Getting Immunizations While in China

• 5 replies
Getting Immunizations While in China
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
I went to get my immunizations today, and since a couple of the vaccinations are done in series I'm only able to complete 2/3 injections. The nurse told me to do the 3rd one in China (talking about Twinrex btw) and I was wondering if it's easy to get these while there. I'll be in Nanjing.

Also, the ones I'm getting are:
-Polio
-Typhoid
-Twinrex for Hep. A and B (only 2/3 injections before I leave)
-Prescription for Cipro (diarrhea)
-Influenza (unavailable everywhere I looked in the US because it's not in season)
-Tetanus

These are the ones that the travel doctor told me to get, but if there's any that I look like I'm missing I'd appreciate it if you guys could give me a heads up :)

Thanks

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Getting Immunizations While in China
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:49 AM »
Best of luck.

My Hep B vaccinations (from the USA) failed to work, so I'm getting a new round at one of the nicest hospitals in Dongguan.  At least they have Hep B shots.  I'll be getting a full hep panel a few months after finishing and see if it worked this time.  I'll also have that done at least once per year to make sure it keeps working.

They don't carry Hep A vaccines or anything else, except Rabies, for which they don't seem to fully get the concept of immunization vs treatment. llllllllll

I've heard rumors of a "special" hospital just for vaccinations, but haven't managed to hunt it down.

Hopefully Nanjing will make this easier.

BTW - Cipro for diarrhea?  Whatever is your doc smoking?  Bring some Pepto Bismal tabs and at least one other over the counter treatment.  Once you get past your first few rounds visiting the street vendors or super-spicy Hunan restaurants, you should be fine.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
Wow.  No one else had any advice.  If I'm the best you've got, you're in trouble. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »
At least some travel clinics recommend, for at least some areas of China, rabies and Japanese encephalitis vaccinations. I think those are mainly for rural areas, but it may be worth asking your doctor about them or searching the web for official advice.

The old cholera vaccine I had decades ago was not very effective. For some international travel requirements, you needed it every six months. I met an Indian medical team -- flying squad of doctors, nurses and Land Rovers -- whose job was specifically to put down cholera outbreaks in remote villages. They got vaccinated every six weeks and some still got sick.

The new oral cholera vaccines seem worth looking into since they also give some protection against travellers' diarrhea. One reference is:
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/05vol31/asc-dcc-7/index-eng.php
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »

Check out the Benq hospital in nanjing. In my opinion it is the best treatment u can get here that is affordable(forget about SOS & the rest of the clinics that cater to expats).

You can get metro line 1 to Zhongsheng and it is a 5 min walk from there.

English address
Gulou Qu He Xi Da Jie 71 hao (Di Tie Zhong Sheng Zhan Fu Jin)
Chinese address
地址: 鼓楼区河西大街71号(近地铁中胜站)
Telephone
86-25-58858800
Website
www.benqhospital.com/eportal/
Hits
Votes
Submit reviewRecommendPrintVisit
Rate this listing
★★★
2 votes
Favoured:
A semi-international class hospital where available doctors might speak some English, prices are reasonable, and service is sound.

If you run into health problems and aren't blassed with generous expat package coverage, this is probably your best bet for quality care in Nanjing.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »
PJ, I am certain you can find the Twinrix booster in Nanjing. Actually, I believe tetanus is the only really worthwhile vaccination of all those listed, unless a person plans to venture into the outback.

I received Havrix for Hep A in 1996 and 1997. Does anyone know the efficacy periods for Havrix or Twinrix?