change my occupation, and I can change the channel. Right? No, I can't. I don't have to hear it, and I don't have to put up with it, and I don't have to read it, but I can state something about it, I can state how offensive it is. I mean, there is a limit, and there are boundaries--everywhere, and if you don't define those boundaries, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Those boundaries are defined by respect--unseen, but heard and read by others who may not embrace an exhaustive litany of profanities.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:51:36 AM by Sir Fudge Loving »
Are you packin'?

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »
I think Sir Fudge Loving said how I feel and many of the others feel very eloquently  bfbfbfbfbf

I can swear like a trooper when I am upset, but I don't do it in writing. 

I absolutely love the way Eric swears.  akakakakak akakakakak His command of the English language and all the nuances thereof is astounding.   bfbfbfbfbf

I also feel we have all thoroughly expressed our opinions in this thread and additional replies ( pro or con) would just be redundancy.  akakakakak  However, I am not in any way saying that anyone shouldn't post, as that would in itself be wrong. ahahahahah agagagagag
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:20:28 PM by dragonsaver »
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.