beijing traffic

• 5 replies
beijing traffic
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:14:01 AM »
i just spent 1.8 hours traveling back from work tonight.
this is my own fault for taking a taxi but, after 9 classes and having 6 books on my back i felt i wanted to rest in a cab....big mistake

i always wondered back home why people got mad and made jokes about chinese drivers.
if people drive like this all across china then its a nightmare!!

no common sense being utilized here.
3 million cars.. thats about the population of my hometown. sick thought.

im sticking with the subway.

commuting in beijing is a competition. in all ways.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: beijing traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 07:13:49 PM »
 I live on the north side of the fourth ring road so I see the bumper to bumper to bumper rush hour traffic on a daily basis. The weather is actually always a few degrees warmer in my area than it is twenty minutes north because of the heat generated by all the cars and pollution.

A lot of times taking a cab here just isn't in an option. Too expensive and too slow. The busses are human sardine cans and even slower. The metro is the way to go for me it still takes over an hour to get Dong Zhi Men from my home. Making this trip with a baby in a stroller requires lugging him and his stuff up endless flights of stairs. This why I rarely venture out of my neighbourhood here.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
I walked from Houhai to Dongsishitiao. That be good 5km or even more. They have cut taxis twice in Beijing due to traffic and pollution. And also they are implementing that even/odd numbers thing little by little.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
my buddy works in the traffic bureau. 3 million registered cars in beijing.

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
my buddy works in the traffic bureau. 3 million registered cars in beijing.

And 5 million Un-registered??
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
and a billion bikes. haha