Favourite TV drama of all time?

• 53 replies
Re: Favourite TV drama of all time?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »
What?  No votes for Gilligan's Island?  mmmmmmmmmm

No, that was a love story.

Having a ball watching The Tudors.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
I recently started going through entire seasons of TV series on Netflix and so far I have fallen in love with Californication. Now that's a damn show! My other favorite was The X Files, also with David Duchovny. Fringe to fill the gap the show left in the sci-fi genre for the '00s but it was an abject failure. I dropped it after the first season.

I enjoy House but have little patience for the predictably schmaltzy social commentary. C'mon, every patient cannot possibly be some kind of spokesperson for whatever retarded obsession he has!

As far as Lost, I discovered it on Netflix earlier this year and went through all five seasons in something like two months. Grades suffered. Girlfriend complained. Tummy rumbled. But I finished it. Soon as I was done, season six started—I dropped it after the third episode. The plot is lost (if you'll allow). The show has generally fallen into the same rut in which Fringe wallowed from the beginning, wherein characters go around acting "dramatic" and "alarmed" over, um... nothing particularly meaningful. "Jacob said I was chosen!" "What?! You? Hm...I guess I can't kill you now as I was about to two minutes ago."

This whole pseudo-spiritual "who will lead the island" mumbo jumbo has completely ruined the series. It has collapsed beneath the weight of its own overwrought mythology. The delightfully conflicted Sawyer character has been robbed of all his threat and the Jack character has gone from an admirable hero valiantly struggling to overcome his own faults to a listless, disoriented puppy. Evangeline Lilly has aged ten years within the span of two seasons. Random plot connections are created arbitrarily. Jack and Kate siblings? Give me a break. What a shame.

Other stuff I like are classic '80s stuff like MacGuyver and Knight Rider. I'm generally a sucker for '80s stuff, the cornier the better.

What I should do now is go watch some Deadwood 'cause I've seen it mentioned repeatedly in this thread. Must be good! I should also check out Oz, which I never really paid much attention to.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:12:38 PM by Invictus »
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

Monkey King

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
What I should do now is go watch some Deadwood 'cause I've seen it mentioned repeatedly in this thread. Must be good!

Oh how I envy you! I still remember that glorious cuss-word and whisky filled summer we spent together, Deadwood and I...

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »
Oh how I envy you! I still remember that glorious cuss-word and whisky filled summer we spent together, Deadwood and I...

Sounds like a good ol' time. lol agagagagag

By the way, anyone here familiar with an Australian show called Satisfaction? I've been meaning to have a look-see.
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

Dex

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
Just bought a swathe of DVDs - Cold Feet (something for the lady); Psychoville - top horror comedy made by the League of Gentleman boys - and would you believe... I found probably the most unlikely of UK comedies here - Yes Minister!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were two of my favourite Britcoms. Absolutely hilarious, but I often had to listen for a second or third time to catch everything.

"Whose country is this, anyway? Ours or the Americans?"
"There are two main schools of thought on that, Prime Minister, and I have to admit that I hold to the minority opinion. I think it's ours"

Mimi

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »
I fell in love with Skins in China, it really is a great show (even if it is a bit... much).  But, Battlestar Galactica wins for best TV show.

Now that Lost is over, I may start watching it  ahahahahah

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
Battlestar Galactica was great. I also enjoyed Hustle and Spooks.
"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson

Dex

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 03:33:51 AM »
The theme to Battlestar Galactica was awesome!

http://box.zhangmen.baidu.com/m?word=mp3,http://www.tuneusin.com/mobi/files/tone/Mp3%20Tones/ThemeMusic/c4V6YXilo6efm5SgdqSroJafMw$$.mp3,,[battlestar+galactica+theme]&gate=1&ct=134217728&tn=baidumt,Theme%20from%20Batt%2001%20Colonial%20Anthem%20Battlestar%20Galactica:%20Season&si=;;;;0;;0&lm=16777216&mtid=15&d=1
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture