Prospective Teacher - Misc. Questions on TEFL Programs, Placement, Pay, etc.

• 23 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Why not look into teaching IB at an international school? It pays better, plus you generally get more "perks."

Good advice, but international schools are generally not a first teaching job, especially for those without a teaching credential. It will probably be necessary to get some experience in the trenches first.

Plus, if I remember right the OP has no degree...putting international schools (if not the whole China idea) completely out of reach... kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

gonzo

Plus, if I remember right the OP has no degree...putting international schools (if not the whole China idea) completely out of reach... kkkkkkkkkk

My assumption was that accountant=degree. Maybe just my local understanding. The OP has been absent from the thread for a while......
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

I think that is a different OP who has no degree?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
At your age, you will not be able to get a work visa without good connections in high places locally. We have members of this forum that had been working as English teachers for many years but once they reached 65 they were unable to get their papers for legal work and in some cases this was with their school trying to help and very good health. I fear at 70 years old and no (verifiable) experience it would be near impossible. These days it's getting more difficult to receive a work visa as more restrictions are being put in place and enforced.

Am I having a stroke, or did this thread get re-animated and some of the body parts get switched out?  I was ready to give my 2 cents, and then I saw a post by Him, and checked the dates.  Then something about age of the OP.  Oh, well, I'm just waiting on my Residence Permit renewal.  And it's hot outside.  Let's dig 'em all up!

EDIT:  Ok, I just saw that the thread got split.  Not confused anymore (not a lifetime guarantee, though.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:42:47 PM by roadwalker »

Still must have been replying just as I split and as a result his post got left behind.:)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Yeah, it's hard to time that. You have to have years of experience to do it.

BrandeX

Who are we talking to? The OP made a couple posts back in November, and never came back to the site since.

llllllllll

Look. The new topic is here. http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=8507.0

Jesus made a post in the wrong place, I split it into a new topic. A straggler or two got left behind. Nothing left to see here, now let this post go back to the graveyard where it belongs.