Top 5 Reasons I Hate Changsha

• 24 replies

NATO

Re: Top 5 Reasons I Hate Changsha
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/26/everyone-connected-death-of-conversation

I first noticed it in a restaurant. The place was strangely quiet, and at one table a group seemed deep in prayer. Their heads were bowed, their eyes hooded and their hands in their laps. I then realised that every one, young and old, was gazing at a handheld phone. People strolled the street outside likewise, with arms crooked at right angles, necks bent and heads in potentially crippling postures. Mothers with babies were doing it. Students in groups were doing it. They were like zombies on call. There was no conversation.

Every visit to California convinces me that the digital revolution is over, by which I mean it is won. Everyone is connected. The New York Times last week declared the death of conversation. While mobile phones may at last be falling victim to etiquette, this is largely because even talk is considered too intimate a contact. No such bar applies to emailing, texting, messaging, posting and tweeting. It is ubiquitous, the ultimate connectivity, the brain wired full-time to infinity.

The MIT professor and psychologist Sherry Turkle claims that her students are close to mastering the art of sustaining eye contact with a person while texting someone else. It is like an organist playing different tunes with hands and feet. To Turkle, these people are "alone together … a tribe of one". Anyone with 3,000 Facebook friends has none.

The audience in a New York theatre now sit, row on row, with lit machines in their laps, looking to the stage occasionally but mostly scrolling and tapping away. The same happens at meetings and lectures, in coffee bars and on jogging tracks. Children are apparently developing a dexterity in their thumbs unknown since the evolution of the giant sloth. Talk is reduced to the muttered, heads-down expletives brilliantly satirised in the BBC's Twenty Twelve.

It seems they're just catching up with us well-mannered beasts.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:53:24 PM by NATO »

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Just wait until the new phones implanted into people's bodies become available. aoaoaoaoao
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/26/everyone-connected-death-of-conversation

I first noticed it in a restaurant. The place was strangely quiet, and at one table a group seemed deep in prayer. Their heads were bowed, their eyes hooded and their hands in their laps. I then realised that every one, young and old, was gazing at a handheld phone. People strolled the street outside likewise, with arms crooked at right angles, necks bent and heads in potentially crippling postures. Mothers with babies were doing it. Students in groups were doing it. They were like zombies on call. There was no conversation.

Every visit to California convinces me that the digital revolution is over, by which I mean it is won. Everyone is connected. The New York Times last week declared the death of conversation. While mobile phones may at last be falling victim to etiquette, this is largely because even talk is considered too intimate a contact. No such bar applies to emailing, texting, messaging, posting and tweeting. It is ubiquitous, the ultimate connectivity, the brain wired full-time to infinity.

The MIT professor and psychologist Sherry Turkle claims that her students are close to mastering the art of sustaining eye contact with a person while texting someone else. It is like an organist playing different tunes with hands and feet. To Turkle, these people are "alone together … a tribe of one". Anyone with 3,000 Facebook friends has none.

The audience in a New York theatre now sit, row on row, with lit machines in their laps, looking to the stage occasionally but mostly scrolling and tapping away. The same happens at meetings and lectures, in coffee bars and on jogging tracks. Children are apparently developing a dexterity in their thumbs unknown since the evolution of the giant sloth. Talk is reduced to the muttered, heads-down expletives brilliantly satirised in the BBC's Twenty Twelve.

It seems they're just catching up with us well-mannered beasts.

Yeah, I read that too and thought he was describing China pretty well.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
After three years of living and teaching in the PRC, I've seemingly had more than my fair share of students from Hunan and Changsha. I haven't been to Hunan or Changsha yet, but I plan to go. This thread will not deter me!  kkkkkkkkkk

I have a friend from Australia who absolutely LOVES Changsha ... he said the girls there were gorgeous, and he loved the city and the food! Any truth to these so-called FACTS?   mmmmmmmmmm

--GA
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Rodríguez.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
If you like spicy, you'll like Hunan food and Hunan girls.  akakakakak
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Changsha Sucks. Don't go there.

Leave it all for me

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »

Leave it all for me

haha.. i had to quote this to see the response from the man that's been there since the ming dynasty  uuuuuuuuuu
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 04:13:42 AM »
Stil,  you afraid of a little competition with the girls  ahahahahah ahahahahah
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »

I have a friend from Australia who absolutely LOVES Changsha ... he said the girls there were gorgeous, and he loved the city and the food! Any truth to these so-called FACTS?   mmmmmmmmmm

--GA

I'd have to see a photo of your Aussie mate first and perhaps talk to him. uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
Please also do not go to Nanjing. Leave it all for me.