I am the 800th member, HI!!----and will I ever work in China?

• 43 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: I am the 800th member, HI!!----and will I ever work in China?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
There are probably many people working in China with fake degrees that don't even know they are doing so. They apply with no degree and a recruiter manufactures one without their knowledge to get the necessary government documents to appease a school.

Training centres especially may advertise you and inflate your qualifications without you agreeing.

Representing yourself with a fake degree is scummy. Don't expect any support from those that have put in the time, money, sweat and stress to earn theirs. Eating ramen everyday and giving blood to get cups of coffee so that I lose a job to your fake Master's degree.

Scumbag.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
I seem to vaguely remember something about how nasty another forum got with China newbies, and how different we were over here. mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »
If you apply using a fake degree you are a lying, unprofessional scumbag.

That might be a bit much. I've known excellent teachers and good friends who worked on fake degrees. I wouldn't exactly recommend the practice myself, but scumbags...? kkkkkkkkkk

Fair enough; consider the epithet changed to 'less than desirable potential colleagues'. I guess I have a few anger issues, and you're right about not treating this forum like the greasy spoon. I just tink there's an issue when people use the perceived imperfections of a system or culture as an excuse for poor behaviour. Although the staggering hypocrisy of my saying this almost sickens me, I think that we should treat employers in China in line with how we'd like them to treat us. If an employer chooses to try to circumvate the law by obtaining a fake degree for the teacher, then the fault lies with the school. I wouldn't be too harsh on a teacher that went along with these kind of shannanigans because the world is full of 'this is how it's done here' dilemas.

I must confess I assumed Escaped Lunatic wasn't being serious about getting a fake degree, so I didn't think I was attacking anybody personally, (just theoretical LTDPCs) least of all EL. I think it's an important issue though, especially in regard to how much we should circumvent Chinese law when it doesn't suit our objectives. I'm quite comfortable with a lot of circumventing at our own risk, but not when it involves deceiving a potential employer.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
I personally wouldn't apply for a job with one bought from a diploma mill.  Happily, I got my degrees from the University of Sun and Fun (Our motto: Accident if Learning), which somehow keeps bribing the legitimate accreditation agencies so that those courses in advanced sunbathing can be counted towards a science degree. uuuuuuuuuu

My interest was more hypothetical regarding whether a diploma mill degree would be checked or not.  I wouldn't recommend really doing it, since if anyone with a clue about google decided to check, it would take far less than 10 minutes to determine if the diploma mill was truly accredited by a legit agency or not.  Even if it's not checked 799 times in a row, you never know if #800 will get checked by some new guy who wants to impress his boss.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:45 AM »
Sorry to wander off topic again but i,ve always wondered who actually checks the validity of the degree?
Is it the schools job or the mob that gives us our FEC? mmmmmmmmmm
i,m not crazy, my reality is just different to your's

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
Well, I think we've managed to chase off Watchtower, who seemed a nice enough guy and an active, posting member.

Niiice going. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
Not chased off. Just so many assumptions made in this thread. Raoul, if/when I make it to BJ we can have a beer if you are there.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:05:07 PM by watchtower »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
Better make it Tulsa, Oklahoma, pardner. Here for the foreseeable... ananananan

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
Back when I took the Greyhound cross country I remember Tulsa. Those were the days! :candyraver:

Dinosaurs ruled the earth at that time.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »
Well, I think we've managed to chase off Watchtower, who seemed a nice enough guy and an active, posting member.

Not chased off.

Must try harder to frighten new members.  Must try harder to frighten new members.
Must try harder to frighten new members.  Must try harder to frighten new members.

Hey Watchtower!  Did you know that Pandas aren't really endangered?  They really breed like rabbits.  The bad news is that their primary food source isn't bamboo.  They prefer to eat human flesh.

Back when I took the Greyhound cross country I remember Tulsa. Those were the days! :candyraver:

Dinosaurs ruled the earth at that time.

And now dinosaurs only rule Oklahoma. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
A SLUT

That's Tulas spelt backwards.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »
Well, "Tulas" spelled backwards would be "salut"...right, KnitStil? uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
It isn't like any of these responses to the question have been unreasonable...you were answered promptly, and people have to make asumptions when your posts are 10 words long....

Anywho, if you managed to somehow set yourself up for living on a tourist visa, finding students would be difficult.

Occasionally when I go to bars, people ask me to tutor them, the next day they have forgotten or are not committed.

Several part time  jobs dont last long because people realise that learning English isn't like a montage in a romantic comedy, but is in fact difficult and boring.  There are private schools that would possibly take you on no degree (illegally) and would drop you the second they get inspected or bored with you. it happens..

Basically, you cant live well with your plan, and if you get a fake degree then to paraphrase stil 'you're a nob'

If you're rich and you want to lose money by paying for a business visa and having a tutoring school fail, then it's an option, but not exactly a good plan.